Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 11:07 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We're still blowing it.

Florida Is having a record number of cases, but I can still hop on a plane, fly there, get a hotel, and go to Disney World if I wanted.

We're blowing it because we tolerate tools like Congressman COVID from Tyler, Texas. There's a big chunk of the country that refuses to make the behavior changes necessary to keep the transmission rate below 1.0. With fairly modest behavior changes, most things can be opened up. 70% of the country lives in single family homes. The vast majority use automobiles as their sole means of transportation. It's inexcusable to not be able to maintain a low transmission rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 11:30 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
GDP shrank 32.9% in Q2

https://www.bea.gov/news/2020/gross-...-annual-update

Old 07-30-2020, 11:35 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
We should totally delay the election so this top-notch federal administration can guide us through this.

And why the heck are we pushing sports to continue (money, I know). Marlins shut down, now Phillies testing positive.

This country is a COVID dumpster fire.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:14 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We're blowing it because we tolerate tools like Congressman COVID from Tyler, Texas. There's a big chunk of the country that refuses to make the behavior changes necessary to keep the transmission rate below 1.0. With fairly modest behavior changes, most things can be opened up. 70% of the country lives in single family homes. The vast majority use automobiles as their sole means of transportation. It's inexcusable to not be able to maintain a low transmission rate.
Drive across our border to the north. Very little mask wearing despite clear and obvious interstate migration from higher rate counties. It's not rational ... completely faith based.

Transmissions will continue to surge given current behavior.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Drive across our border to the north. Very little mask wearing despite clear and obvious interstate migration from higher rate counties. It's not rational ... completely faith based.

Transmissions will continue to surge given current behavior.
Vermont just put in a mask requirement. They are very aware that they need to open up tourism and can’t do it unless the plague people from more urban points to the south all wear masks. I figure that they will relax their quarantine requirement to look more like the Massachusetts one once people get used to masks.

Rhode Island no longer meets the Massachusetts quarantine order metrics. I’m curious how that will work. It’s a $500 fine to violate quarantine to drive over the line and buy gas in Seekonk. I’m wondering if there will be any attempt at all to enforce it.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:49 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
I’m wondering if there will be any attempt at all to enforce it.
I doubt it. And think of the outrage that will follow if they actually did make an attempt to enforce it.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-30-2020 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 01:19 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Already did a national shutdown. Didn't work. All it did was delay the virus spreading in areas that didn't get hit hard before the shutdown.
Nope, read the link I posted. What we did in March/April was not a real shutdown. 9 states never did it, several others did it half-assed. We kept interstate travel going, including air as many have noted here. We kept "essential" work going with a fairly broad definition of essential work. Then the states that "reopened" (Massachusetts excepted) did so well before the CDC guidelines recommended they should have.

All of that impact would have been severe...the point is, it would have been of much shorter duration than what this is ending up being.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:24 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
We should totally delay the election so this top-notch federal administration can guide us through this.

And why the heck are we pushing sports to continue (money, I know). Marlins shut down, now Phillies testing positive.

This country is a COVID dumpster fire.
Agree, and add to that the tragic passing today of Herman Cain, who proudly attended the June 20 Tulsa rally with no masking in sight.

Wonder how the hoaxers are going to spin this one.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree, and add to that the tragic passing today of Herman Cain, who proudly attended the June 20 Tulsa rally with no masking in sight.

Wonder how the hoaxers are going to spin this one.
He drowned in liberal tears?

Old 07-30-2020, 02:05 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
He drowned in liberal tears?
Well, if my social media feed is any indication, the prevailing conservative attitude is RIP to a true American patriot who is being unfairly smeared by a biased liberal press when he did nothing wrong to endanger himself.

In other words, we're the bad guys because only liberals kick good guys when they're down. At this point, even yellow journalism looked downright honest in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts