Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
And to be honest I’m not sure what working at a university has to do with my feelings on this. A 2nd grade public school teacher is a bit different than a university professor. But anyways.
0101100101000101101 :: processing :: "Wrong. A professor is not an elementary school teacher.".

Yeesh, a little bit of nuance and abstraction ...please.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 07-15-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 12:03 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The majority of students do not have parents paying. As I noted - only 32% of college students said they experience no housing or food insecurity. Only a fraction of those students have parents paying. Students who would have difficulty completing coursework due to difficulties at home are likely relying on loans, grants, and/or scholarships.

And every family is different. I have a few coworkers who are happily paying or subsidizing their students' dorms or off-campus apartments because it's difficult for everyone to focus on their work at home. Many students had already signed leases and would be on the hook either way.
I know of one family with two at UMass Amherst and paying for apartments near campus while the kids are home this month.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:16 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I know of one family with two at UMass Amherst and paying for apartments near campus while the kids are home this month.
Through third parties, yes. If utilizing on-campus housing, the costs have been removed (to my knowledge).

This said, I'm aware of some out-of-state students who signed leases through their school (via third party vendor relationships), and these for-profit vendors are not releasing the contracts ... this is after the school assured students the campus would be open this fall only to revise back to online learning. These are typically smaller colleges which lack infrastructure or demand for on-campus housing.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
One slight critique about some of these crowded beach photos... I do think some of them are misleading. Those WJAR photos that redplum linked to were taken with a telephoto lens which compresses space to make everything in the frame look a lot closer together than it really is.
While that may be true, the Governor of RI is taking this very seriously. Starting tomorrow, parking at Misquamicut and Scarborough will be reduced to 25% capacity.

RI reduces parking at Misquamicut, Scarborough state beaches

Old 07-15-2020, 01:32 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Good interview of Fauci yesterday by Dean of Stanford Med school - worth a read/listen

Anthony Fauci discusses challenges of COVID-19, reasons for hope during Stanford Medicine event | News Center | Stanford Medicine

Old 07-15-2020, 02:38 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Through third parties, yes. If utilizing on-campus housing, the costs have been removed (to my knowledge).

This said, I'm aware of some out-of-state students who signed leases through their school (via third party vendor relationships), and these for-profit vendors are not releasing the contracts ... this is after the school assured students the campus would be open this fall only to revise back to online learning. These are typically smaller colleges which lack infrastructure or demand for on-campus housing.

Why would the costs for on-campus housing be removed?

Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Good interview of Fauci yesterday by Dean of Stanford Med school - worth a read/listen

Anthony Fauci discusses challenges of COVID-19, reasons for hope during Stanford Medicine event | News Center | Stanford Medicine
It is always a pleasure to switch to reading or listening to the thoughts and opinions of well educated men like Fauci every once in a while. This published interview is reminiscent of literature I used to review back in graduate school. Notice the calm tone of his voice in his responses, which are very articulated and well thought out. Even when he gives an opinion he backs it with statements rather than just spewing out rhetoric. I really wish more Americans would give him a chance to properly explain his logical deductions about the coronavirus than quickly dismiss the man.

Old 07-15-2020, 03:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It is always a pleasure to switch to reading or listening to the thoughts and opinions of well educated men like Fauci every once in a while. This published interview is reminiscent of literature I used to review back in graduate school. Notice the calm tone of his voice in his responses, which are very articulated and well thought out. Even when he gives an opinion he backs it with statements rather than just spewing out rhetoric. I really wish more Americans would give him a chance to properly explain his logical deductions about the coronavirus than quickly dismiss the man.
I agree fully, and I think he's proven to be a true American hero. The people who criticize him for incorrect or inconsistent statements in the past, do not understand math or science IMO. Can you imagine navigating the past 4 months without his expertise? Lord help us the next 4 months...as they've managed to muzzle him and the CDC (with case data going directly to HHS now).

Old 07-15-2020, 05:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
While that may be true, the Governor of RI is taking this very seriously. Starting tomorrow, parking at Misquamicut and Scarborough will be reduced to 25% capacity.

RI reduces parking at Misquamicut, Scarborough state beaches
Good for them, the numbers aren’t awful yet, but they’re starting to trend the wrong way. I hope all states are as vigilant.

Old 07-15-2020, 05:51 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Good for them, the numbers aren’t awful yet, but they’re starting to trend the wrong way. I hope all states are as vigilant.
I think Monday was just an outlier. MA was the same way. Even then, the trend still looks like flat but not decreasing. A bit noisy.

Monday would be when people who thought they caught it over the 4th would have been tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts