Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand how restaurants are going to pull this off. Their operating costs will increase and their revenue will likely be cut in half.

Are the menu prices going to go way up?
Many restaurants have already quietly increased menu prices while decreasing portion sizes. I also suspect that some restaurants have discovered that they are doing better than expected with a take out only model and are in no rush to reopen for dining bringing a full staff back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 08:39 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post

What's going on with all this extreme altruism lately? Has COVID become the new cause du jour for limousine liberals?
Ah yes, it's the liberals fault.

Some of the most ardent Republicans in my sphere are advocating for continued work-from-home status. Opinions break along risk (to self or immediate loved ones) and education levels, not political ideology.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:43 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Ah yes, it's the liberals fault.

Some of the most ardent Republicans in my sphere are advocating for continued work-from-home status. Opinions break along risk (to self or immediate loved ones) and education levels, not political ideology.
Since the question mark at the end seemed to elude you...

It’s a serious question, because I seriously don’t get it. It wasn’t a swipe at the left - I’m a lib myself. I just don’t get this insane level of snark and condemnation being lobbed at anyone who fails to show an irrational level of fear.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand how restaurants are going to pull this off. Their operating costs will increase and their revenue will likely be cut in half.

Are the menu prices going to go way up?
I think I heard that some were considering a COVID charge added to the bill to cover increased costs.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:54 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
I just don’t get this insane level of snark and condemnation being lobbed at anyone who fails to show an irrational level of fear.

Anecdotally I see this irrational level of fear on CD and I also hear from others that it is prevalent on Facebook although I don't use Facebook so I can't confirm that firsthand. Both of those sites are heavily adopted by boomers so I think the irrational fear is simply driven by boomers who have not yet (or never will) come to terms with their eventual mortality.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Since the question mark at the end seemed to elude you...

It’s a serious question, because I seriously don’t get it. It wasn’t a swipe at the left - I’m a lib myself. I just don’t get this insane level of snark and condemnation being lobbed at anyone who fails to show an irrational level of fear.
I think any rational person can agree on one thing - it's an extremely difficult problem to solve while trying to maintain capitalism and low transmission/IFR.

I can claim UBI for at risk populations is the answer, but I'd be doing so from my SFH low-risk bubble. I don't have a great answer, which is probably the position many policy makers ... at least the ones being intellectually honest ... find themselves in.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:57 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
I'm not sure why the scenario you're vividly painting is so hard for some to wrap their head around.

My employer's small office of 50 has at least 5-8 employees (who I'm aware of) who might fall into the high risk column either due to age or preexisting health issues related to diabetes, compromised immune system (either self or immediate family members at home), or respiratory issues (e.g., history of pneumonia, COPD due to prior exposure).

Fortunately, my employer's office is occupied almost entirely by people who perform risk analysis daily for med device dev, including ECMO and other devices currently used to manage Covid-19. This leads to sober discussions on how to provide safe and equality employment for all employees. The GM has committed the entire year to work-from-home status with the office being utilized only "as needed/wanted".

Obviously my employment situation is unique and unfortunately not reflective of the situation many find themselves in. My 20-something family member was recently terminated for refusing to return to the office, despite her job easily being done remotely, because her immune system was absolutely trashed during cancer treatments as a child and her risk extremely high. Her situation is terrible.
Wow that stinks for your family member. It hasn’t even been that long since this all transpired and seems unreasonable that they couldn’t accommodate her to work remotely if the job was easy to do at home. Do they not realize that a lot of companies are being very flexible? Sounds like a bad company

Old 06-22-2020, 09:01 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I think any rational person can agree on one thing - it's an extremely difficult problem to solve while trying to maintain capitalism and low transmission/IFR.

I can claim UBI for at risk populations is the answer, but I'd be doing so from my SFH low-risk bubble. I don't have a great answer, which is probably the position many policy makers ... at least the ones being intellectually honest ... find themselves in.

I must agree with you from my retirement bubble and former work life in eastern Mass.

My friend who was infected with COVID (64) while working in geriatric dementia and whose wife (71) then got also sick, just returned to work after over 2 months at home. Never hospitalized, no breathing problems, just remarkable and debilitating weakness and exhaustion for weeks. Wife reports still having "brain fog" and mental confusion on basic matters. This is no damn "flu" even if "recovering at home."

Old 06-22-2020, 09:02 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:

Even the "experts" really don't have the answer especially when it comes to balancing the needs of the economy, and pandemic control. That's why I hesitate to call the shots on our leaders right now (even ones I happened to loathe before this all transpired), as I would certainly not want to be in their shoes. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I must agree with you from my retirement bubble and former work life in eastern Mass.

My friend who was infected with COVID (64) while working in geriatric dementia and whose wife (71) then got also sick, just returned to work after over 2 months at home. Never hospitalized, no breathing problems, just remarkable and debilitating weakness and exhaustion for weeks. Wife reports still having "brain fog" and mental confusion on basic matters. This is no damn "flu" even if "recovering at home."
And many people aren't considering the economic impact of people like her being incapacitated and out of work for 2 months. But she was in the high risk minority!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts