Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2020, 09:46 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
In my ideal world, there would be an at-home nose swab that works like a pregnancy test--one line for negative, 2 lines for positive . I could test my family every other day and we'd know definitively that we are COVID-free. I feel like for <$1 a test, the vast majority of people would keep these stocked in their homes and use them regularly.

They just need to exist first...

How about this?

MIT artificial intelligence model detects COVID-19 by sound of cough

"If incorporated into an app, it could be a useful early screening tool"

"The MIT researchers said that the differences in cough between healthy people and an individual with COVID-19 isn't decipherable to the human ear, but it can be picked up by AI.

In their study, AI was able to accurately identify 98.5% of coughs from people with confirmed COVID-19, including 100% of those who were asymptomatic.

The team hopes that their findings can help provide a convenient way to screen asymptomatic people for COVID-19.

For their project, they asked people to voluntarily submit forced-cough recordings through their cellphones and laptops. The team then fed the recordings into the algorithm which is based on tens of thousands of samples of coughs as well as spoken words."

"The MIT team is in the process of integrating the algorithm into an app. If it receives U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval, it could become a free, noninvasive screening tool to identify people with asymptomatic COVID-19.

The users of the app could log into it daily and simply cough into their phone. The instant results would alert them to a possible infection and the need to get tested."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 09:47 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Baker is making public health decisions in proportion to the risk based on science, and has my full support. What is with the out of state complaints? I don't go to my home state midwest forum and complain about the casual racism or lack of job opportunities.

That, and a bag of chips.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:48 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
How about this?

"The MIT researchers said that the differences in cough between healthy people and an individual with COVID-19 isn't decipherable to the human ear, but it can be picked up by AI.

In their study, AI was able to accurately identify 98.5% of coughs from people with confirmed COVID-19, including 100% of those who were asymptomatic.

The team hopes that their findings can help provide a convenient way to screen asymptomatic people for COVID-19.

For their project, they asked people to voluntarily submit forced-cough recordings through their cellphones and laptops. The team then fed the recordings into the algorithm which is based on tens of thousands of samples of coughs as well as spoken words."

"The MIT team is in the process of integrating the algorithm into an app. If it receives U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval, it could become a free, noninvasive screening tool to identify people with asymptomatic COVID-19.

The users of the app could log into it daily and simply cough into their phone. The instant results would alert them to a possible infection and the need to get tested."
Yes!! I heard about that on the radio yesterday!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:51 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
In my ideal world, there would be an at-home nose swab that works like a pregnancy test--one line for negative, 2 lines for positive . I could test my family every other day and we'd know definitively that we are COVID-free. I feel like for <$1 a test, the vast majority of people would keep these stocked in their homes and use them regularly.

They just need to exist first...

This would be helpful, but I would imagine their use would be widely disproportionate. I imagine there are segments of the population that would not seek out any testing at all if they had to pay anything out of pocket, so unless these tests were free, it wouldn't be something everyone would do. I'm also sure there are some that would balk at the idea of using them in general.

Workplace and school requirements could be a deciding factor however. One of my friends just informed me they now get tested weekly for their employment. I could see this rolling out at my work one day, but with such a large workforce, it would be rather expensive, and we've only had 4 cases of employees coming down with it since March (with one passing away). No inter-facility transmission.

Part of the reason I don't get tested on a repeated schedule is I just don't feel like taking time out of my day to go do it. I'm busy as it is. Now, if it was easier such as an at-home test....

Quote:

"
Now that would be something....

Old 11-03-2020, 10:15 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure what to think of this. I cant say it applies to me since I don't leave the house after 7pm these days and i'm certainly not up before 5am. I feel bad for restaurants, this will hurt them. I guess this seems to be directed at the partiers/late night eaters in restaurants. However people can and still will have parties in their own homes if they want to.
It affects late night restaurants, yeah... For them, I feel bad, in general no matter what time.

The state/federal govt should be helping them out, but Im thinking they are not.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:04 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You seem to have an ax to grind on colleges
No axe here. You, however, seem to be quite concerned about your job. Understandable, but not exactly unbiased.

Everything that is currently happening was accurately predicted by tons of people. Instead of admitting it was a horrible idea to reopen schools and colleges, and doing something about it (i.e. shutting them down), we're hearing a lot of garbage from the local governors in an effort to try to keep the economy from completely tanking. The new restrictions are insufficient. If schools and colleges aren't shut down (along with indoor dining and all non-essential businesses), we'll have an uncontrollable situation. It is inevitable. There won't be a choice soon.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:04 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
I don’t really understand it. Does transmission increase after 9:30pm?

This is just going to force any people who would be eating at that time to go out earlier?

Old 11-03-2020, 11:13 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...m-nightly.html

Where are the courts to curb this guy's power grab. Let people make up their own mind. And absolutely no reason to wear a mask outside not near anyone. The stupidity is overwhelming. The more they try these ridiculous measures the more people are not going to comply, because they have over reached.
Hmm why require masks all the time...I dunno...maybe he wants mask-wearing to actually become a habit? And not something that people conveniently forget?

Old 11-03-2020, 12:22 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
No axe here. You, however, seem to be quite concerned about your job. Understandable, but not exactly unbiased.

Everything that is currently happening was accurately predicted by tons of people. Instead of admitting it was a horrible idea to reopen schools and colleges, and doing something about it (i.e. shutting them down), we're hearing a lot of garbage from the local governors in an effort to try to keep the economy from completely tanking. The new restrictions are insufficient. If schools and colleges aren't shut down (along with indoor dining and all non-essential businesses), we'll have an uncontrollable situation. It is inevitable. There won't be a choice soon.

I'm also in some of the highest risk factors one can be in as a 30-something. Yes, I'm concerned for my job. But I also feel 100% more comfortable going to campus and interacting with people there than I do in almost any other setting. I can interview a student or film a video on campus, but won't eat inside a restaurant. The data backs me up on that, whether you believe it or not.

There's 0 data to support that colleges are contributing to the uncontrollable situation. In fact, removing that early warning and quarantining system would likely make things worse as those same students will be interacting in less protected settings with significantly less testing, tracing, and quarantine measures.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
I was in the 'wait until the students come back' camp in late summer but I can't argue with the testing data that I have seen to date.

I have been very impressed with how quickly and thoroughly the universities mobilized, and how low the case numbers are thus far. Yes, I appreciate the financial aspect/driver but impressive nonetheless.

Data driven rather than a 'feeling'.

And no, I don't have kids in college, nor am I affiliated with a college in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts