Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 06:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think if you're being generous you would say that their personal risk/annoyance tolerance is different than yours. They would rather take the increased risk of a small-probability event over the definite discomfort of whatever safety measure they choose to ignore. I'm exceedingly risk averse so I don't agree with their conclusion (and suspect they might not fully understand the risk). .

I'm not inclined to be generous with this mentality.

And it has nothing to do with me. I'm healthy, good shape, no pre existing conditions, etc. I am not risk adverse at all. I don't believe in living scared. Its about others. I think it has less to do with personal risk/annoyance tolerance, and MUCH MUCH more to do with giving a crap about something/someone other than yourself. These types tend to be anti societal good. I don't wear a mask for me. But for you (collective plural).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
I think if you're being generous you would say that their personal risk/annoyance tolerance is different than yours. They would rather take the increased risk of a small-probability event over the definite discomfort of whatever safety measure they choose to ignore. I'm exceedingly risk averse so I don't agree with their conclusion (and suspect they might not fully understand the risk).

The issue with the masks is that indications are 1) there are a lot of asymptotic carriers and 2) masks do a better job of protecting you from others than they do protect others from you.

Wait i thought it was the other way around masks are better at protecting others from you?

Old 05-11-2020, 06:33 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Wait i thought it was the other way around masks are better at protecting others from you?
Yeah, I typed exactly the opposite of what I meant. I do that more than I'd like ;-)

Old 05-11-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not inclined to be generous with this mentality.

And it has nothing to do with me. I'm healthy, good shape, no pre existing conditions, etc. I am not risk adverse at all. I don't believe in living scared. Its about others. I think it has less to do with personal risk/annoyance tolerance, and MUCH MUCH more to do with giving a crap about something/someone other than yourself. These types tend to be anti societal good. I don't wear a mask for me. But for you (collective plural).
Yeah, that was my (poorly made) point. The seat belt is mostly for you (and those in your car). The helmet is for you The mask is for everyone else.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Yeah, that was my (poorly made) point. The seat belt is mostly for you (and those in your car). The helmet is for you The mask is for everyone else.

Well, I get your point, but they helmet just isn't for the rider. Same with the seatbelt. Its also to mitigate the costs put on everyone else when you get messed up and we are all (as a society) paying your hospital bill. Either because you don't have insurance, have inadequate insurance, or a burden on the insurance pool.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:39 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Yeah, I typed exactly the opposite of what I meant. I do that more than I'd like ;-)
Ya and my spelling sucks.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:44 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Leave it to character-flawed, irresponsible people that use drugs/booze to give a helping hand to the Coronavirus:

May 6...Seoul lets the booze and drug businesses open
May 10...days later, Coronavirus 2ND Wave

10 May 2020:
"Seoul South Korea closes bars and clubs over fears of second COVID-19 wave

The jump in new infections comes as everyday life in South Korea has slowly started returning to normal, with the government relaxing social distancing rules last Wednesday"
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-wave-12718600
Shouldn't you be crusading against drugs and booze in the South Korea forum? This is the Massachusetts forum.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, I get your point, but they helmet just isn't for the rider. Same with the seatbelt. Its also to mitigate the costs put on everyone else when you get messed up and we are all (as a society) paying your hospital bill. Either because you don't have insurance, have inadequate insurance, or a burden on the insurance pool.
I think people that are vigorously anti-seatbelt also tend to be anti-insurance and even anti-doctor. I suspect that they would have a hospital-bed conversion in the event of a severe accident.

Old 05-11-2020, 06:57 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
No, they don't. Even the N95 masks that medical personal use don't filter 80%.
If you are alluding to that figure as a result of most of them not being fitted correctly and sometimes allowing bypass, then you might be right although in that specific instance it may be 0% effective.

If you are claiming that the filtration of the mask is not as efficient as claimed, I can assure you every single N95 mask I've tested does in fact meet the 95.0+% efficiency rating claimed for airflow through the mask. I've been testing various face coverings for regional hospitals. I have the $100K+ in lab equipment to do so and data to prove it.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:41 AM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Leave it to character-flawed, irresponsible people that use drugs/booze to give a helping hand to the Coronavirus:

May 6...Seoul lets the booze and drug businesses open
May 10...days later, Coronavirus 2ND Wave

10 May 2020:
"Seoul South Korea closes bars and clubs over fears of second COVID-19 wave

The jump in new infections comes as everyday life in South Korea has slowly started returning to normal, with the government relaxing social distancing rules last Wednesday"
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-wave-12718600
Just to be clear, this is what we are calling the "second wave", correct?

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts