Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 11:22 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't do soy either. But tell me this doesn't look damn good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AxydboW8v8
I respect you for having your preference but I am just not a rice person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 12:59 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...low%3Afacebook

^Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if the new mask enforcement applies to people running and biking? It sounds like it’s just relevant “when social distancing isn’t an option”, but that’s seems kind of vague to me.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post

^Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone know if the new mask enforcement applies to people running and biking? It sounds like it’s just relevant “when social distancing isn’t an option”, but that’s seems kind of vague to me.

I'm sure interpretations will vary, but if you can't keep 6 feet or more away from someone, or if you come within 6 feet of someone who cannot move away from you then you should wear a mask.

So if you jog down a busy path and are passing people by closely, then you should have a mask on. If you can stay well enough away from people while doing so, then you don't.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:15 PM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
Quote:

I'm actually not quite sure. I was standing outside in a group of about 8 people yesterday--we were all picking up taco kits at a specific time. We were about 10 - 15 feet apart from each other and we were all asking "Do we need our masks if we are outside?" We all sort of just pulled our masks down because we didn't know and it seemed safe since we were far apart and outside. We were not fined...

Old 05-06-2020, 01:22 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm sure interpretations will vary, but if you can't keep 6 feet or more away from someone, or if you come within 6 feet of someone who cannot move away from you then you should wear a mask.

So if you jog down a busy path and are passing people by closely, then you should have a mask on. If you can stay well enough away from people while doing so, then you don't.
I interpret it the same way. My neighborhood has basically no traffic and enough room that people can easily maintain a 20 foot separation if necessary. No masks. If I went to the Blue Hill where the trails can get narrow and there are way more people, probably should use a mask.

And the 6 foot separation should probably be expanded for people running or cycling. I've seen 15 feet:

For Runners, Is 15 Feet the New 6 Feet for Social Distancing?

It's not clear how much of this is 'security theater' and how much is helpful. I'm sure we'll look back in 10 or 15 years and recognize all the silly stuff we did that doesn't help and all the easy stuff we didn't do that would have, but hindsight is better than foresight.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:21 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I interpret it the same way. My neighborhood has basically no traffic and enough room that people can easily maintain a 20 foot separation if necessary. No masks. If I went to the Blue Hill where the trails can get narrow and there are way more people, probably should use a mask.

And the 6 foot separation should probably be expanded for people running or cycling. I've seen 15 feet:

For Runners, Is 15 Feet the New 6 Feet for Social Distancing?
But if you are running or biking past someone the dwell time that you are within 15' of that person is a small fraction of the time you would be within 15' of that same person if you were both walking. Then there is issue of wind, should we carry an Anemometer around with us, maybe someone will come up with an app that factors in all atmospheric variables. Please tell Gretchen she can pound sand.

Indirectly related but just thought I note this random observation, some people, mostly older people, will come to a stop in the middle of a sidewalk, path, cross walk, whatever, and make it impossible for people to social distance from them.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:37 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

1754 new cases and 208 deaths. 72k confirmed cases and 4420 total deaths

Old 05-06-2020, 02:54 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
not great

Old 05-06-2020, 03:07 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
not great
As the MDPH has stated “There is day-to-day variability in cases reported by testing laboratories and no single day change is indicative of overall cases trends.”

Better to look at the 7 day moving average.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:37 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
As the MDPH has stated “There is day-to-day variability in cases reported by testing laboratories and no single day change is indicative of overall cases trends.”

Better to look at the 7 day moving average.
Right but the past few days numbers have gone up not down. If we are getting more cases but testing less it means there's more as a percentage.

I don't think Baker is willing to open up some parts of mass and not others (by county) like NY is proposing.

I really don't like the idea that some states are arguing that it is "safe" which would encourage more people, potentially with corona to visit and thus make the problem worse.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/safe-be...ic-11588628901

If they don't have ER's and ICU's that's just a glutton for punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts