Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Quite disappointing how people in this country are so dismissive of the virus here. All I hear is "scam" and "plot by the democrats". I typically consider myself to be conservative in nature, but I've had to take a big step back and disassociate myself with that rhetoric. It saddens me how politicized this has become.

While I hesitate to say we need laws/fines/consequences for individual people (I dislike legislating behavior), I really wish more and more people would take it more seriously so we can quickly move past this. I'm not entirely innocent myself in some of the things I've done and the more risks I've been taking lately.

Not surprised given the recent blip.
That's just it. Too many people of all walks in life in this country are either not taking the virus seriously enough and think they'll never catch it or that it is too inconvenient to take up safeguards for long periods of time. The politicians are not at all entirely to blame, Trump, Pelosi, Cuomo, Baker, Walsh, etc. have done their share but it's the common citizen that also has to take responsibility and it's something that has left the American mindset for a generation or two. Just the other day, I saw an old federal government sponsored documentary short from the 1950's instructing people how to respond to a potential nuclear bomb attack. I mean the people were told to literally duck for cover the moment they heard an explosion, school kids, the elderly, a family out enjoying a picnic, everyone. Back then, I'm sure such instructions were taken seriously (I once met an older citizen who said ordinary Americans were truly fearful that the USSR would nuke us in a sneak attack). Nowadays such behavior would be dismissed as far fetched or worse government propoganda as part of a consipiracy for mind control. It is just so hard for the government or even our own society to tell our citizens what to do anymore even matters for their own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:52 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
... Just the other day, I saw an old federal government sponsored documentary short from the 1950's instructing people how to respond to a potential nuclear bomb attack. I mean the people were told to literally duck for cover the moment they heard an explosion, school kids, the elderly, a family out enjoying a picnic, everyone. Back then, I'm sure such instructions were taken seriously (I once met an older citizen who said ordinary Americans were truly fearful that the USSR would nuke us in a sneak attack). Nowadays such behavior would be dismissed as far fetched or worse government propoganda as part of a consipiracy for mind control. It is just so hard for the government or even our own society to tell our citizens what to do anymore even matters for their own good.
Was that Atomic Cafe- duck and cover?

I blame Nixon for the beginning of the severe distrust.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Was that Atomic Cafe- duck and cover?

I blame Nixon for the beginning of the severe distrust.
Yes you are right, that is the film title. Wikipedia says the film was indeed derided as government propaganda but more recent scientists and historians shed some truth from it.

And yes, I agree that the Vietnam and Watergate Era was the beginning of the end of trust in government, which coincided with what is arguably the birth of the most material and consumer driven generation in our history. A combination of government distrust, insatiable appetite for consumer materials, and a a lack of an actual societal impact for decades has left our entire nation and society lost, unprepared, untrustworthy, and blind to the coronavirus pandemic. Imagine if we had more than enough of a stockpile of medical supplies, twice the number of hospital beds, and a steady contingent of American citizens able to contribute at a moment's notice at the beginning of the pandemic. It would have reflected so different in our society.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
I suppose there’s not much that can be done to enforce anything. Even that $500 travel fee seems ridiculous. What is the point in even distancing or trying to stop this if we’re just going to see images like that cruise ship or packed to the max resorts? For every person trying to stop the spread there are many others who don’t care.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:17 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Nowadays such behavior would be dismissed as far fetched or worse government propoganda as part of a consipiracy for mind control.
Exactly. All through this site you can read examples of it. I was just reading a thread from another state on mask use, and so many references to "Gov't cant tell me what to do", "The gov't just wants to control us" or "People are so easily brainwashed".

It's not just the gov't people don't trust, but now they feel scientists and health officials are in on it too.

I design filters and masks for a living. It's a subject matter i'm obviously fluent in, and have engaged in a few conversations on this site and elsewhere in an attempt to educate. The amount of incorrect info, and pushback I've seen on masks/materials and mask theory has been astounding. People are convinced they are right, and any expert trying to educate them is in on some conspiracy or has some sort of agenda. It's really eye-opening, and disturbing actually. I've since stopped trying to educate.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:

I design filters and masks for a living. It's a subject matter i'm obviously fluent in, and have engaged in a few conversations on this site and elsewhere in an attempt to educate. The amount of incorrect info, and pushback I've seen on masks/materials and mask theory has been astounding. People are convinced they are right, and any expert trying to educate them is in on some conspiracy or has some sort of agenda. It's really eye-opening, and disturbing actually. I've since stopped trying to educate.

Besides the 24-hour news cycle and social media, I do think the degree of pushback is at least partly the screaming fear those people have of the truth- that the reality is pretty bad, there isn't much to be done, and therefore a very emotional need to believe nonsense. It's not something I like knowing about people, but I think it's a factor.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Exactly. All through this site you can read examples of it. I was just reading a thread from another state on mask use, and so many references to "Gov't cant tell me what to do", "The gov't just wants to control us" or "People are so easily brainwashed".

It's not just the gov't people don't trust, but now they feel scientists and health officials are in on it too.

We have a culture of conclusion shopping instead of hypothesis testing. It truly is the darkest irony that in a society made so affluent (overall) by innovation in science that such a huge segment reject science out of hand.

Old 07-27-2020, 11:52 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

... Just the other day, I saw an old federal government sponsored documentary short from the 1950's instructing people how to respond to a potential nuclear bomb attack. I mean the people were told to literally duck for cover the moment they heard an explosion, school kids, the elderly, a family out enjoying a picnic, everyone. Back then, I'm sure such instructions were taken seriously (I once met an older citizen who said ordinary Americans were truly fearful that the USSR would nuke us in a sneak attack). Nowadays such behavior would be dismissed as far fetched or worse government propoganda as part of a consipiracy for mind control. It is just so hard for the government or even our own society to tell our citizens what to do anymore even matters for their own good.

What we were told (to paraphrase)-- If you are near an air raid shelter, run to it. But usually you won't have time. You will see a bright light, much brighter than any light you ever saw before. No matter where you are, drop to the ground and put your hands around the back of your neck...Yes, we believed it and the threat was always in the back of our minds. Duck and cover was the same position but you were underneath your desk at school. We also had air raid drills that were like fire drills and we would all troop off to the school basement. We took it seriously.

When I grew up, I read that this was a bunch of balony from the government and it wouldn't have done any good. But no one questioned it and we believed the Russians were going to nuke us at any given moment.

I stopped trusting government during the Viet Nam War. But I trust common sense and what drs tell us during a pandemic, especially if drs all over the world are saying the same thing.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
I think rather than expecting everyone to hide in the house we need to be more open to herd immunity.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:34 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I think rather than expecting everyone to hide in the house we need to be more open to herd immunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts