Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Our WFH policy is likely in place through the remainder of 2020. Only essentials allowed in the office/building right now.

Interesting email out today....they are considering anti-body testing at our facilities
I had parking lot coffee this weekend with a good friend who is an epidemiologist at BU and she said not only are they readying the campus for on and off campus classes this fall, but that everybody on the staff will get antibody testing over the summer. Results may be part of their strategy for bringing faculty back.

I got my antibody test back and it was negative, which I completely expected, but I'm so eager to get on the other side of this that I wanted a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 01:32 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

I got my antibody test back and it was negative, which I completely expected, but I'm so eager to get on the other side of this that I wanted a positive.
What do you think of the large percentage of false negative/positive antibody tests? I am waiting for results on mine, and if it's positive, I'll likely get a second one to cut down on false results. I'm not going to change my behavior either way, though- I wear a mask in public and inside and assume everyone around me is infected.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yes most people I see are wearing a mask as well. It’s the rules.

So is anyone scheduled to go back to the office on Monday?
Just had a company wide meeting and some people will be coming back the week after next. My kids camp doesn't start until 6/22, so I can't go in before then (which is fine), but there is a strategy in place to get the office open and employees over the next few weeks. Our distribution center (I'm in retail) will be open with all employees on 5/18.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:35 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No. The 18th is the starting point to begin a phased reopening if the numbers kept trending in the right direction. Return to a physical workspace for office workers is not among the first phases in most places. It'll likely be some public parks and spaces reopening, some retail being allowed to reopen, additional services (think hair salons/barber shops) reopening, and potentially outdoor dining at some places with distancing measures in place. but People returning to the office is down the road. Especially for those of us who can do a lot remotely.
I know of some offices that have heavily implied that they are opening on the 18th. Yeah that ain't happening. I think too many people thought that somehow that everything would be back to normal...it isn't.Elevators can be an issue, engineering the hvac systems, eliminating hot desks, don't even get me started on printers and scanners.

The other day I was at a farm stand type of business and it's nice don't get me wrong but buy your stuff and get out like the sign says. Waiting outside six feet apart is fine but you put some wind around and no place to go inside or sit and it gets annoying fast. Another place was a seafood restaurant. You pay in one area and pick up in another, ok I get that. But they had online order and in person and it totally slowed things down. It took 25 minutes to get what could be best described as an appetizer at best. They have good food but just do online pickup. Long lines at six feet with limited parking just doesn't make sense. Remember the old games of Themepark? Design it first and then run it though.

I heard about that ice cream incident on the cape. It was sad. Look I get it ordering an ice cream an hour in advance is a bit much but you don't take that out on the staff, especially kids working there. It reminds me of southerners that come up north and act like as long as the sun is out it must be warm enough to be outside.

Mid next week I think is going to get ugly. There's too many people thinking that everything is going to open at the same time and back to the way it was. We can't have everything locked up and we can't have everything open. We're going to have to play this like wack a mole. Suzy gets it in october WHAM! everyone telecommuttes for another month, Mike gets it in January WHAM! see you in Spring. People don't want situations where they go back and forth like this which is why many are just going to continue to work from home.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What do you think of the large percentage of false negative/positive antibody tests? I am waiting for results on mine, and if it's positive, I'll likely get a second one to cut down on false results. I'm not going to change my behavior either way, though- I wear a mask in public and inside and assume everyone around me is infected.
Everything I read states that the Quest tests (which is the lab the clinic I visited used) are >99% accurate. Still a small margin of error, but overwhelmingly accurate. If I were to get a positive, I probably wouldn't question whether or not I had the antibody, I'd probably just wonder how long the antibody lasts. Like others have stated, even if it were positive, I likely wouldn't change my behavior (I'm definitely more out and about than others on this board, anyway), but I would feel better having the antibody.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I heard about that ice cream incident on the cape. It was sad. Look I get it ordering an ice cream an hour in advance is a bit much but you don't take that out on the staff, especially kids working there. It reminds me of southerners that come up north and act like as long as the sun is out it must be warm enough to be outside.

I did read that this ugly incident was carried on local news and social media, and the community stepped up with support and the shop opened again with people acting properly and decently. I feel for the girl who quit- I hope she can come back with a clear mind.

... We can't have everything locked up and we can't have everything open. We're going to have to play this like wack a mole. ...
Exactly. What I wondered about is, if people were collecting unemployment because they got laid off with a shutdown, and then they go back to work, if there's another shutdown, what happens?

Old 05-11-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Everything I read states that the Quest tests (which is the lab the clinic I visited used) are >99% accurate. Still a small margin of error, but overwhelmingly accurate. If I were to get a positive, I probably wouldn't question whether or not I had the antibody, I'd probably just wonder how long the antibody lasts. Like others have stated, even if it were positive, I likely wouldn't change my behavior (I'm definitely more out and about than others on this board, anyway), but I would feel better having the antibody.

Thank you for your response. The little clinic where I got my test uses Quest for the lab, so I think it might be the same test you refer to. Gonna call today to see if they have a result yet. Hey, I've got nothing but time here in retirement and most stuff shutdown.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Thank you for your response. The little clinic where I got my test uses Quest for the lab, so I think it might be the same test you refer to. Gonna call today to see if they have a result yet. Hey, I've got nothing but time here in retirement and most stuff shutdown.
My clinic said to call in 48 hours because the myquest website is so behind (you should be able to log in and see your test results, but they are far behind in uploading those). I called the clinic after 48 hours and got my results that way. I still don't have the detailed results on the myquest website.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:58 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m kind of wondering when non-critical state services might open back up. First world problem but I have a boat trailer I need to title and register. You can’t do it through the mail.
Register a BOAT, Tens of tens of hundreds of thousands of Americans are dead and you want to register a.....boat !!!...…………..sarcasm:. good weather is coming.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:05 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
129 deaths, 669 new cases. Hospitalizations down again.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Just received word that an employee at my company has passed from Covid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts