Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 12:55 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
CDC Update published today

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

Someone should have told the CDC you aren't allowed to compare anything about Covid 19 to influenza.

This is all very good news! I'm sure some of you will let me know why it's actually the opposite.
It's definitely good news. This isn't, though:

Quote:
Hospitalization rates for COVID-19 in adults (18-64 years) are already higher than hospitalization rates for influenza at comparable time points* during the past 5 influenza seasons.
I'd like to see a little more data than a bullet point as well. But still, the hospitalization rate for older adults good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 01:32 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's definitely good news. This isn't, though:

I'd like to see a little more data than a bullet point as well. But still, the hospitalization rate for older adults good news.
True, I guess the silver lining there is that the older adults are so much more vulnerable than the rest and we can view this panic about children a bit more soberly. 18-64 obviously a huge portion of population (which I assume most of us here fit into), but we are not at major fatality risk. Def would like to see more data.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
My company was told today that anyone who can work from home will be doing so until the end of December.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:44 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
CDC Update published today

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...iew/index.html

Someone should have told the CDC you aren't allowed to compare anything about Covid 19 to influenza.

This is all very good news! I'm sure some of you will let me know why it's actually the opposite.

I'll bite. Lockdown and social distancing. Remove that from the equation and the COVID numbers would absolutely dwarf the flu numbers.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:49 PM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
This means nothing, and furthermore, has absolutely no evidence to support it. The "Kawasaki-like" weaseling is meaningless too. This is how these things are. They don't even know what causes any of this normally in the first place, but somehow you know for a fact it's caused by Covid 19?

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...o-coronavirus/

“We have cared for kids with Kawasaki disease, and conditions like Kawasaki disease, for literally decades,” said Dr. Terry Dermody, a virologist and the physician-in-chief and scientific director at UPMC’s Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh. “Despite years and years of searching for a cause, we’ve not come up with any certain link to Kawasaki disease, any infectious trigger. We all suspect that there is one, but we haven’t been able to identify it.”

“We’re really still in our infancy of understanding this infection,” said Springer. “And our testing is still unsure, so we don’t have testing capacity that’s really well validated. Are those positives true positives, and are those negatives true negatives? We don’t exactly know the answer yet.”

It’s possible that covid-19 is not a cause for the syndrome, just a “tripwire,” Dermody said. It could easily be caused by any other severe virus the child is exposed to.

It's similar but different. Do some research. The kids in NY don't have fevers.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'll bite. Lockdown and social distancing. Remove that from the equation and the COVID numbers would absolutely dwarf the flu numbers.
Yep

Old 05-15-2020, 02:23 PM

943 posts, read 409,349 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Also, the hospitalization rate for working age adults is higher than during flu season, according to the CDC - despite the lockdown!

Old 05-15-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Weird that it would be going down as many states open up to a large degree though (i.e. ending the lockdown and Social Distancing). Seems like the opposite of your theory.

Old 05-15-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Absolutely. Also, the hospitalization rate for working age adults is higher than during flu season, according to the CDC - despite the lockdown!
This would suggest it doesn't work then...

Heads I win tails you lose!

Old 05-15-2020, 02:28 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Weird that it would be going down as many states open up to a large degree though (i.e. ending the lockdown and Social Distancing). Seems like the opposite of your theory.
Or there's just latency in infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts