Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:32 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I keep getting articles on my Facebook feed about how this pandemic is shaping the future of corporate jobs--namely by creating shorter days and/or shorter work weeks. Has anybody experienced either shorter days or shorter work weeks? I am one of millions who is now working from home, but my day is certainly longer and fuller than ever (and we all took a pay cut as well).

I chose the company I work for because I wanted more work/life balance. Before this pandemic, late nights were rare and it was not expected that we would check email after work hours. Now we are four months in and not only are we expected to work at times when we would formerly be commuting, but there are many late nights because the work does not just stop at a certain time. In my circle of working mom friends, we are all experiencing similar situations at different companies. So I'm just curious of there is a large group of people that is experiencing the opposite--shorter days, shorter weeks, fewer meetings, more work/life balance? I left my hectic agency life to create more balance for myself, but this pandemic has made me feel like I'm back in a constantly-connected culture.

My workdays are WAY longer now. I'm in meetings starting by 8 AM, meetings all day and into the night, most days ending by around 7 or 8 PM. Emailing and work chats continue until midnight. Some nights I just have to turn off the phone, because it is so crazy and exhausting.

No one is commuting or has much of a social life going on, so it's easy to just allow meetings and work to bleed more and more into evenings and weekends. We are also in the middle of a huge platform release and have aggressive milestones that we need to meet each month, so we don't have enough time in the day, even with all the extended hours.

Yep, I'm pretty freaking tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 05:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Mine have stayed the same. The job I had before this one was pretty grueling. So this One has felt like a relief even when it’s busy.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:01 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Mar-June we were busy. I was definitely putting in a longer day. Now we are back to “normal” workload.

My day is spread out now. I still work roughly an 8hr day, but it’s more spread out. Few hours in the AM, few hours after lunch, few hours in the evening on some nights and a few hours on the weekend if needed. I try to keep it to around 40hrs, but it’s no longer a 9-5. M-F work schedule.

PTO use has been minimal. I’ve had to remind a few employees to take PTO as they are starting to hit their max accrual. I myself have a ton of PTO hours to use up. I plan on it.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I chose the company I work for because I wanted more work/life balance. Before this pandemic, late nights were rare and it was not expected that we would check email after work hours. Now we are four months in and not only are we expected to work at times when we would formerly be commuting, but there are many late nights because the work does not just stop at a certain time. In my circle of working mom friends, we are all experiencing similar situations at different companies. So I'm just curious of there is a large group of people that is experiencing the opposite--shorter days, shorter weeks, fewer meetings, more work/life balance? I left my hectic agency life to create more balance for myself, but this pandemic has made me feel like I'm back in a constantly-connected culture.
Welcome to remote working. There are definite downsides and it’s not for everyone. There is unquestionably more flexibility and freedom but it comes with a steep price. I can work from anywhere and have broad autonomy. However, I am never really completely unplugged other than maybe a week or so a year. It is draining (and I don’t have a traditional boss).

Old 07-16-2020, 06:33 PM

I think you have to draw the line somewhere. If you are responding to emails at 9pm then you’re kind of saying, hey it’s ok to email late at night and I’ll answer. I just try to keep work between the hours of 9 and 6.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
In that case, you need to be always on during your working hours. I have employees who are, and that’s fine. However, for the ones who disappear for a few hours here and there (also fine), they better not balk when a client or colleague needs them outside of normal working hours. My experience both during and prior to this pandemic is that many remote workers push the flexibility boundary more and more over time.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:03 PM

I am available between 9 and 5. Maybe not always to get on a call but to answer emails/slacks yes.

I have started to hate zoom calls especially last minute ones. They’re fine if they camera isn’t ok but my boss always has his on which makes me feel like I need to put mine on. I have generally been wearing a t shirt but my boss still has on his button down collared shirts. He has more zoom
Calls than I do though. I tried to look nice in the beginning of all this but now that it’s summer I’ve been pretty casual.

Do people enjoy showing their face during zooms? Its fine at times but other times I’m like does this person really need to see my face?

Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I am available between 9 and 5. Maybe not always to get on a call but to answer emails/slacks yes.

I have started to hate zoom calls especially last minute ones. They’re fine if they camera isn’t ok but my boss always has his on which makes me feel like I need to put mine on. I have generally been wearing a t shirt but my boss still has on his button down collared shirts. He has more zoom
Calls than I do though. I tried to look nice in the beginning of all this but now that it’s summer I’ve been pretty casual.

Do people enjoy showing their face during zooms? Its fine at times but other times I’m like does this person really need to see my face?
We use MS Teams, and I usually don't turn on my camera. One of the (few) indulgences during this WFH has been skipping my morning shave every 1-2 days...so an impromptu video call would not be a good thing. Although the folks who study the effectiveness of virtual teams, say that being more casual helps to bring teams closer together.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:02 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Pretty much all interviews are on zoom or google at this point. Any people in offices are pretty much a skeleton crew.

The biggest issues I see are hvac work and in more urban areas elevator issues.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:15 AM

Yikes:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07..._medium=social
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts