Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 04:26 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Ah, the Fox News talking points. Gotcha!

Never mind the fact that the US has its own epidemiology experts in the public & private sectors, and a world class CDC. My point is--the world knew about this in early January regardless of what China did or didn't do up to that point. And had the US acted then, we would not have the infection rate nor fatalities we have now. Dr. Fauci said this publicly not long ago...you can look it up.
Calling a fact a Fox talking point does not negate its truth. You continue to brush off China's role in the pandemic. I won't do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I have not seen the video. But would say it is reprehensible to validate Youtube for politically motivated censorship.

You need to reread the definition of censorship. It does not have to be a government.
If you want to see the video or do not know about this website you can still watch the video.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/qfPryV6foI47/

Bitchute is a site like youtube but it does not censor videos. Videos that have been banned from youtube are often found on Bitchute.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:06 PM

295 posts, read 317,290 times
Stock market getting close to pre crisis levels. Yet like 30 million ppl out of work. makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
Stock market getting close to pre crisis levels. Yet like 30 million ppl out of work. makes a lot of sense to me.
Most of the companies forced to shut down completely are small businesses or privately owned businesses such as independent restaurants that do not issue shares of stock on the stock market.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Most of the companies forced to shut down completely are small businesses or privately owned businesses such as independent restaurants that do not issue shares of stock on the stock market.
Ahh I see, so issue stocks and all is well. Not big enough? Oh well good luck at getting this loan or fire your employees. Wall Street > Main street.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Ahh I see, so issue stocks and all is well. Not big enough? Oh well good luck at getting this loan or fire your employees. Wall Street > Main street.
I think it is more complicated than that. Most non-technological service businesses operate on razor thin margins and do not generate the annual incomes to expand to the point of going public and issuing stocks. A lot of the publicly traded companies have developed into operations that can be done remotely or require little face-to-face interaction with their customers so they can continue to operate during the shutdowns. A notable exception is Disney who had to close their largest operations.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I think it is more complicated than that. Most non-technological service businesses operate on razor thin margins and do not generate the annual incomes to expand to the point of going public and issuing stocks. A lot of the publicly traded companies have developed into operations that can be done remotely or require little face-to-face interaction with their customers so they can continue to operate during the shutdowns. A notable exception is Disney who had to close their largest operations.
So Starbucks and McDonald’s have little face to face interaction? Some mom and pop diners, coffee shops have little to no interest to expand, They are just looking to earn an honest buck. Sorry but it looks like they are out of luck here.

Also taxes may be going up next year as cities and states try to raise money for funding stuff that we kinda need, like public safety.

meanwhile trillions of dollars are being poured into the stock market to prop it up, essentially giving money losing businesses(and there’s lots of them that are publicly traded), more cheap sources of $$$$? Can someone please tell me I am wrong?

And why is this board arguing about other petty stuff and not focusing on these pretty serious issues?

Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
So Starbucks and McDonald’s have little face to face interaction?
The drive-thru operations qualify as limited interaction

Quote:
meanwhile trillions of dollars are being poured into the stock market to prop it up, essentially giving money losing businesses(and there’s lots of them that are publicly traded), more cheap sources of $$$$? Can someone please tell me I am wrong?
The stock market is a source of passive income for retirees and a secondary source of income for working people. That is why it exists to allow corporations to raise money by issuing stock and ordinary people to make money by investing in stocks and receiving quarterly dividend payments.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
The drive-thru operations qualify as limited interaction

The stock market is a source of passive income for retirees and a secondary source of income for working people. That is why it exists to allow corporations to raise money by issuing stock and ordinary people to make money by investing in stocks and receiving quarterly dividend payments.
Drive through? Really? That’s pretty weak. I’d like to know what Starbucks’ drive through revenues are compared to their face to face numbers. Also you are still interacting with someone unless they developed a robot arm to give you your coffee( I’m not aware of this?) It’s a company with a market cap of what $100b?

Perhaps retirees should look to move their money into more safe asset classes when they retire.

Last time I checked only 55% of Americans owned stocked. Sorry other 45%. Double sorry if you are part of the 45% and you own or work in small business.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:20 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
The moment the fed bought high yield "junk" bonds, they indicated to the markets that not only were corporations too big to fail, but everything was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts