Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 01:20 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The "okay Boomer" meme is largely a dismissal of lazy generation "attacks" ... like thinking those born <1996 are somehow enjoying spring break in 2020. Maybe a handful Covid-seeking grad students?
Literally the boomer generation is called the "me" generation. Nothing wrong with pointing out their selfishness, it is right in the name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The cutoff seems to swing anywhere between 1979 and 1984 depending on where you read.

I've even heard the term "Xennial" or "Oregon Trail Generation" to describe those born in the early 1980's. I'm 39's so i'm smack dab in the middle of that group. Too old to really feel like I fit in with the Millennial crowd, but young enough to not know any of the cultural references that Gen X'ers are referring to most times.

I am 40 and consider myself a young gen x born in 1979. Then some say but people our age where introduced to the internet and america online when we where still kids. where people slightly older then us did not get introduced to the internet until they became a adult so they could view the world differently. People our age where the first generation to use the internet before adulthood. It was a very basic form of the internet but still the internet. The first time i saw the internet and search engines I knew this invention was as big as the televison if not bigger. It blew my mind. Millenials don't know what it was like before the internet.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-21-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 01:40 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My uncle is in Georgia and it sounds like they are going to open up. I guess we'll get to see who's right the old-fashioned way.

With improved testing and some more rigorous data-taking, I think those numbers can be refined. Until they do, I think it's better to exercise caution. In the event they are refined, though, we should really start talking about what are acceptable trade-offs. The idea that no amount of money is worth risking even one life is not a realistic policy position.
Nothing like a good old social experiment, eh? I do hope this doesn't backfire in their face...not because I'm a fan of Kemp but because of the innocent people who may be impacted.

I agree with the risk/benefit tradeoffs but we need to do a bit better at leveling the odds right now. There's just too many stories of how this disease is very serious in the under-50 crowd also, because of the cytokine avalanche which starts attacking healthy organs. Yet there's still deniers out there which is unbelievable. I'd feel better about the gradual opening up, if I felt like we all held a shared set of beliefs on this as a populace. Instead this whole thing unbelievably turned into a red/blue state matter. Very destructive...I just hope that we don't lose a lot more innocents in the process.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:41 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The cutoff seems to swing anywhere between 1979 and 1984 depending on where you read.

I've even heard the term "Xennial" or "Oregon Trail Generation" to describe those born in the early 1980's. I'm 39's so i'm smack dab in the middle of that group. Too old to really feel like I fit in with the Millennial crowd, but young enough to not know any of the cultural references that Gen X'ers are referring to most times.
Thanks, now I feel compelled to dust off an old copy of Oregon Trail and play...of course, I'll replace all references to "Dysentery" with "Coronavirus" first. And maybe replace the hunting minigame with one where you have to find your Doordash driver before they run off and cancel your order.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
[quote=brightdoglover;57908358]
Quote:
I honestly believe much of the "boomer" labeling is really the younger cohort reappropriating generational blame after a decade plus of "Millenial blaming".

No, it goes way back to the actual demographic event. As the number of "boomers" moved through the economy and college and military and house buying and all, it was the bulge in the snake that ate a large animal. Being the largest cohort ever at the time, everything the cohort did was newsworthy for its numbers and impact. When the first boomers turned 50, it was on the cover of Newsweek. AARP salivated. Etc.

The current okay boomer thing is a tiny blip on the screen. Also, following generations were named for marketing purposes, not any demographic event.
I'm obviously aware that the "boomer" label extends back to the original birth rate "event".

I was clarifying that the current generational attacks which leverage the "Millenial" and "Boomer" labels are, in my opinion, largely the resultant of consistent negative press against Millenials (and younger) since we've gained purchasing power. The "okay boomer" and more recent "boomer remover" (in response to Covid-19) memes are largely dismissals of the prototypical 60-something Fox News viewer. It's a dismissive meme which doesn't carry a whole lot of sincerity given many of our parents are "boomers" themselves.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Old 04-21-2020, 01:50 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
[quote=Shrewsburried;57908643]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

I'm obviously aware that the "boomer" label extends back to the original birth rate "event".

The "okay boomer" and more recent "boomer remover" (in response to Covid-19) memes are largely dismissals of the prototypical 60-something Fox News viewer. It's a dismissive meme which doesn't carry a whole lot of sincerity given many of our parents are "boomers" themselves.
Sorry. I guess I'm accustomed to people not knowing about the demographic event. I didn't know that the "okay boomer" riff was a prototypical Fox viewer, in fact, I didn't think those viewers were limited to one demographic.

Having trouble making sure Shrewsburried is correctly attributed.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:51 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
[quote=brightdoglover;57908741]
Quote:

Sorry. I guess I'm accustomed to people not knowing about the demographic event. I didn't know that the "okay boomer" riff was a prototypical Fox viewer, in fact, I didn't think those viewers were limited to one demographic.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:14 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Thanks, now I feel compelled to dust off an old copy of Oregon Trail and play...of course, I'll replace all references to "Dysentery" with "Coronavirus" first. And maybe replace the hunting minigame with one where you have to find your Doordash driver before they run off and cancel your order.
As much as I’d like to order this, would be bad taste to actually wear it

Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-8a3963d6-bac0-4fe9-b7de-100711c64d5d.jpeg  

Old 04-21-2020, 04:18 PM

636 posts, read 706,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You know Millennials are in our 30s and 40s taking care of kids while working full time jobs and yelling at our Boomer parents to stop having block parties with their neighbors, right?
You do recall last month, those Boston photos of nightclubs mobbed with patrons, millennials, blatantly disregarding social distancing ,gathering in groups, and avoiding other safety precautions.
Two weeks later Boston and other areas of Mass begins to matriculate into a hotspot for the coronaviruses

I recall in my younger days of going to Boston nightclubs. They were mobbed by young people that worked in the city during the day. Nothing has changed of what age group goes to Boston nightclubs. Young people.

Also, people in these Boston clubs are mobbed by people who work in Boston's medical fields. And Sorry, but look st how many 100s of healthcare workers who work in Boston hospitals came down positive with the virus within 2 weeks of the clubs being shut down.

Last edited by wror; 04-21-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts