Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 11:51 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The NY Times epidemiologist survey from 3 days ago, most responded that they're running errands. The relative risk of a grocery store off-hours where everyone is wearing a mask is very different from eating indoors in a restaurant where you have no sense for the quality of the HVAC system. I haven't been to a mall in easily a year but if I had to go to an Apple Store with a dead iPhone or iPad, I'd go to a mall off hours. At this point, the data is pretty good that most of the spread is from being close to other people where nobody is wearing a mask. The grocery store isn't zero risk but it's quite low.
I've almost exclusively gone to the store later at night since February. By 8:30, I generally have Wegman's or Whole Foods to myself. There is occasionally still a line outside Trader Joe's because there are so few of them, and clearly others have a similar idea to me. My Target is open until 10, so I go at 9:30 to pick up cleaning supplies and toiletries. I went first thing in the morning once or twice and even then it was busier.

Obviously not everyone can choose to go later at night, but that's ideal if you can swing it.

Even early in the pandemic when I went once when it was busier due to limited hours, I can't say it seemed anywhere near as dangerous as eating or being in other closer quarters for longer periods of time. At least when grocery shopping, you're separated and almost constantly moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:58 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I do think the main reason is indoor gatherings without masking--whether that's family & friends, indoor dining, or gyms. I also wonder how much the workplaces that have opened back up for business, and which allow people to be unmasked while in their cube or office, have contributed to this.

Well the gyms here were heaving into masking. But overall, yeah, the data seems to be showing small gatherings, parties, indoors, where people aren't masking. These have gone outside to inside. Boom.

Religious services as well. Though I'm not sure if they were happening outside, as much as not happening? Not sure.

Not sure about other offices, but ours are VERY strict about mask wearing and sanitizing. Less so about spacing, but we try. Break rooms, etc are all closed, of course. Schools that have also been strict have shown not to be much of any factor, overall, as well.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:58 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
People still won't admit it, but the reason is extremely obvious.
Quote:
If you're talking about the return of college students, you've stated that previously. But the data don't support it. As you know, MA reports the data several ways...and the student population positivity rate has consistently been below the mean. BU and Northeastern, who have the largest resident population, test 2 - 3 x / week. Even if their students are partying off-campus, wouldn't that be reflected in the statistics?

I do think the main reason is indoor gatherings without masking--whether that's family & friends, indoor dining, or gyms. I also wonder how much the workplaces that have opened back up for business, and which allow people to be unmasked while in their cube or office, have contributed to this.

If you want to better understand why we are where we are, I'd suggest reading this letter that was sent to the Biden administration and was circulated on Facebook. It is dead on accurate. Note that it is about RI, but Baker (MA) and Raimondo (RI) have handled this public health emergency in a near identical fashion.

R.I. Parents/Educators for Safe Schools oppose a Raimondo cabinet appointment

"Like her Republican counterpart in Massachusetts, she publicly criticized and pressured districts that voted for remote learning, threatening at one point to sue them into compliance."

Old 12-07-2020, 11:59 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Even early in the pandemic when I went once when it was busier due to limited hours, I can't say it seemed anywhere near as dangerous as eating or being in other closer quarters for longer periods of time. At least when grocery shopping, you're separated and almost constantly moving.
I agree with this. The only changes I've made is that I used to wear an N95 mask to the store in March/April, along with gloves, and also sanitize the groceries at home. I've long since gone to wearing a KN95 mask, no gloves (but use of sanitizer afterward & hand washing at home), and no longer sanitizing groceries at home.

It's the unmasked environments that I'm extremely worried about, and that I've made a point to avoid completely since the start of this.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
If you want to better understand why we are where we are, I'd suggest reading this letter that was sent to the Biden administration and was circulated on Facebook. It is dead on accurate. Note that it is about RI, but Baker (MA) and Raimondo (RI) have handled this public health emergency in a near identical fashion.

R.I. Parents/Educators for Safe Schools oppose a Raimondo cabinet appointment

"Like her Republican counterpart in Massachusetts, she publicly criticized and pressured districts that voted for remote learning, threatening at one point to sue them into compliance."
So you're talking about students in general, and not college students in particular?

Old 12-07-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Note that it is about RI, but Baker (MA) and Raimondo (RI) have handled this public health emergency in a near identical fashion.

Quote from article: "manipulating science in order to justify her decision to reopen schools and the economy, and dismissing inconvenient facts and perspectives."

Sound familiar?

Old 12-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So you're talking about students in general, and not college students in particular?
That's what I've been doing all along.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:05 PM

I think this is why people get upset. I've defended Baker and his moves all along. But to curtail elective surgeries (which are often still very much health-enhancing) before curtailing or banning indoor dining...I can't defend.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/...ovid-19-spike/

Old 12-07-2020, 12:17 PM

12,816 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
I agree with this. The only changes I've made is that I used to wear an N95 mask to the store in March/April, along with gloves, and also sanitize the groceries at home. I've long since gone to wearing a KN95 mask, no gloves (but use of sanitizer afterward & hand washing at home), and no longer sanitizing groceries at home.

It's the unmasked environments that I'm extremely worried about, and that I've made a point to avoid completely since the start of this.
The grocery store is no longer the anxiety-inducing race to get in/out for me that it was back in March/April/May, but I still go out of my way to go to stores I know to generally have fewer crowds and/or go at times I know it'll be less crowded. I almost never go on weekends anymore unless it's super early or just before close.

Our go-to used to be Wegmans in Medford but there were lines out the door all spring and much of the summer, so we basically stopped going when the pandemic hit. We went for the first time in early November (went not long after open) and it was almost the same as it was prior to March. It's a welcome change. I also step up my mask game (KN96 rather than fabric) and sanitize before, during, and after. A few years from now, I may not be wearing a mask, but I think the hygiene boost is going to last.

Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've almost exclusively gone to the store later at night since February. By 8:30, I generally have Wegman's or Whole Foods to myself. There is occasionally still a line outside Trader Joe's because there are so few of them, and clearly others have a similar idea to me. My Target is open until 10, so I go at 9:30 to pick up cleaning supplies and toiletries. I went first thing in the morning once or twice and even then it was busier.

Obviously not everyone can choose to go later at night, but that's ideal if you can swing it.

It seems pretty hypocritical to go off on msRB311 about doing unnecessary risky things when you (with a compromised immune system) are going grocery shopping when you could easily get it delivered instead. And please don't justify it by saying you want to pick out your produce.

(Note that I'm not defending msRB311's actions.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts