Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2020, 09:32 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I hate the arrows. I really do. If it takes 10,000 hours to be an "expert" at something, then I am most definitely a grocery shopping expert. I have list. It is organized--I know EXACTLY what I need from every aisle. I am efficient, I do not retrace steps. The arrows make my efficiency a nightmare. I don't need every aisle, yet now I have to go down every aisle because if I don't, I can't get to the aisle I need from dedicated direction. I'm actually in the store LONGER now. Also, my store has changed the arrows many times. So as soon as I think I know the flow of traffic, they've changed the arrows and it completely throws off my plan. I tend to go to the store when it's less crowded, so I now do that thing where I park my cart at the end of the aisle, make sure nobody is in the aisle, then sneak down the aisle to grab the one thing I need.

When I see somebody go the wrong direction without a care in the world, I secretly admire them for their ability to brazenly defy the rules without the guilt I feel.
I am somewhat fortunate in that most of what I eat is found in the produce, meat and dairy departments located around the perimeter of the store. Outside of bread, tea and paper products I rarely have to go into the aisles. The bread aisle at my store is located between the meat and dairy departments with an arrow that goes from the back of the store to front. The particular bread I buy is only a third of way down the aisle from the back. I'll go into the aisle with my cart to pick up the bread but instead of going all the way down the aisle and back up the next one, I simply keep the cart pointed in the direction of the arrow but look over my shoulder and walk backwards out of the aisle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 09:37 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
The particular bread I buy is only a third of way down the aisle from the back. I'll go into the aisle with my cart to pick up the bread but instead of going all the way down the aisle and back up the next one, I simply keep the cart pointed in the direction of the arrow but look over my shoulder and walk backwards out of the aisle.
Yes! I use this tactic often if I know the item I need is in near the end of the aisle! Funny that we've all come up with our tactics now that it's been this way for months.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:40 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
I typically shop at night when the store is almost empty. And no I am not going to go all the way around if what I need is 10 ft. the wrong way up an aisle, if there is nobody else there.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:41 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I typically shop at night when the store is almost empty. And no I am not going to go all the way around if what I need is 10 ft. the wrong way up an aisle, if there is nobody else there.
right I said I thought that was ok too

Old 11-09-2020, 10:23 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
I go the right way down the aisles in the stores, 90% of the time. At some point, I end up not needing something down the aisle, and have to make a choice, go down it, or skip it. Then if I skip it, I mess things up later. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes I Just walk down it, and move along... Sometimes I get more tired (with MS) but I do anyways.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:18 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yeah, me too. When my girlfriend and I have gone together over the past several months, we have just gotten into the habit of going up an down every aisle, following the arrows, in order. It's kind of annoying, but it's saved us a lot of doubling back which was a pretty frequent occurrence pre-COVID since we inevitably forget 1 or 2 (or 9 or 10) things. But yeah, I'll do exactly the same thing sometimes and I've also caught myself inadvertently going the wrong way. At this point, I generally shrug it off when I see others going the wrong way and assume it's not intentional. It happens way too often to get mad at everyone. If this was going to be a permanent thing, those little one-way gates would easily fix the problem. But as long as it's temporary, there's no sense in doing that.

If anyone's in Boston and wants to see just how chaotic arrows can look, check out Time Out Market. It's an absolute joke in front of many of the stalls.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:23 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I was at Derby st in hingham yesterday and there was a long line/wait out of the door. I was baffled. No idea why anyone would wait. There are other grocery stores that dont have lines.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:26 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Covid or no, going to a grocery store on Sunday is on my avoid list.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:56 AM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was at Derby st in hingham yesterday and there was a long line/wait out of the door. I was baffled. No idea why anyone would wait. There are other grocery stores that dont have lines.
Yeah, we've managed to not stand in line once for a grocery store. I've seen plenty, particularly at the Wegmen's in Medford, but between picking different times and going to different stores, it's easily avoidable.

Old 11-09-2020, 11:58 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yeah, we've managed to not stand in line once for a grocery store. I've seen plenty, particularly at the Wegmen's in Medford, but between picking different times and going to different stores, it's easily avoidable.
It's amazed me that people are still standing in lines. There's 10x the population density in Boston and none of their stores have lines, but drive out to Needham and, bam - line of people.

I'd add Trader Joe's to the list of unusual 'huh? why are you standing in line for this?!' stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts