Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times

Advertisements

According to wikipedia "About one in every three users of mass transit in the United States and two-thirds of the nation's rail riders live in New York City or its suburbs."

Mass transit ridership not quite as prevalent here but still... Seems like it had a big impact on the spread in NYC. I wonder if this will impact the MBTA long term due to lost revenue, and it will definitely increase traffic until people feel safe in public. Could this/increased wfh even contribute the decline of how desirable city living has become? I'm pretty glad to be moving out of Somerville right now tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:35 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
According to wikipedia "About one in every three users of mass transit in the United States and two-thirds of the nation's rail riders live in New York City or its suburbs."

Mass transit ridership not quite as prevalent here but still... Seems like it had a big impact on the spread in NYC. I wonder if this will impact the MBTA long term due to lost revenue, and it will definitely increase traffic until people feel safe in public. Could this/increased wfh even contribute the decline of how desirable city living has become? I'm pretty glad to be moving out of Somerville right now tbh.
I’ve wondered all the same things. I still think there will be plenty of people who want to live in the city. Always has been always will be. But I am willing to bet there will be a lot of people looking to get out of the city. If someone is living in a nice house in a nice town I don’t see them wanting to trade it in a for a condo in the seaport district. I think many are turned off from being around lots of people right now. Anyone who can afford that type of real estate at least

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-23-2020 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: K

Old 04-23-2020, 04:58 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sad to correct you, but yesterday 4/22 was the highest with 221 new deaths reported.
Whoops, you’re right. Hopefully it remains the daily high.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I wish this were true...but no scientific data backing this up unfortunately.

Now this is only one scientists opinion but it seems that uv rays which have radiation is good at killing the virus. However you might see lower cases where there are hot temperatures and more sunlight the weather will not totally wipe out this virus. The virus supposedly does not do well when the humidity is high. they tested bleach and isopropol alcohol on the virus also. Isopropol kills the virus faster then bleach.

It seems these tests are fairly easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gysW87xniUE

Even if its not true getting sunlight and vitamin d helps the immune system fight disease and that is the truth.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-23-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-23-2020, 06:43 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...udy-3-families
This is going to be interesting. If people have it can AC units move it around? Well if this is true you are going to have to repoint if not design this. I'm no engineer but I'd argue that if this aims it at certain areas it should be rerouted just like reflections off of windows that have melted cars etc.

What are the biggest indoor dining halls and convention areas in the region? Boston garden?

Old 04-23-2020, 06:43 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not only the residents of a facility can't distance from each other, they are receiving direct care constantly from people who are coming in from outside lives- doubtful that staff members live alone, or wear masks or physical distance from family and friends, ride public transportation and carpool, and may very well be asymptomatic positives.
...and often those workers are working multiple jobs in other facilities.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:19 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and often those workers are working multiple jobs in other facilities.
Exactly. I do think it's a done deal for congregate housing facilities that have staff coming and going.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:31 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Now this is only one scientists opinion but it seems that uv rays which have radiation is good at killing the virus. However you might see lower cases where there are hot temperatures and more sunlight the weather will not totally wipe out this virus. The virus supposedly does not do well when the humidity is high. they tested bleach and isopropol alcohol on the virus also. Isopropol kills the virus faster then bleach.

It seems these tests are fairly easy to do.

Even if its not true getting sunlight and vitamin d helps the immune system fight disease and that is the truth.
A certain someone took this to the absurd extreme today. UV rays in general damage the human body...and Lord help anyone who tries to inject themselves with disinfectant?!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...njections.html

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...udy-3-families
This is going to be interesting. If people have it can AC units move it around? Well if this is true you are going to have to repoint if not design this. I'm no engineer but I'd argue that if this aims it at certain areas it should be rerouted just like reflections off of windows that have melted cars etc.

What are the biggest indoor dining halls and convention areas in the region? Boston garden?

I'm starting to wonder if this virus is ever going to go away. And it's mutated into at least 30 strains.

"Li’s team found that some of the most aggressive strains of the virus were able to generate 270 times the viral load of the weakest strains; in addition, the aggressive strains killed the human cells fastest.

According to their findings, the “true diversity” of the viral strains is underappreciated and must be understood in order to find a treatment or vaccine.

“Drug and vaccine development, while urgent, need to take the impact of these accumulating mutations, especially the founding mutations, into account to avoid potential pitfall,” the authors wrote."

Old 04-23-2020, 08:53 PM

162 posts, read 102,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is about the age. Prisons have a lot of young people in them and they are not able to social distance. The death rate (and infection rate) has been super low.
Wrong again. It's been widely reported for weeks that the corona virus is rampant in prisons. The infection rate is super high, not "super low."

https://kjzz.org/content/1541266/cor...rizona-prisons

https://kjzz.org/content/1536826/cor...rizona-prisons

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...242096896.html

https://time.com/5825030/ohio-mass-t...eaks/?amp=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts