Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 06:42 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I agree fully, and I think he's proven to be a true American hero. The people who criticize him for incorrect or inconsistent statements in the past, do not understand math or science IMO. Can you imagine navigating the past 4 months without his expertise? Lord help us the next 4 months...as they've managed to muzzle him and the CDC (with case data going directly to HHS now).
I have a feeling that many hospitals will continue to report to the CDC as well as HHS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 09:07 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I have a feeling that many hospitals will continue to report to the CDC as well as HHS.
I haven't heard this. If the HHS is the sole source of info, guarantee the numbers will be manipulated to show declining trends. It may be left up to the media to gather up all the reporting sources and report a tally...but we all know how that will be portrayed, if it differs from the official HHS number.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Good for them, the numbers aren’t awful yet, but they’re starting to trend the wrong way. I hope all states are as vigilant.
You’d think that after all the Florida spring break coverage, any “morons on a beach” story in the Northeast would cause a big reaction in capacity. It’s your basic “if you can’t play with your toys properly, I’m taking them away”.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
As has been said numerous times, what's going on in other parts of the country will affect us. Even if people from those other areas aren't coming here and spreading it like crazy (yet), what's happening now is that the testing labs are overwhelmed and there's a long delay. With test results taking 6-7 (maybe even 10) days, this means that contact tracing here is not effective.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
As has been said numerous times, what's going on in other parts of the country will affect us. Even if people from those other areas aren't coming here and spreading it like crazy (yet), what's happening now is that the testing labs are overwhelmed and there's a long delay. With test results taking 6-7 (maybe even 10) days, this means that contact tracing here is not effective.
I think enough of the testing is local that the insanity in Texas and Florida won’t impact the testing capabilities in the Northeast.

I’m optimistic that mask and distancing norms will be enough to keep the transmission rate low in the face of red state plague people showing up in New England. It’s not like it’s all that different from the community spread we already have. I’m less optimistic about colleges next month.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why would the costs for on-campus housing be removed?
I'm speaking to prior semesters. Many institutions have refunded (prorated) housing and meal plan costs as they could not fulfill the contract and/or plan to as they intend to maintain current online learning practices.

I was not suggesting an open campus would refund housing costs if being utilized.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:02 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well there’s a lot of morons in the northeast then because the beaches here are crowded too.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:11 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It is always a pleasure to switch to reading or listening to the thoughts and opinions of well educated men like Fauci every once in a while. This published interview is reminiscent of literature I used to review back in graduate school. Notice the calm tone of his voice in his responses, which are very articulated and well thought out. Even when he gives an opinion he backs it with statements rather than just spewing out rhetoric. I really wish more Americans would give him a chance to properly explain his logical deductions about the coronavirus than quickly dismiss the man.

Indeed. We are very lucky to have him.

His job would be incredibly difficult even with the support of a competent administration - imagine trying to do so with the constant petulance and sociopathy from the corner office.

Lets hope he doesn't get dismissed and replaced with Kushner or someone of his ilk.

Last edited by sawyer2; 07-16-2020 at 07:27 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 07:25 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Lord help us the next 4 months...as they've managed to muzzle him and the CDC (with case data going directly to HHS now).

I am very concerned about this. They don't want to alienate the 'Muh freedom' contingent that are essential for re-election, at the expense of putting the measures in place that are needed to contain the spread.

Wag the dog with Chynah as we approach November? - let's hope not

Old 07-16-2020, 07:46 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think enough of the testing is local that the insanity in Texas and Florida won’t impact the testing capabilities in the Northeast.

Delays in Coronavirus Test Results Have Medical Professionals Concerned

""It's concerning to hear that in places like Arizona or Texas, it may be taking over a week for results to come back," said Dr. Thomas Tsai, an assistant professor at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health and a surgeon at Brigham and Women's Hospital.

But it's not only states that are surging that are seeing test result backlogs – we're seeing it in Massachusetts, too.

Both Quest and Lab Corp say prior to the end of June, test turnaround time was generally down to 24-48 hours.

Now, on average, it takes four to six days for results."

RI test results delayed, as nationwide demand soars for COVID-19 lab work

"During a briefing with the governor, Health Department Director Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott acknowledged complaints among a growing number of Rhode Islanders who have expressed frustration in recent days about wait times for testing results lasting upwards of a week.

The health director said the delays stem largely from heightened demand for testing kits to be analyzed in out-of-state laboratories where some testing companies in Rhode Island also send tests to be analyzed. State officials are “very focused on this,” she said.

“As other states are starting to ramp up their testing, it is causing the private commercial labs that send their tests out of state to have to deal with more [competition],” she said."

Rhode Island experiencing delays in getting coronavirus test results

""NBC 10 News has heard from viewers about waits for test results of more than a week, including in nursing homes."

""If it takes five or six days before we know if I'm positive and if I've been continuing to interact with people, that is a problem and it makes our contact tracing less effective," Raimondo said.

Raimondo said private labs that the state sends tests to are seeing a lot more demand from other states now, too, causing the backlog.

"We have got to reduce that testing lag time and we will. Every state is struggling with it and we are working on it," Raimondo said."

Last edited by redplum33; 07-16-2020 at 07:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts