Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2020, 05:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

Geez. Feels like genocide against old people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 06:33 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Reminds me of one reason i left. Insidiously,obnoxious Mass. people.
People are cooped up inside---they dont want a bunch of obnoxious yahoos driving up and down the street beeping their horns under the disguise of ' a parade'.
Seriously?

I’ve participated in 7 bday parades with my car club for people I don’t even know because their poor kid can’t have a party with their friends these days. The smile I see on those kids faces driving by is worth upsetting one ole grump. Do you actually like anything or do you just enjoy complaining about anything that makes others happy?

Old 05-05-2020, 06:40 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Your just a grumpy old man.

I’ve participated in 7 bday parades with my car club for people o don’t even know because their poor kid can’t have a party with their friends these days. The smile I see on those kids faces is worth upsetting one ole grump. Do you actually like anything or do you just enjoy complaining about anything that makes others happy?
My husband and I do the same thing, we look at the community facebook group every day for folks asking people to drive by and honk for their kids BD and when we drive by we leave a small gift, it's never anything very expensive but we make sure it's sealed in original packaging so mom and dad can wipe off the packaging if they are worried. I feel so bad for those youngsters who would have been having parties in the backyard or in a park with all of their friends that I will continue to do what I can to make their day a little better. (PS I'm not in Massachusetts but this drive by and honk thing seems to be a nationwide phenomenon

Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Seriously?

I’ve participated in 7 bday parades with my car club for people I don’t even know because their poor kid can’t have a party with their friends these days. The smile I see on those kids faces driving by is worth upsetting one ole grump. Do you actually like anything or do you just enjoy complaining about anything that makes others happy?
Thank you for doing that. Same thing is being done here in CT for the poor kids who don't even get to see their friends on their birthday. There's noise. Lasts about 5-10 minutes. Fire trucks with sirens, cars honking their horns, sometimes even a fire cracker (they're legal here.) The little kid stands out in the front yard with the parents and you can see videos of them smiling, waving, and clapping their hands in excitement. These are crazy times and these kids will always remember these times for the rest of their lives. A very unusual birthday party but one that will be well remembered.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:32 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I don't agree with WROR about the birthday parties, but he has every right to come here and post his thoughts.

Old 05-05-2020, 08:42 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think the impact of the Sun that you would say it's going to be very strong and very deep for a long time. Taking score online is one thing but when you don't really have a graduation and don't really have a prom. And then many of the jobs that you may have had while attending higher education are now effectively gone. I almost draw parallels to The Walking Dead series where eventually they discovered that everybody was infected. Thankfully we have not had a breakdown of social order that bad.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:14 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We have had a handful of people in our town test positive for the antibody test and our town is counting those as a "positive" test result. Are all towns counting positive antibody tests this way?

I would be very interested to see the antibody testing broken out separately as the testing ramps up.
I don't know the answer to your question.

I stopped viewing "confirmed cases" as a useful metric weeks ago. Low confirmed cases in an area only tell me you have not done that much testing. IMO the only useful metrics at this time are Hospitalizations and Deaths.

Hopefully there will be more large organized antibody testing studies soon. A positive result on a good antibody test is evidence you had the virus. Granted there are a lot of bad antibody tests floating around, but there are some good ones, Abbott labs test is 99.5% for selectivity and 99.5% for sensitivity. If we get antibody study results soon, I am predicting a Statewide infection rate of 16%, Boston 20%.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Good article about not wanting to go back to the office:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...the-office/amp

Old 05-06-2020, 02:41 AM

636 posts, read 706,097 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Insidious,obnoxious,parades. I stress the word: insidious.

Taking 'some event' that is 'innocent on the surface' and turning it into a obnoxious ,rowdy,yahoo,music-playing car parade of driving up and down residential streets honking horns,yelling:

' look at us, we are being obnoxiously noisy in the community BUT ya cant complain! its a birthday party--or someone is going into the military --or its teacher appreciation or its student appreciation--- or blank--or a blank or a blank parade.

People,especially in Massachusetts with over 3000 coronavirus deaths in families, are home bereaving, in mourning. They dont want to hear or are in a state of mood to see obnoxious yahoos driving up and down in their neighborhoods honking thier horns because their little Johnny or Jose is having a birthday party.
I say i speak for the silent majority of people, they dont want hear or see these 'car parades ' going on in their neighborhoods.

Last edited by wror; 05-06-2020 at 03:30 AM..

Old 05-06-2020, 03:43 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Insidious,obnoxious,parades. I stress the word: insidious.

Taking 'some event' that is 'innocent on the surface' and turning it into a obnoxious ,rowdy,yahoo,music-playing car parade of driving up and down residential streets honking horns,yelling:

' look at us, we are being obnoxiously noisy in the community BUT ya cant complain! its a birthday party--or someone is going into the military --or its teacher appreciation or its student appreciation--- or blank--or a blank or a blank parade.

People,especially in Massachusetts with over coronavirus 3000 deaths in families, are home bereaving, in mourning. They dont want to hear or are in a state of mood to see obnoxious yahoos driving up and down in their neighborhoods honking thier horns because their little Johnny or Jose is having a birthday party.
I say i speak for the silent majority of people, they dont want hear or see these 'car parades ' going on in their neighborhoods.
It's not a majority. It's a very angry and relatively vocal sliver of the population. People who are so miserable that seeing other people not being miserable makes them angry. It probably feels like they're silent because everyone ignores them, but they'll shout at whoever makes the mistake of getting within earshot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts