Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 01:24 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Ive also heard a few MDs say they think they warmer weather will slow this virus down. We’ll just have to wait and see
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 01:31 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,040 times
I think it depends on the company.

What did your employer say when you said you can't get tested at this time?

Old 03-18-2020, 01:43 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If anyone that went on a hoarding streak of toilet paper in the face of this wants to lambast or keep out refugees fleeing war and famine, well, they can go straight to hell.
We should have done a Taiwan and met all inbound international flights with public health officials to screen everyone. Same for the border crossings with Mexico and Canuckistan. Doesn’t matter if you’re a CEO coming home from a business trip in the Gulfstream or a refugee. This playbook should have been set up under Obama and it should have kicked in automatically in January. If there’s ever a next time, the politicians should be lined up against the wall and shot if that isn’t how it’s handled.

If you make it a felony with mandatory jail time to hire an illegal, the problem goes away. We’re so dependent on that labor that we’d quickly adopt a rational visa policy. OT in this thread but illegals exist to be exploited by wealthy people since US workers are too expensive.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:50 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Depends on the company really.

I have close contact with someone who tested positive so they asked me to work from home for 2 weeks. They didn't ask me to get tested, but I was able to get a test done based on the close contact. Still don't have the results back. (been 3 days)

Coworker's g/f had symptoms and was able to get tested today in Waltham. Was then told up to 2 weeks to get results back. Coworker is starting to feel symptoms, so he is home.

Now the issue isn't getting a test...it's getting results back in a timely manner.

Once you are on the backside and recovering, you may not even test positive. At that point the only way to tell is through a blood test to look for antibodies. Good luck getting one of those.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:53 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Massachusetts seems like it has it under control to some extent. Louisiana and New Jersey have blown past Massachusetts over the last couple days (largest one day increase still last Wednesday) and Mass still doesn’t have a death.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Is there a good website showing US cases by state/region that tracks it in detail like Worldometers does for all countries?

Old 03-18-2020, 02:00 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Massachusetts seems like it has it under control to some extent. Louisiana and New Jersey have blown past Massachusetts over the last couple days (largest one day increase still last Wednesday) and Mass still doesn’t have a death.
Yes I have noticed that. I didn't want to say anything less I jinx it.

Quote:
There is nothing to support the idea that warmer weather will help. It's a fluid situation, but none of the experts are expecting this to be over any time soon.
Except that whole warmer weather countries seem to be quite low on the number of cases.

Brazil 372.
Greece 470
Saudi Arabia 238
New Zealand 20
Australia 500

And I didn't say it would be over. Just the curve would be flattened enough for people to be going back to work and not worrying about spreading it too much.

And we already have a drug that may help the most severe patients.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/rege...-symptoms.html

Old 03-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Except that whole warmer weather countries seem to be quite low on the number of cases.
This report came out a few days ago. There's a few versions floating around with various details

https://www.yahoo.com/news/enhanced-...175400988.html

Seems the virus loves regions currently in the 41-51 degree 47-79% humidity range.

That's the temp range we are currently moving through. However cases are popping up in warm/humid areas. I just got off a call with folks in Malaysia who currently tell me it's 90 degrees and humid there, and yet their cases just passed 700 and they gov't ordered a shutdown until April 1st.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:46 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This report came out a few days ago. There's a few versions floating around with various details

https://www.yahoo.com/news/enhanced-...175400988.html

Seems the virus loves regions currently in the 41-51 degree 47-79% humidity range.

That's the temp range we are currently moving through. However cases are popping up in warm/humid areas. I just got off a call with folks in Malaysia who currently tell me it's 90 degrees and humid there, and yet their cases just passed 700 and they gov't ordered a shutdown until April 1st.

Malaysia and Singapore also have large populations and very dense, crowded cities due to their tight geography. The virus can easily spread from person to person before dissipating in the air if it even has the chance to do so. I just read an article just now that crowds of Malaysians that work in Singapore are scurrying into the Lion City after their government ordered the shutdown for fear they would lose their jobs in Singapore. Some plan to stay with friends or relatives and others are likely going to just debunk somewhere in the already crowded city. I don't know what the Singaporean government had in mind to allow this but I do not like the situation playing out over there right now.

Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Florida has also surpassed Massachusetts.

So we dropped from 4 to 7 in total cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts