Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 08:44 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
timberline, even the top 100 smartest economists in the world are stumped as to what the correct answer/response is to this unprecedented pandemic. I can't imagine the same genius who just a month or two ago saw this as nothing more than a great opportunity to score cheap travel, would know better than them...
This is a bit different than believing that the Fed can just "print" money for 18+ months to float the economy. That is a brutally naive assumption, IMO, and what Timberland and Bjimmy are choking on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
The federal debt was large by historical standards before the coronavirus crisis. Is it a problem that it’s going to get a lot bigger?

Measured against the size of the economy, the federal debt is more than twice what it was before the Great Recession (80 percent of GDP today vs 35 percent at the end of 2007) and larger than at any time in U.S. history except immediately after World War II. We are going to bust that record, for sure. But at times like these–like times of war–government borrowing to fund essential spending is prudent if the alternative is devastation, economic or otherwise. As long as interest rates remain low, the government can shoulder a heavier burden of debt than if rates were higher. Yes, we are passing the bill onto future generations, but with interest rates this low, that bill is probably pretty small. In any case, the alternative–not doing the fiscal stimulus necessary to keep the economy afloat and get it restarted after the epidemic ends–would likely be worse for future generations.

Source: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...avirus-crisis/

Old 05-14-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This is a bit different than believing that the Fed can just "print" money for 18+ months to float the economy. That is a brutally naive assumption, IMO, and what Timberland and Bjimmy are choking on.
You're not following.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:50 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
There's an entire other thread for everyone's half baked economic knowledge.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Of course its a total lie that I saw it "just" as a cheap opportunity to score travel. But liars lie. They can't help it. Of course I bought travel tickets cheaply, its no different than continuing to dollar cost average into the market, and where I go are dependent on tourism... I just contributed a good sum to hospitality people in iquitos that are suffering. If you feel bad about buying flights at reduced prices, I sure hope they aren't buying into the market at reduced prices.

But again, intellectually dishonest right wingers can't help but lying through their teeth. It really would be nice if that side could have a legitimate discussion without lying. I've given up hope.

Of course the best and brightest economists aren't disagreeing, but hey, double down on lies when backed into a corner. A handful of Austrian school economists are promoting austerity and more trickle down crap, but they're not known for being bright.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:58 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
yes exactly.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:15 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
There's an entire other thread for everyone's half baked economic knowledge.
*Threads

This said, despite the drama, this sub remains much more stable than Limbaugh-lite (the NH sub).

Old 05-14-2020, 09:17 PM

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2020/han00432.asp

"Distributed via the CDC Health Alert Network
May 14, 2020, 4:45 PM ET
CDCHAN-00432

Summary
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is providing 1) background information on several cases of a recently reported multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) associated with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19); and 2) a case definition for this syndrome. CDC recommends healthcare providers report any patient who meets the case definition to local, state, and territorial health departments to enhance knowledge of risk factors, pathogenesis, clinical course, and treatment of this syndrome."

Old 05-14-2020, 09:26 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
*Threads

This said, despite the drama, this sub remains much more stable than Limbaugh-lite (the NH sub).
That is not saying much. NH is a libertarian cesspool, and central to the East Coast White Pride movement (now defunct as a forum, but several of their posters are here) and financially dependent on Mass.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Oh yeah. I can attest to that as well. Three kids at home, two are doing distance learning with two different curriculums and then a high energy 2.5 year old who wants attention all day long. Combine that with two parents trying to work from home, in addition to dinner, cleaning, dishes, trash, etc and it's a full day.

Ours are usually asleep by 8PM though, and stay asleep until around 7AM, so no lack of sleep here unless I spend a late night in the garage. But, having had a child who was a problem sleeper at a young age, I definitely know what it's like to get woken up every 2 hours during the course of a night and not get any sleep. SOOOOO happy we don't have that added to our plate.

Now, if we could only get the art teacher to understand that completing their art assignment doesn't really rank high on our list of priorities for the day.....
Ugh that sounds awful, my son is trying to get his 8 year old through this distance learning adventure and he said the same thing about the art assignment "I spend hours trying to teach this boy how to analyze a paragraph and half of the time I can't figure out what answer they are even looking for and the art teacher is whining because he hasn't done his project with cotton balls so that I can take a picture of it and send it to her? no, no and hell no"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts