Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 12:08 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
... I have no idea who these people are, who are finding time to learn a musical instrument, or write a book, during this stay-at-home advisory...but more power to them, I guess.
I've been assuming all those eager learners aren't working from home! Hey, I'm retired and home and still haven't learned Spanish or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've been assuming all those eager learners aren't working from home! Hey, I'm retired and home and still haven't learned Spanish or anything.
Yes, and especially aren't working from home with kids! We have not tackled a single home project or new hobby...everyone in this house is hanging on by a thread!

Old 05-12-2020, 12:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Yes, and especially aren't working from home with kids! We have not tackled a single home project or new hobby...everyone in this house is hanging on by a thread!
Same here. Two full-time jobs—which we're very grateful to have—and different grade levels to home school. Throw in an insane toddler who requires constant supervision, and we are barely treading water.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:26 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Have you tested nylons? A source I consider very reputable relayed some test results that show nylons are very effective.
Unfortunately not, but now i'm curious so i'll try to get my hands on some of it.

Most of the standard household items we tested did quite poorly. Your T-shirts, pillowcases, ski buffs, etc all performed under 30% efficiency for all particle sizes. We tested a few bandanas and they were in the 5-6% efficiency range. Not every item is made of the same exact material for instance the silk bandana was better than the polyester bandana.

Household items like vacuum cleaner bags, makeup pads, did much better, but nowhere near N95 performance other than some specific vacuum bags.

Layering does help, but not dramatically. For instance, if 1 layer of a T-shirt was around 20% efficiency, putting a 2nd layer on top would only improve performance by 10% or so. You needed 20 layers or more of that material to start getting in the 60-70% efficiency range. At that point you are walking around with an entire t-shirt balled up over your nose/mouth

Nothing filtered as effectively as purpose designed filtration media.

I'll see what I can do about testing the nylons. That project wound down a few weeks back so i'll see if I can squeeze it in.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my testing was for suspended aerosol droplets. Larger Spittle Globules (that would quickly fall to the ground) were not tested.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-12-2020 at 12:47 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Same here. ZERO indoor home projects have been done. usually I send the wife and kids to the MIL's house for the day and get stuff done. Now I just can't.

I have settled into sneaking into the garage from 11pm-1AM to work on my project car. I need something to do to unwind and that's the only time I can do it.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Unfortunately not, but now i'm curious so i'll try to get my hands on some of it.

Most of the standard household items we tested did quite poorly. Your T-shirts, pillowcases, ski buffs, etc all performed under 30% efficiency for all particle sizes. We tested a few bandanas and they were in the 5-6% efficiency range. Not every item is made of the same exact material for instance the silk bandana was better than the polyester bandana.

Household items like vacuum cleaner bags, makeup pads, did much better, but nowhere near N95 performance other than some specific vacuum bags.

Layering does help, but not dramatically. For instance, if 1 layer of a T-shirt was around 20% efficiency, putting a 2nd layer on top would only improve performance by 10% or so. You needed 20 layers or more of that material to start getting in the 60-70% efficiency range. At that point you are walking around with an entire t-shirt balled up over your nose/mouth

Nothing filtered as effectively as purpose designed filtration media.

I'll see what I can do about testing the nylons. That project wound down a few weeks back so i'll see if I can squeeze it in.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my testing was for suspended aerosol droplets. Larger Spittle Globules (that would quickly fall to the ground) were not tested.
Cool. Thanks a lot for the info. If I can dig up the study, I'll share it here.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:51 PM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here. ZERO indoor home projects have been done. usually I send the wife and kids to the MIL's house for the day and get stuff done. Now I just can't.

I have settled into sneaking into the garage from 11pm-1AM to work on my project car. I need something to do to unwind and that's the only time I can do it.
I am all for any projects that help mental health! My husband and I have settled into a good routine where we both get breaks so that we can decompress. Anything to help my patience at this point is welcome!

Old 05-12-2020, 01:57 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
For masks, what I read about using nylons was not about putting a bit of it in the mask pocket, it said to cut a loop from a stocking and pull it down in a circle around your head. That would be tight to it would stop particles from getting in through the edges.

For putting in the mask pocket, what is recommended? Those shop towels? Do you get those at a hardware store? Oh, and I' ve read that a piece of a silk scarf in the mask pocket helps. Silk does something electrostatically or something. ????? (Just some misc musings in case they can provide some additional info.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:27 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
For masks, what I read about using nylons was not about putting a bit of it in the mask pocket, it said to cut a loop from a stocking and pull it down in a circle around your head. That would be tight to it would stop particles from getting in through the edges.
Yes, that is what I read, too. Also a suggestion of wearing the nylon over a medical mask.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:30 PM

Today's update.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Some deaths that should have been listed today, were instead listed yesterday. (129 yesterday). Reporting error

870 new cases, 33 deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts