Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 01:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m just annoyed that everyone else’s destination seems to be the cape.
They’re equally annoyed with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 01:36 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m just annoyed that everyone else’s destination seems to be the cape.

You do realize you are part of that weekend cape travel that you are annoyed with right?

Old 07-31-2020, 02:17 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Sounds like you're going on vacation every weekend, then!

A beachhouse rental with a kitchen and takeout for a week sounds safer than commuting back and forth between families to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

You do realize you are part of that weekend cape travel that you are annoyed with right?
This. Mad at others going to the Cape yet going to the Cape...40 mins away means nothing and upset people are on vacation yet takes a vaca every weekend. WTF

Old 07-31-2020, 02:19 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
One of my favorite shut downs that I've heard was when someone at work complained about being stuck in traffic. Another coworker said, "You're not in traffic, you are traffic."

At least traffic for a work commute is a necessity for many. Cape vacations are not. And unless you live on the Cape, it's kind of laughable to complain about the summer crowds down there when you literally are part of the summer crowd.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:23 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
one of my favorite shut downs that i've heard was when someone at work complained about being stuck in traffic. Another coworker said, "you're not in traffic, you are traffic."

at least traffic for a work commute is a necessity for many. Cape vacations are not. And unless you live on the cape, it's kind of laughable to complain about the summer crowds down there when you literally are part of the summer crowd.
+1.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:39 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
A beachhouse rental with a kitchen and takeout for a week sounds safer than commuting back and forth between families to me. .
I know joint custody family who have suspended visitation between kids due to wanting to avoid the back-and-forth travel risk. 3-4 months of not seeing your own kids because they felt the circumstances were serious enough to suspend that. Most have gone back to normal, but with the upcoming school year, many are debating this practice again to minimalize transfer risk if one family gets it.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:04 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I know joint custody family who have suspended visitation between kids due to wanting to avoid the back-and-forth travel risk. 3-4 months of not seeing your own kids because they felt the circumstances were serious enough to suspend that. Most have gone back to normal, but with the upcoming school year, many are debating this practice again to minimalize transfer risk if one family gets it.

Not comparable to being away from your kids, but I didn't see my boyfriend for 85 days.. I am isolated and he is mostly isolated in an area with very little outbreak. Normally we live together half of the time, but he runs an essential business and needed to stay there. 85 days of almost complete isolation aside from curbside pickup at some local farmstands or a monthly grocery run. Most spread is through families or intimate gatherings. Everyone thinks it can't be them, until it is. Even now, we only see each other every other weekend and we both get tested first.

Thankfully, my employer has rolled out our testing program and it's really good. If you are on-campus between full time or 3 days a week, you get tested twice a week. Between 1-2 days a week, you get tested weekly. If you come to campus sporadically, as I do, you get tested every time you go. It's an easy frontal nose swab and results take 24-48 hours. It took about 26 hours for me to get my results back - pretty good considering the testing isn't done on-site.

Going and hanging out at the beach for a weekend is absolutely a vacation, Bridge. I'm sorry if you are so frustrated with your family that you don't see that. Maybe you shouldn't go? It would certainly help reduce density on the Cape!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:14 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Going and hanging out at the beach for a weekend is absolutely a vacation, Bridge. I'm sorry if you are so frustrated with your family that you don't see that. Maybe you shouldn't go? It would certainly help reduce density on the Cape!
Let's not go that far now. While we don't know Bridge's personal situation nor is it any of our business, I can see many hypothetical situations where attending to a family member's needs (such as looking after an elderly parent) is quite different from parking yourself in a beach house for a week with nothing to worry about but you and your immediate family. Especially driving down for one night, even if you are "40 minutes" away you can still hit bridge traffic and become stressful even more so with young kids in the car. And having to turn around and head home the next day. But I too have little tolerance for the finger pointing, saying "I have the right but no one else does".

Old 07-31-2020, 03:32 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Well I’ve been going there my whole life.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
So I should stay away from the house my family owns to let random people from all over have their unsafe vacations ?

A one day vacation in a home I basically own. I learn so many new things here

The ones who must be really irritated are the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts