Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2020, 05:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Huh? Schools have been online for awhile. It was authorized awhile back and frankly at least on a high school level it works. My girlfriend is a teacher and she's teaching a few summer classes online. So I don't know what you are thinking as if there's no education at all. The debate is in person or online. Many districts have provided chrome books and there's discounted high speed internet. There was no coup by teachers unions...No one is advocating that schools totally shut down all forms of education (including online).
As linked by another poster above, the Massachusetts Teachers Association in association with several other unions announced yesterday that they have ‘won’ the concession of having the required learning days reduced from 180 to 170 for the upcoming school year. They termed this reduction of 10 days as “a huge victory”.

Many districts are planning on using these days to delay the start of the upcoming school year. During this time all forms of education will be shut down. Another 10 days the kids will not be learning from their teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Some of this really gets old.
Agreed, our children getting the short end of the stick definitely gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 06:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I'm still worried that a vaccine will be announced in October under pressure from the administration.
+1

It’s more than just a worry. It’s pretty much a sure thing that mass inoculations will be available before the election. There will be less than 90 days of data on the 30,000 people in Phase III trials. That’s not enough time to determine safety and effectiveness. I made the comment a couple of pages back that I’d probably try to get my vaccine in Canada if they have a different answer. My sister owns all the blood and immune science in Canada and is in the middle of all of it as chief scientist. I’ll do what she recommends. My knowledge is insufficient other than the sure thing that Trump will say anything, do anything, and corrupt any process to get elected. I don’t trust the Trump FDA at all. The most recent things out of the CDC are massively politicized. I’ll watch Germany. I’ll watch Japan. I think there will be a good vaccine option next winter but there won’t be the data on Election Day to pick the best one.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
You could for instance delay the school year by two+ months and just have no summer 21. The teachers union would go nuclear over that.

You can have classes, but if you do distance learning kids aren't going to learn anything. This will be especially bad in poor districts where the teachers/administration/parents have zero accountability.
Are you going to install air conditioning in all the schools? Imagine what a classroom would be like today.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:05 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Are you going to install air conditioning in all the schools? Imagine what a classroom would be like today.
+1

Some schools don't even have opening windows. They can get pretty unbearable in early Sept, let alone July. Now try sitting in that heat with a mask on all day long.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:09 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Our nation's schools all need some rethinking. Pupils in Aristotle's Lyceum moved around quite a lot and lectures were given by their teachers walking around an open courtyard with them. They did not sit glued to their seats for hours on end.

To encourage social distancing, our schools should also experiment with open classes like that, at least on days when the weather is good. Then do virtual education on days that are not.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:34 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
+1

...My sister owns all the blood and immune science in Canada and is in the middle of all of it as chief scientist. I’ll do what she recommends. My knowledge is insufficient other than the sure thing that Trump will say anything, do anything, and corrupt any process to get elected. I don’t trust the Trump FDA at all. The most recent things out of the CDC are massively politicized. I’ll watch Germany. I’ll watch Japan. I think there will be a good vaccine option next winter but there won’t be the data on Election Day to pick the best one.
I look forward to your posts about this.

I don't personally think that a vaccine in any acceptable form will be available before the election, plus I imagine an awful lot of people would refuse to get it in that period of time. I personally am happy to take vaccines, but not something that has been politicized and rushed through. I am also waiting to see what other countries do.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:41 AM

I don't think a vaccine will trickle down to me for some time. I'm not in a high risk group, don't partake in high-risk activities/jobs, and don't live with anyone deemed high risk.

That means i'll likely be waiting on the sideline for some time so hopefully some good data and feedback can be obtained well before it's my turn. I'm not anti-vaccine, but I do like to see such things properly vetted out and not rushed.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
On a positive note, Moderna has started dosing patients in its Phase 3 study. They also announced an additional $0.5B in gov./BARDA funding.

https://investors.modernatx.com/news...-against-covid

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/healt...e-3/index.html

.....and Pfizer/BioNTech just announced the intiation of their Phase 3 trial .....messenger RNA approach, like Moderna's

- 30,000 patients in 120 countries
- Regulatory review as early as October
- Plan to supply up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...ne-candidate-0

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/...pivotal-study/

The U.S. government has already placed an initial order of 100 million doses for $1.95 billion with Pfizer/BioNTech, and can acquire up to 500 million additional doses

Old 07-28-2020, 08:56 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
As linked by another poster above, the Massachusetts Teachers Association in association with several other unions announced yesterday that they have ‘won’ the concession of having the required learning days reduced from 180 to 170 for the upcoming school year. They termed this reduction of 10 days as “a huge victory”.

Many districts are planning on using these days to delay the start of the upcoming school year. During this time all forms of education will be shut down. Another 10 days the kids will not be learning from their teachers.

Agreed, our children getting the short end of the stick definitely gets old.
Yeah, I thought the tone was really off in that announcement. Granted, I'm not the target audience, but still. "When we fight, we win" is nothing I want to read when they are making cuts to children's education.

I understand their safety concerns. The better solution would have been to further develop last year's online offerings and promote that as the best solution right now, not spin some BS that they need ten extra days to figure that out.

In contrast, my wife teaches at a private school. She's been involved in meetings throughout the summer to come up with the best plan. And they moved the start of school up, not back.

Very disappointing from the MTA.

Old 07-28-2020, 10:25 AM

Wife’s school district has told the teachers that they won’t be doing full-time, 5 days a week. They are debating a week of half-days or a hybrid program. This hasn’t been relayed to parents just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts