Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
"Dr. Anthony Fauci had a sharp retort for Sen. Rand Paul after the Kentucky Republican said that Fauci was not the “end all” in knowledge about the coronavirus, and that it’s “kind of ridiculous” to suggest children should be kept out of school in the fall.

While agreeing that children on the whole do much better than adults with COVID-19, Fauci noted recent reports of severe disease among children and said it’s still really not well understood.

“We don’t know everything about this virus and we really better be pretty careful, particularly when it comes to children,” Fauci said. “I think we better be careful (that) we are not cavalier in thinking that children are completely immune from the deleterious effects.” "

Source: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-fauci-warns-u-s-must-not-be-cavalier-in-assuming-children-immune-to-virus
Again, he isn't really saying anything whatsoever. No data, no experiments, no trends. Just assertion. And the assertion itself doesn't even imply much. Nobody has said "completely immune" either, but more accurately, maybe "extremely low risk." Everything is a risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 05:53 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Again, he isn't really saying anything whatsoever. No data, no experiments, no trends. Just assertion. And the assertion itself doesn't even imply much. Nobody has said "completely immune" either, but more accurately, maybe "extremely low risk." Everything is a risk.
He is saying “We don’t know everything about this virus and we really better be pretty careful, particularly when it comes to children,” and feels strongly enough about this to urge caution about reopening schools in the fall.

Fauci is the top infectious disease expert in the world. When he makes a statement like that, it should be taken very seriously.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:09 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
He is saying “We don’t know everything about this virus and we really better be pretty careful, particularly when it comes to children,” and feels strongly enough about this to urge caution about reopening schools in the fall.

Fauci is the top infectious disease expert in the world. When he makes a statement like that, it should be taken very seriously.
No one is perfect. No one is always right. But I have a lot of confidence in that guy. I'm not swayed if politicians, talking heads or even the odd doctor disagrees with him.

This is a complex disease that is still new. While we know a lot, there's still a great deal we don't know. There will be uncertainties and "error bars" associated with his assessments and predictions. But unless there is some consensus of scientific experts disagreeing with Fauci, I'd go with his judgement over someone else's. The way that I read Fauci here, he's saying that since there's uncertainty, let's err on the side of caution when it comes to children's lives, while Rand Paul is saying, since there's uncertainty, let's make optimistic assumptions and hope it all works out.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Which doesn't change the fact that he is citing exactly nothing empirical (despite empirical data existing, perhaps he is unaware of it, or disagrees with the conclusions- which he does not say at all - but it's not the case that we don't know anything- we certainly do).

Old 05-12-2020, 06:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I would definitely recommend reading the studies from journals that I've posted. These are by people doing the experimentation and painstakingly documenting the results, not holders of political office or anything parallel to them.

Fauci said "much remains unknown" which doesn't really mean anything at all. I interpret "unknown" as "unconfirmed" which is absolutely true. What Fauci did not do was put together any type of hypothesis, experiment, nor draw any conclusions from them and publish them. He makes offhand comments on TV which NBC reports on. It is just not comparable.

I think many people are failing to assess risk and blowing many things, but especially this child thing, out of proportion. I think people might be surprised to learn what the overall death rate of all causes for children 1-14 actually is: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm
Read what studies? If you have evidence that contradicts Fauci, then post it here. Because all you did there was discount the top epidemiologist in the US with zero evidence but by using a bunch of words like unknown and unconfirmed and an admonishment that we should go read the studies you've posted.

He gave his opinion, he is concerned about sending kids back to school. My guess is you don't have kids or you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss his assessment.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:38 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Which doesn't change the fact that he is citing exactly nothing empirical (despite empirical data existing, perhaps he is unaware of it, or disagrees with the conclusions- which he does not say at all - but it's not the case that we don't know anything- we certainly do).
There is so much unknown about COVID-19, but one thing is pretty clear: it is nothing like the flu.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
I would definitely recommend reading the studies from journals that I've posted. These are by people doing the experimentation and painstakingly documenting the results, not holders of political office or anything parallel to them.

Fauci said "much remains unknown" which doesn't really mean anything at all. I interpret "unknown" as "unconfirmed" which is absolutely true. What Fauci did not do was put together any type of hypothesis, experiment, nor draw any conclusions from them and publish them. He makes offhand comments on TV which NBC reports on. It is just not comparable.

I think many people are failing to assess risk and blowing many things, but especially this child thing, out of proportion. I think people might be surprised to learn what the overall death rate of all causes for children 1-14 actually is: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm
Read what studies? If you have evidence that contradicts Fauci, then post it here, please don't expect people to search your posts in order to find it. I hope they are compelling because all you did there was discount the top epidemiologist in the US with zero evidence

He gave his opinion, he is concerned about sending kids back to school. At this point if I were to choose who to believe, you or Dr. Fauci my money would be on Dr. Fauci

Old 05-12-2020, 07:03 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The way that I read Fauci here, he's saying that since there's uncertainty, let's err on the side of caution when it comes to children's lives, while Rand Paul is saying, since there's uncertainty, let's make optimistic assumptions and hope it all works out.
Additionally, arguing risk for children misses the larger more tangible risk of opening schools early - multi-gen households.

Grandparents are not just the concern. There are plenty of middle school and HS aged students with parents in the late 50's+ and/or immune compromised. Hospitalization and lethality numbers elevate quickly once you're in that age range.

This said, if the state shuts down schools and daycare for the duration it takes to truly mitigate risk, there will be mass unemployment (beyond the currently atrocious numbers). My current situation with a one year old is not sustainable for months on end. It's a financial armageddon few politicos will tolerate, especially given the poor federal response.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:

you mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

Old 05-12-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
There is so much unknown about COVID-19, but one thing is pretty clear: it is nothing like the flu.
This doesn't address my points. You don't have to, but I'm just saying, this is not cut and dry. We would do well to actually look at the data ourselves. There is no shortage. We need not abandon all mental faculties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts