Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 08:14 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Thanks. A card with $500 for all seemed to good to be true.

So now you want a $500 EBT card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 08:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I know New Bedford has free breakfast and lunch for everyone. It’s federal money for school districts with more than 40% getting free breakfast and lunch. The program is called Community Eligibility Provision. If 60% of students qualify for free breakfast and lunch, the Feds pay the whole thing.

Here’s a link to the USDA web page on it.
https://www.fns.usda.gov/cn/communit...lity-provision

Old 11-02-2020, 09:33 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
I think Milford MA has free breakfast and lunch for everyone. Im glad for that, for those that need it. And if my taxes are higher for that, good. Ill support that, if that means some families in my town are able to eat a meal or 2. No big deal there.

Meanwhile, Im still saddenned by the animosity in this thread. We're all going through this freakin' pandemic together. I know we all won't/can't get along, but for the love of god.... enough, really. Im afraid of what Election Day brings.

Meanwhile, our numbers are still over 1000 new cases a day, and I just dont want to see this anymore.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:46 AM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So did anyone actually go out trick-or-treating?
We did. There are a couple of neighborhoods in our town that are known as great trick-or-treat spots, so we went there and only saw 1 or 2 other trick or treaters. Most of the homes had tables with candy at the end of the driveway, so that worked well. We went later in the night (trick or treating was from 4 - 8pm) and there was still a lot of candy left at 8pm, so I got the sense that very few had come through. Kind of made me sad, but my kids were happy they got to dress up and go out, so we considered it a success.

ETA: We only planned to hit a few houses, so I bought a bunch if their favorite candy that we now have at home, so they are happy about that.

Last edited by NewfieMama; 11-02-2020 at 10:09 AM..

Old 11-02-2020, 09:49 AM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
My town (Norwell) is also offering free breakfast and lunch for every student. It's been great for us because my kids are in school 4 mornings/week--they bring lunch home, can make and eat it themselves, and it's a win/win. Apparently not that many kids are using it, so the town may lose the funding at the end of the year. I think many nearby school districts are doing the same thing--I have friends in several other towns who are getting free kids lunches.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:10 AM

16,376 posts, read 8,187,139 times
We did end up going trick or treating in our quiet neighborhood. We didn't see many people out at all, but folks had set up tables and left candy in rows on the table. So there was no going up to anyones house. I kind of liked the idea and wonder if it will stick around? I guess some people at home maybe missed kids coming to the door? not sure though because many people had set up fire pits on their front lawn and could see the kids still. It was great!

A lot of people went above and beyond with the table set up. Put all sorts of decorations around the table.

Old 11-02-2020, 10:11 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The 500k earners in the South End usually aren’t taking selfies in front of Trinity or BPL, snapping random pics of buildings while blocking pedestrians on a sidewalk, or looking like lost deer while asking the group they’re with where they parked. Just as out-of-towners say and do things that make them stick out in your community, people who aren’t regulars in Boston say and do things to stick out in Boston, too. And the ones I see not wearing masks are doing the things that make them stick out.

But sure, let’s just jump to angry conclusions.
Aren't you a recent transplant yourself, or isn't most of the S End and Downtown Boston these days for that matter? I just find it interesting how people whose behavior happen to annoy you are always the "tourists".

Old 11-02-2020, 10:17 AM

432 posts, read 414,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Thanks. A card with $500 for all seemed to good to be true.
I actually almost threw it away. It just showed up in the mail one day.
We never had used the cafeteria for school lunch, and don't remember applying for anything. But yes it is connected to discounted/free school lunches. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/pandemic-ebt-p-ebt

Here's another story about the free meals. https://thecounter.org/usda-school-l...rdue-covid-19/

Old 11-02-2020, 10:46 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah they HAVE to be tourists. 500K/yr earners from the South End would NEVER behave like that in public.
I can confirm maskless tourists as well. If you’re carrying a Mike’s pastry box in one hand and a Freedom Trail map in the other and you and your spouse are both wearing Green Bay Packers sweatshirts, I tend to think tourist and not South End denizen. That’s who I saw in the Back Bay last weekend.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:01 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I can confirm maskless tourists as well. If you’re carrying a Mike’s pastry box in one hand and a Freedom Trail map in the other and you and your spouse are both wearing Green Bay Packers sweatshirts, I tend to think tourist and not South End denizen. That’s who I saw in the Back Bay last weekend.
I believe you there but that's just what you notice, people have a habit of confirming their biases while filtering out those examples that don't. It's rarer to see a native Bostonian walking around the Back Bay these days than it is to see a recent transplant or tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts