Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 08:58 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That flew under the radar here. Appointment only, and only 4 per hour. That’s going to be interesting.

My range opened back up with restrictions in place. Limited number of people on the line, no guests, gotta wear masks.
Yeah, we lead the world by far in gun ownership per capita, but have conniptions over a 6-week closure of gun shops. This is why the rest of the world shakes their head when they look at us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 09:30 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
"Record 20.5 million American jobs lost in April. Unemployment rate soars to 14.7%" - that's the highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression.

I don't agree with the White House approach of simply *pretending* that the pandemic is over and cutting out the public health officials and medical professionals. But it's clear that the collateral damage being done to the economy can't be sustained for long. We need to find thoughtful ways to BOTH keep transmission low, saving lives AND resume economic activity. Certainly there are tensions there, but this doesn't mean we need to throw up our hands and just pick one of the two competing goals.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/econo...rus/index.html

Old 05-08-2020, 09:56 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"Record 20.5 million American jobs lost in April. Unemployment rate soars to 14.7%" - that's the highest unemployment rate since the Great Depression.

I don't agree with the White House approach of simply *pretending* that the pandemic is over and cutting out the public health officials and medical professionals. But it's clear that the collateral damage being done to the economy can't be sustained for long. We need to find thoughtful ways to BOTH keep transmission low, saving lives AND resume economic activity. Certainly there are tensions there, but this doesn't mean we need to throw up our hands and just pick one of the two competing goals.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/08/econo...rus/index.html
The numbers are incredibly obvious- people over 80 at high risk, people over 70 also should be careful. Pay nursing home employees for lots of Overtime, maybe even to live on the premises. I'm sure others can come up with better solution, I'm just spitballing. However, one thing I know is that taking a family of 4, laying off the parents, and forcing kids to stay home is not helpful.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:01 AM

154 posts, read 257,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The numbers are incredibly obvious- people over 80 at high risk, people over 70 also should be careful. Pay nursing home employees for lots of Overtime, maybe even to live on the premises. I'm sure others can come up with better solution, I'm just spitballing. However, one thing I know is that taking a family of 4, laying off the parents, and forcing kids to stay home is not helpful.

It simply isn't sustainable. My kids aren't learning much with this distance learning. Everyone in the family is struggling with the isolation. 12 year old daughter isn't sleeping. So far our income is safe, but for how long if this continues on and on for months??

Old 05-08-2020, 11:14 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Well, we've gone from 3.5% unemployment to 14.7% unemployment in what - 2.5 months? And I imagine we are still on a steep downward slide now. We can't do this for 6 more months- the result could very well be worse than the Great Depression. Even 3 more months is scary to contemplate.

Mind you, I am NOT advocating for just saying, screw the pandemic, go back to the way we were living in February, tomorrow. But I am of the opinion that clear guidelines, also just tips and suggestions should be provided for how businesses can operate safely. And if we haven't solved the availability of things like masks, gloves and disinfectants yet - simple, inexpensive tools to reduce transmission in the workplace, we need to do that ASAP. Then begin easing restrictions.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
And the Boston Pops 4th of July celebration has been cancelled

Old 05-08-2020, 12:33 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Shocking

Old 05-08-2020, 12:41 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
And the Boston Pops 4th of July celebration has been cancelled
This one makes me sad, but I understand. Between the uncertainty about the status of where we'll be with the virus, the massive crowds in tight quarters, and the amount of up-front money that goes into putting the show on, this was inevitable. It's a sad exclamation point on the state of affairs, but I think it's a necessary step. And if all goes well, we'll still be going to the beach, having cookouts, etc. On to 2021.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:55 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Katie Miller, White House coronavirus task force spokeswoman, contracts COVID-19

"The top spokeswoman for Vice President Mike Pence and the White House coronavirus task force tested positive Friday for COVID-19, setting off a scramble to test officials and journalists with whom she worked.

Katie Miller, 25, tested positive Friday morning after testing negative on Thursday. Earlier in the week, a personal valet to Trump tested positive in the first confirmed case of a staffer inside the White House contracting the deadly virus."

Last edited by redplum33; 05-08-2020 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 02:01 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Maybe they shouldn't have all clustered together so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts