Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 10:06 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
One source i gave was written by a Judge. But You will disregard his opinions because you don't like the source.
That case was both irrelevant to what we were discussing, while at the same time kind of disproving your point (assuming there even was one).

Quote:
We dont have a lawyer here posting so discussions will be disputed. If a right can be suspended then its not a right .
Exactly. Everything posted here is subject to scrutiny. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. You still haven't explained what rights are being suspended. People have a right to free speech, movement, etc. as long as they are in compliance with preventative measures. It's just as vital to understand what AREN'T your rights as the same time as what ARE. For one, you do NOT have the right to put another's health in danger. People too easy forget that with freedom comes responsibility.

Quote:
As in terms of the one size fits all I mean that all of massechusetts is locked down along with most states. yes there are differences in small restrictions from state to state. As a other poster brought up if people knew that rural areas where open then people would flock to those areas to get the services or freedoms they are looking for then over populating those areas that are not restricted.

Yes every state has different details on the restrictions but for the most part we closed down a huge portion of the united states.
No Mass. is NOT locked down nor is any state, PLEASE. You have no idea what that means, please stop spreading such nonsense. In a worldwide pandemic such as this, of COURSE every sane jurisdiction is going to take measures to protect its citizens!

And that is absolutely NOT the point myself and another poster brought up about spreading to less affected rural areas. An area like mine would KILL to get that kind of business and spur in economic activity. What we don't want, is to roll out the carpet for people from areas with high rates of infection to now spread the virus up here where it had previously been contained. There seems to be an overall problem here with reading comprehension.

Quote:
I am worried they will use these shutdowns and restrictions even after the virus is over. Gun shops for instance are closed down which is a violation of the second amendment. A lot might not be worried about loss of rights but there are people who do worry about a police state. There are alot of people even on the left that are worried about loss of rights.
I agree that closing the gun shops is pushing the limits, that is ONE thing we can probably agree on.

As for worrying about a police state after the virus is over, well that's nothing but a conspiracy theory at this point. No factual basis at all, and goes beyond every bit of rational thinking. We can thank internet warriors such as yourself for needlessly spreading such fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:09 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I actually think with the populations ability to get the proper masks, promising drugs, growing immunity, and smarter management of hot spots.. we are likely to be able to avoid hospital issues.

This is also why were are lifting restrictions in the USA and going back to work, because the goal of social distancing -- keeping hospitals clear, has been achieved.
We ain't out of the woods yet. If it's mismanaged, a second peak could easily be higher than the first. And I don't think we've even hit our first peak.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I hate to say this, but average intelligence may be a factor? I wish I remembered the source & statistic, but there was an astounding % of the population that (apparently) cannot understand a simple x-y plot. When you talk about exponential spread, curves, and flattening them, you may be talking PhD level for a lot of folks (hate to say it).

I believe you. I was a substitute teacher in the Boston Public Schools in the past (middle and high school levels) and you don't know how many youngsters I taught can't even grasp basic math and nearly fail algebra (they end up passing only because the system dictated to us teachers that they must pass - a lot more to be said on that). Such are people who get confused with fact and fiction. They accuse academics of throwing charts and graphs at them in an attempt to brainwash them when they likely don't even understand what is being presented to them. Such are the same individuals I bet that did not care about school or education then and do not care now.

Similarly, the other day, there was a long but wonderful and intelligently written New York Times article reprinted on Boston.com. about the coronavirus pandemic. Several individuals in the comments section admitted they did stopped reading the article after the first paragraph or two because it was "liberal hogwash from a liberal newspaper aimed at defaming the President and the Republican Party" or "it was only written by scaremongers aimed at scaring the people to hide in their basements". I kind of wonder if these readers even know how to read at that level. They accuse some intellectual of trying to brainwash them and use that as an excuse not to read intelligent news. I mean you don't have to agree with the article but as I used to tell my students you have to read and examine the whole thing before making sound judgement.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I kind of wonder if these readers even know how to read at that level. They accuse some intellectual of trying to brainwash them and use that as an excuse not to read intelligent news. I mean you don't have to agree with the article but as I used to tell my students you have to read and examine the whole thing before making sound judgement.

This is how liberals are. If you don't agree with them -- if you have learned time and time again how numbers can be manipulated, if you see the crass bias of mainstream media, then you will be called stupid.

I am one of the smartest people alive. Accordingly, I will not listen to anything a mainstream media outlet says.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
This is how liberals are. If you don't agree with them -- if you have learned time and time again how numbers can be manipulated, if you see the crass bias of mainstream media, then you will be called stupid.

I am one of the smartest people alive. Accordingly, I will not listen to anything a mainstream media outlet says.
Good one.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I hate to say this, but average intelligence may be a factor? I wish I remembered the source & statistic, but there was an astounding % of the population that (apparently) cannot understand a simple x-y plot. When you talk about exponential spread, curves, and flattening them, you may be talking PhD level for a lot of folks (hate to say it).
That's high school stuff. I don't think most would deny that we do a very poor job on the math front. Of course it's not just the education system's fault for not being able to teach it, but also society's lack of value placed on it. But in the end, there will always be those who don't have the capability to grasp it. Most of these things can be explained in simplified terms to the mathematically illiterate, yet it still goes right over their head. I dare say "selective ignorance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Similarly, the other day, there was a long but wonderful and intelligently written New York Times article reprinted on Boston.com. about the coronavirus pandemic. Several individuals in the comments section admitted they did stopped reading the article after the first paragraph or two because it was "liberal hogwash from a liberal newspaper aimed at defaming the President and the Republican Party" or "it was only written by scaremongers aimed at scaring the people to hide in their basements". I kind of wonder if these readers even know how to read at that level. They accuse some intellectual of trying to brainwash them and use that as an excuse not to read intelligent news. I mean you don't have to agree with the article but as I used to tell my students you have to read and examine the whole thing before making sound judgement.
That's a real thing though. I don't know what article you are referring to, but a very large portion of NYT (and Boston Globe) material contains very transparent political bias. I admit that there are articles I have stopped reading, that even though they do might contain some valid data it's so blatantly distorted that I instantly wonder what they are omitting. Maybe the news media has to earn our trust back in order to for more to give it a fair shake?

Old 04-22-2020, 10:26 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

As for worrying about a police state after the virus is over, well that's nothing but a conspiracy theory at this point. No factual basis at all, and goes beyond every bit of rational thinking. We can thank internet warriors such as yourself for needlessly spreading such fear.

Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, and other historic demagogues preyed on angry, confused and naive constituents to cement power and institute police states. The way so many of our fellow Americans are replacing logic, rational thinking, and respect for scholarly thought with conspiracies, half-truths, quick solutions, and occasional outright hatred during this pandemic is very scary. I sincerely hope we never drift down that path.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I am one of the smartest people alive.
Then shouldn't you be out there saving the world right now, rather than constantly posting on the internet what "not" to believe?

Old 04-22-2020, 10:31 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I've pointed out to acquaintances from school in my hometown in GA that on the day I went into my own self isolation (and my entire office moved to work from home), no one had yet died in Massachusetts and only 123 people were diagnosed. When the state closed down non-essential businesses, only 11 people had died and 1159 people were diagnosed. Look at where we are now.

And yet these people, not even really at Georgia's peak, think it's A-OK to open up. I've been told numerous times that just because it happened that way in Massachusetts - despite social distancing - doesn't mean it will happen in Georgia without.

Mind numbing. One of my best friends survived the same cancer I did, is a young mom, and is a COVID-unit ICU nurse in Atlanta. She's terrified because they're struggling as it is.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:15 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
We ain't out of the woods yet. If it's mismanaged, a second peak could easily be higher than the first. And I don't think we've even hit our first peak.
We really aren’t out of the woods until there’s a vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts