Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 07:33 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I feel like this news has been making the rounds over the past couple of days: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6928e2_w

It's a story about how 2 hair stylists tested positive for COVID, but because they were wearing masks (and most of the clients were wearing masks), there was no transmission from stylist to client.

The teachers in this case were in the classroom with the kids for three hours, which is longer than a typical hair appointment, but hopefully the PPE kept the kids safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 07:41 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
We use MS Teams, and I usually don't turn on my camera. One of the (few) indulgences during this WFH has been skipping my morning shave every 1-2 days...so an impromptu video call would not be a good thing. Although the folks who study the effectiveness of virtual teams, say that being more casual helps to bring teams closer together.
Same. We use Teams and most don't turn on the camera. That definitely helps as I usually have my hair piled on top of my head in some kind of messy topknot, no makeup and no bra. Plus, I like the lighting dim. One thing I love about WFH, no nasty office florescent lighting!

Old 07-17-2020, 07:48 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Do people enjoy showing their face during zooms? Its fine at times but other times I’m like does this person really need to see my face?
We use WebEx, and we never use video. Even when we conference with a customer, no video. 99% of the time we are looking at a presentation on the screen, so no need to have video up. I have a professional headshot that I use in my "square". Most don't even go that far. I do some of my meetings while walking on the treadmill so I don't want video.

We had a 5-day Online training a couple weeks back with about 13 members of my team and an instructor. Only the instructor had their video on and kept dropping subtle pleas for others to turn on their video. Nobody did.

Every time I get a new laptop issued to me, the first thing I do is stick a piece of tape over the camera.

Also, I've done some interviews since March. Phone call only, no video.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We use WebEx, and we never use video. Even when we conference with a customer, no video. 99% of the time we are looking at a presentation on the screen, so no need to have video up. I have a professional headshot that I use in my "square". Most don't even go that far. I do some of my meetings while walking on the treadmill so I don't want video.

We had a 5-day Online training a couple weeks back with about 13 members of my team and an instructor. Only the instructor had their video on and kept dropping subtle pleas for others to turn on their video. Nobody did.

Every time I get a new laptop issued to me, the first thing I do is stick a piece of tape over the camera.

Also, I've done some interviews since March. Phone call only, no video.

I like this approach - I really don't understand the fascination/need to look at co-workers faces at any meeting.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I also think the showing of faces and surroundings can be awkward on a call. I had a call with a scientist from a well known pharma company a few weeks back and she did not turn on her video. Others did so she felt the need to explain and said, I’m not turning on my video because I’m in my bedroom hiding from my kids. She didn’t need to explain any further and I so understood where she was coming from. I’m so tired of turning on my video on zoom calls but I guess it’s better than having to commute in.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:57 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
I also think the showing of faces and surroundings can be awkward on a call. I had a call with a scientist from a well known pharma company a few weeks back and she did not turn on her video. Others did so she felt the need to explain and said, I’m not turning on my video because I’m in my bedroom hiding from my kids. She didn’t need to explain any further and I so understood where she was coming from. I’m so tired of turning on my video on zoom calls but I guess it’s better than having to commute in.
Eh...it depends though there's some rules depending on what's going on. In CT the state government tried to argue that cameras should be on for live school sessions. But then the argument was brought up you are still a mandated reporter and thus if a teacher sees something illegal they must report per the law. That put an end to using cameras. Of course the other argument is does someone even have to be "home" when working from "home". Borders are closed but there's nothing preventing people from being in another state, a mountain top, a beach, a park etc.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:22 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Borders are closed but there's nothing preventing people from being in another state, a mountain top, a beach, a park etc.
My Brother and Sister-in-law rented a campsite in NH for the summer and bought an RV. They've been pretty much living there all summer with some limited trips back to their home. By my BIL has been working the entire time M-F. He'll use a hotspot (that he can expense) and when required to do a meeting with video, he will throw up a sheet as a background in the RV, and conduct his meeting there. He is 100% remote.

Honestly, I don't see an issue. He's available when needed, and actively being productive.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:38 AM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Got mine this afternoon, almost exactly 24 hours after taking the test.
I'm curious where you got tested. From what I understand, this is definitely not the norm at the current time.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:48 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I'm curious where you got tested. From what I understand, this is definitely not the norm at the current time.
My girlfriend and I got tested at CHA Somerville (Highland Avenue) which is appointment only. My brother got tested yesterday at Mass General Chelsea, the free (for all MA residents) site that takes walk-ins (and allows appointments), and had his results via the app this morning. Better yet, he said he was in/out in less than 30 minutes as a walk-in.

I don't at all doubt that there are delays in some cases. It's probably highly dependent on the particular lab processing the tests. But it doesn't appear that delays are standard across the board for everyone at this point.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:58 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
I think you have to draw the line somewhere. If you are responding to emails at 9pm then you’re kind of saying, hey it’s ok to email late at night and I’ll answer. I just try to keep work between the hours of 9 and 6.
I sometimes envy people who can just turn off their work and go home at the end of the day. This isn't possible, at least for me, for two reasons:

1. I work for a global company with global employees. I spend hours a week on international calls. We all have to be as considerate as is practical with time zones, but there's going to be times I'm on a 9:00 PM call simply because it's the only time we can have both San Francisco and Hong Kong on the same call.

2. My employer is paying for my phone and my unlimited data/international roaming plan, with the reasonable expectation that if they call, I answer. They get it's not practical to expect me to answer at 2:00 AM on a Saturday, but I should answer when I'm awake. Also, given my travel profile, someone calling me at what they think is 2:00 PM in Boston may not realize I'm in Tel Aviv at the moment and it's really 9:00 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts