Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 09:18 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This was before the VA study, which as another poster pointed out wasn't a true "study" to begin with. It will be good to see the results of the U Penn study, but given what we knew at the time I don't think it was unsound advice. Remember, we were talking about patients already on their death bed. The risks of Plaquenil are being way overblown. Several posters on this very thread (including myself) have taken it long term with no issues.
Yes, but under the direction and supervision of qualified medical professionals, no doubt...who knows the bigger picture about your health condition, other medications you may be taking, etc. That's my point. Trump never claimed to be a doctor, but he wields an enormous influence and that's why this is reckless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 09:27 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My son's fiance is from Hong Kong and is very familiar with masks. She said the fiber N95 or Kn95 can be washed by soaking them for 5-10 minutes in a bowl with hot water, and about a tablespoon of household bleach. My doctor who is from Taiwan and is very familiar with masks said that if you have 4 N95 masks, number them 1-4, use a different mask each day, by the time you use #4, the virus would have died if there was any on mask 1. She also said you can put them in a 160 degree oven for 30 minutes. The metal on the mask is usually the aluminum nose adjuster, it won't hurt it to wash it.

Alternatively you can make your own. I cut up old pillow cases and cotton shirts and make masks, we just throw them in with the rest of our laundry. You can google 'how to make medical mask' and you will find hundreds of patterns and instructions, some of them don't even require a sewing machine. But to make a homemade cotton mask a little safer you should make them with a pocket for a filter, then cut up blue shop towels to fit.

thanks ya the mask is not a n95 it was given to me by someone who had cancer and needed it before when they where taking chemo.

I might go with cloth masks for convienence since i only have one mask that was medical.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can the materials take heat? 15 min in an over at 160f should be enough to kill virus. I have no way to prove this though.

I use ozone for my n95 masks, although that doesn’t really help many who don’t have access to such equipment. I’m also using a 5-mask rotation. By the time I cycle back to mask #1 it’s been a week or more given how often I get out of the house.

I do not know if the materials can take heat. I might go with the cloth masks they can be washed in the laundry and i can make several of them. i might try the oven method as someone else said n95 can be washed so i assume my mask can be washed in hot water there is only one way to find out.

the mask i have now was given to me by a person who used to have cancer.

how would spraying sanitizer on the mask not remove the virus? wouldn't a liberal amount of sanitzer sprayed do the trick?

Old 04-25-2020, 09:47 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yes, but under the direction and supervision of qualified medical professionals, no doubt...who knows the bigger picture about your health condition, other medications you may be taking, etc. That's my point. Trump never claimed to be a doctor, but he wields an enormous influence and that's why this is reckless.
It doesn't matter who recommends the drug, you can't get it without a prescription.

What's reckless is for Governor's to prohibit doctors from writing those prescriptions or people insinuating that the drug is dangerous.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:52 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Curious if anybody on this forum is doing any antibody testing this weekend. Several Health Express locations on the south shore (and I assume around other parts of the state) are offering antibody testing starting yesterday. Must be over the age 10 and obviously be symptom-free for 14 days.

I called and the testing is done on a first come, first serve basis. You park, call the front desk, and they come out and do everything from your car. The nurse I talked with this morning said to expect a "very long wait". Given that I've been symptom-free and definitely don't have hours to wait, I think I'll wait to take it. I did call my regular doc in hopes that their lab is doing the testing and I could get an appt. to take the test, but they aren't offering it "yet".

I'm glad to see these tests start to roll out. I've read there have been some issues with the early serology tests, but hopefully they are resolved quickly and the antibody tests will be widely available. While I don't see it changing anybody's behavior, I do think it will be eye-opening to see the numbers roll in.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:03 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
It doesn't matter who recommends the drug, you can't get it without a prescription.

What's reckless is for Governor's to prohibit doctors from writing those prescriptions or people insinuating that the drug is dangerous.
I never said it's dangerous...and who are the governors prohibiting doctors from prescribing it?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:03 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I'm glad to see these tests start to roll out. I've read there have been some issues with the early serology tests, but hopefully they are resolved quickly and the antibody tests will be widely available. While I don't see it changing anybody's behavior, I do think it will be eye-opening to see the numbers roll in.
I plan to next week. I know a few people that went yesterday.

Here is a place you can get it without a doctors prescription https://www.healthonelabs.com

I have already checked the test out and it is FDA approved and considered the most accurate test. It does cost $200 dollars but, I think it would be worth it for me because I have a few other issues that could be tied to having Covid.

It is supposed to result in 1-3 days to we should start hearing things soon.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:20 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Is anyone here sanitizing their masks if they are not a makeshift mask? some masks you can not wash would spraying sanitizer be the best way if you can not wash them? my mask has metal on it. The person who gave me the mask said i should not wash it .
I don't think it would be a good idea to spray sanitizer (Lysol or whatever) on the mask and then put it on your face.

I saw a segment on the news yesterday about tons of people recently getting sick (regular sick, not COVID sick) from the chemicals in household cleaners. It wasn't about masks or cleaning masks, but it came to mind when you mentioned spraying sanitizer on your mask.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:26 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Just checked the hospitalizations for the week (CDC tracks them) and this week they fell... if we follow the pattern, I would expect to see a reduction in deaths soon.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea to spray sanitizer (Lysol or whatever) on the mask and then put it on your face.

I saw a segment on the news yesterday about tons of people recently getting sick (regular sick, not COVID sick) from the chemicals in household cleaners. It wasn't about masks or cleaning masks, but it came to mind when you mentioned spraying sanitizer on your mask.
ya i was going to wait until putting it on after spraying the sanitizer like hours and hours after. but maybee there is a reason why most dont spray the sanitizer on their masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts