Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Any business no matter the size should not adhere to this. What will Baker do, fine everyone. And it’s almost laughable that the Government thinks they have any say in the amount of people a homeowner chooses to have in their home. And even more laughable thinking they can limit the amount of people in an outdoor space.

Anyway it’s all for optics. If they cared about anything they wouldn’t wait for Holidays or certain times. If it was that essential to do this it would be immediate. This is all just a big show, and with any government action we are the ones paying for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I find statements like this epically selfish.

It's not selfish; it's ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 11:26 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I think the only reason there isn’t a widespread shutdown is because there is no safety net for those businesses who would be impacted the most. It would be s death-knell for many.

The message seems obvious now that Businesses and schools will stay open, but at your own risk.

Of course all of this comes with Baker pleading for people to stop intermixing with other households. I don’t envy his position right now.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:28 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
A full shutdown of restaurants is a kiss of death for a lot of them. He doesnt want to do that.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not selfish; it's ignorant.
Ignorant? Not at all. You live your way I’ll live mine. And I believe that these “restrictions” are a just a show. It’s for all the people who want to shut everything down. It’s appeasing the squeaky wheel at the expense of the little guy. But you people don’t care about anyone or anything but yourselves.

At this point in time we all know the risks. Let these businesses operate at full capacity. No one is forcing anyone to do anything that would put them at risk. If you don’t want to eat out , see a movie, go to the store you don’t have too. But let the people that want to have that choice. Last I checked we still live in a free society

Old 12-23-2020, 01:53 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Ignorant? Not at all. You live your way I’ll live mine. And I believe that these “restrictions” are a just a show. It’s for all the people who want to shut everything down. It’s appeasing the squeaky wheel at the expense of the little guy. But you people don’t care about anyone or anything but yourselves.

At this point in time we all know the risks. Let these businesses operate at full capacity. No one is forcing anyone to do anything that would put them at risk. If you don’t want to eat out , see a movie, go to the store you don’t have too. But let the people that want to have that choice. Last I checked we still live in a free society
No. Because when someone goes to a movie or eats out they can easily get COVID and then they'll be giving it to other people. No matter how careful the rest of us are, and no matter how much the elderly stay in, everyone HAS to go out every once in a while. It's not fair that when they DO go out they bear the added risk of whoever people like you have been in contact with.

You really think the at risk elderly have stayed inside 100% of the time since April? They HAVE to go out whether they want to or not. Whether it's a dr's appt or putting gas in the car or picking up a meal or even walking the dog, they can't stay inside all the time. You're infringing upon the few things they need to do. They have rights too.

The restrictions are to stop the spread. If you can figure out how to be patient, it may not be that long before these at risk people you don't seem to care about will be vaccinated. Then they'll be going to restaurants, movies, stores, just like you. Life is bad enough for them now and you want to make it worse. I'm embarrassed that you say you're in WMass because we are not like that.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

FYIGM selfishness has a social cost. Bay State Medical has 18 COVID-19 patients in the ICU. I sure hope someone in your family doesn’t have a severe car crash or heart attack or stroke with overflowing hospitals.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:10 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
It’s also selfish to want everyone to stay inside to prevent a smaller group of people from possibly getting sick. No one wants elderly people to get sick. But what about 40 years old Joe who runs a bar or restaurant and has 3 kids and a mortgage? He has depended on his restaurant feeding his family but now has to worry about elderly people dying? If I was him I would want to continue to take care of my family. I’d be angry that I was earning far less because I’m supposed to be worried about people I don’t know dying.

Seems like a lot of people who want businesses shut down are sitting at home on the couch working, probably taking time off right now. There’s no easy answer to this. I’m not saying anyone should be going to the movies or out to eat but if someone chooses to do that safely it seems unfair to call them selfish.

And quite honestly it is pretty easy for many elderly people to stay home and not go out. They can have groceries and shopping delivered. Getting gas seems like a pretty low risk activity to me. If they need to get out go for a walk or drive. If they choose to go to a restaurant or someone’s home then that’s on them.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:38 PM

They didn’t shut down hockey either which is kind of surprising. The rink we go has it pretty under control. People get dressed in cars and they set up a tent in the parking lot which is basically a locker room for older kids. I’ve gone to a few of my sons games and there’s barely anyone in the rink. Only one parent can go in but some wait in the cars. Also no siblings allowed.

So as far as the indoor thing will stop and shop only be allowing 10 people in at a time ? How do they really know what 25% maximum capacity is?

Old 12-23-2020, 02:55 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
But what about 40 years old Joe who runs a bar or restaurant and has 3 kids and a mortgage?
You should check out the covid hospitalization stats by age. There are many 40 year old Joes in the hospital. He's not protected from this virus...and neither are you, Western Mass guy, or Newfie Mama.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Ok but my point is maybe joe wants to take the risk to continue to generate revenue. Yes people are dying but there’s like a 98% recovery rate. I know a few people who have it now and they feel tired or lost their sense of smell.

What are your thoughts on this :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...-2020/35057186

I’m curious who will actually get money. A small mom and pop diner in Quincy or Abe and Louies on boylston st?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts