Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 03:04 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

My boss is an MD who doesn’t say much but he said if everyone is going back to restaurants then this isn’t going to work. I did go to a restaurant over the weekend, sat outside, wasn’t near anyone and it seemed to be pretty safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 03:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Is your boss an virologist? Only some people are are going back to restaurants, not everyone, so perhaps it will work.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Feels to me like everyone is. I was down the cape this past week and it feel as crowded as ever.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:21 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I don't know anyone willing to eat indoors at this point, and very few people who will eat outside. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just not in my social circle or among my coworkers. If things felt busy on the Cape, that's because lots of people are trying to get into limited outdoor seating. And people who are willing to travel during a pandemic are probably less cautious on the whole.

I think it will be self-selecting. People who are highest risk due to age or health concerns are not likely to be the first to eat in a restaurant. That's a good thing.

Also keep in mind that our community spread is the lowest it has probably been since early March, with an estimated 800-1600 actually getting sick each day (both asymptomatic and symptomatic) based on our low number of positive tests and very low positive rate. Our contact tracing team is able to trace 100% of our current positive cases within 48 hours - the gold standard. It's not enough for me to feel comfortable, but we are in just about as good of shape as we can be sans the virus just disappearing overnight.

I'm a lot more comfortable with people going out to eat in Massachusetts than in Georgia, Florida, SC, or Arizona. A college friend just opened a restaurant in SC and while I want to be happy for him, I couldn't believe seeing photos of a packed restaurant (no 6 feet distance, no skipped tabled or bar chairs) and absolutely zero masks on any of the staff or people up walking around. There were photos of him going table to table to greet everyone - no mask. That wouldn't fly here - not for a second.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:05 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Our contact tracing team is able to trace 100% of our current positive cases within 48 hours - the gold standard.
Not exactly. That 100% is simply based on a model that requires the state to have 5 contact tracers for every new positive case. All it actually means is that the state has enough people to call the contacts that they know of.

There is absolutely no way they are tracing anywhere even close to 100%. The only people they can call are the people who are known to the person who tested positive.

If the newly tested positive person was at a BLM rally, he/she could have infected 100+ people. Unlikely that the person knows the names of more than a handful of them. The state won't be able to call the others.

And this is why getting everybody to use a contact tracing app is the key to keeping this virus under control. The state would be able to call all of those strangers that the newly tested positive person may have infected.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:13 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Not exactly. That 100% is simply based on a model that requires the state to have 5 contact tracers for every new positive case. All it actually means is that the state has enough people to call the contacts that they know of.

There is absolutely no way they are tracing anywhere even close to 100%. The only people they can call are the people who are known to the person who tested positive.

If the newly tested positive person was at a BLM rally, he/she could have infected 100+ people. Unlikely that the person knows the names of more than a handful of them. The state won't be able to call the others.

And this is why getting everybody to use a contact tracing app is the key to keeping this virus under control. The state would be able to call all of those strangers that the newly tested positive person may have infected.

Fair point.

We're never going to get a true 100% unless we have a contact tracing app. Unfortunately, Americans aren't going to go for that.

What contact tracing will do is be able to contact the staff and patrons at a restaurant you went to, the staff and patrons of a salon you went to, your workplace, etc. It's not going to help with more passing transactions with huge groups of people like a protest or grocery store. That's yet another reason why it's so important that everyone wears masks.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:26 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We're never going to get a true 100% unless we have a contact tracing app. Unfortunately, Americans aren't going to go for that.
I'd download and install an app if we had one. However, you're right that American's won't go for it. Frankly, most places won't. Singapore's failed to meet target downloads by a huge margin and that's a country that's far more tolerant of government intervention than the U.S. Rhode Island is well below their target for the app to be successful. It's not just about "Americans going for it" either. Many people fall into the following buckets:
  • Don't have smart phone
  • Don't have a smart phone that's current enough to support the app functionality
  • Don't know how/are unwilling to learn how to set up the phone for contract tracing to be able to work.
  • Don't take their smart phone everywhere with them (i.e. it sits in the center console as they walk around the grocery store, or sits at home as they go for a walk)

Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Not to be construed as an ad but John Hopkins University did put up a coronavirus class on coursera. I'm nearly half done and recommend it.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:20 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
7 day moving average of percent positive is down to 1.9%.

Still wondering about a spike on the Cape.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:24 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
7 day moving average of percent positive is down to 1.9%.

Still wondering about a spike on the Cape.
Nantucket just reported their first case in months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts