Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2020, 02:31 PM

9,081 posts, read 6,305,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
They culled because they discovered that minks had transmitted a mutated strain to humans,with now several people infected
They could have at least tried to train the minks to socially distance first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 02:39 PM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I caught wind of the mink story a while ago. They didn’t feel humans were at risk at the time. Now it appears it does transmit and may be more resistant. That would seriously put a damper of the worlds efforts to roll out a vaccine if a resistant strain made it into the population.

I feel bad for the minks, and the industry, but at the same time have mixed feelings about the long term survival of the fur industry. That’s an entirely different topic though.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:59 PM

779 posts, read 876,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
What? I don't see choosing not to wear a seatbelt a right. Driving a car isn't even a right. Laws exist for many reasons, and seatbelt laws exist to save lives, limit injuries, and keep first responders and hospitals less busy.

I find your $1/month comment in poor taste. Tell that to families who have lost loved ones because their kids or friends weren't wearing their seatbelt. I'm old enough—before seatbelts became mandatory—to have lost friends because they weren't wearing their seatbelt.

If you feel like a seatbelt law is "exerting power over you," walk.
Driving a car is not a right. I'm not sure what parallel you are drawing there. I'm sorry you find my comment in poor taste. I'm also sorry your friends did not choose to wear a seatbelt and lost their lives as a result. Seatbelt laws were not mandatory when I was a child and I have had many surgeries--along with temporary paralysis--as a result of not being put in a seatbelt when I was a small child. I simply don't feel my personal experience gives me the right to tell others how to live their lives.

I don't think you understand my point about how laws enacted that affect personal freedoms are a form of "power" because it takes away a person's option to choose what is best for him/her. I understand that once a law is enacted, it's my choice to adhere to the law or risk breaking it. My initial response was really about how a person might feel that the laws that have been enacted take away personal freedom--at this point it's veered pretty far off topic, so I'm dropping it so we can stay focused on the pandemic-related discussion.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:07 PM

23,529 posts, read 18,678,020 times
When it comes the right to harm oneself as a legal adult, I think there should be some wiggle room regarding government enforcement. When you are talking about the right to harm others, it becomes much less debatable. That is where the government has a role to protect us from anarchy, and provide us the freedom to live in peace and without fear.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:25 PM

9,081 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
When it comes the right to harm oneself as a legal adult, I think there should be some wiggle room regarding government enforcement. When you are talking about the right to harm others, it becomes much less debatable. That is where the government has a role to protect us from anarchy, and provide us the freedom to live in peace and without fear.
Well stated!

Old 11-05-2020, 03:39 PM

779 posts, read 876,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I agree. And I think the grey area regarding pandemic-related laws are two fold: a.) people fundamentally disagree about how harmful COVID is and b.) it's hard to measure the unintended consequences of the laws put into place (e.g. increased depression, suicide, domestic abuse, businesses failing, patients foregoing medical treatments, etc.)...basically the reasons "the cure shouldn't be worse than the disease."

I'm not saying that what we've enacted is wrong, I just understand how that gray area can lead to people feeling divided.

Old 11-05-2020, 04:15 PM

16,323 posts, read 8,150,917 times
1761 new cases today. 23 deaths.

Old 11-05-2020, 04:43 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,765,641 times
Default King Charlie issues Another Draconian Massachusetts stay-at-home advisory, business curfews, mask mandate

I really sympathize for all the small business owners that will lose their livelihoods

I can only hope that God has a special place in hell for king Charlie!

Quote:

Curfews for businesses and an overnight stay-at-home advisory for residents from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. are coming as Gov. Charlie Baker tries to put a clamp on the recent rise in coronavirus cases with a series of new executive orders that critics denounced as “nanny state” measures.

The orders take effect at 12:01 a.m. on Friday.

“The simple truth is this: too many of us have become complacent in our daily lives,” Baker said, speaking at the State House on Monday.

Baker revealed his list of “targeted measures” he said are designed to send the message that people should avoid gatherings and stay home.
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/11...urce-confirms/

Old 11-05-2020, 04:55 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Driving a car is not a right. I'm not sure what parallel you are drawing there. I'm sorry you find my comment in poor taste. I'm also sorry your friends did not choose to wear a seatbelt and lost their lives as a result. Seatbelt laws were not mandatory when I was a child and I have had many surgeries--along with temporary paralysis--as a result of not being put in a seatbelt when I was a small child. I simply don't feel my personal experience gives me the right to tell others how to live their lives.

I don't think you understand my point about how laws enacted that affect personal freedoms are a form of "power" because it takes away a person's option to choose what is best for him/her. I understand that once a law is enacted, it's my choice to adhere to the law or risk breaking it. My initial response was really about how a person might feel that the laws that have been enacted take away personal freedom--at this point it's veered pretty far off topic, so I'm dropping it so we can stay focused on the pandemic-related discussion.
People getting in crashes without wearing seatbelts tie up first responders and emergency rooms. It's not a simple decision that doesn't affect others. It does. And I'm sorry you went through what you did.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Perhaps listen to well respected scientists rather than clickbait...

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/05/...-be-overblown/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts