Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 04:51 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

On the NBC Nightly News, they showed some meatheads playing volleyball on the beach, and one of them said:

"If I get corona, then I get corona. It's not going to stop me from partying."

^ This is what we're dealing with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 04:56 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
On the NBC Nightly News, they showed some meatheads playing volleyball on the beach, and one of them said:

"If I get corona, then I get corona. It's not going to stop me from partying."

^ This is what we're dealing with.
Yep.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:07 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But if we don't have any deaths yet... that seems kind of impressive and seems to suggest we couldn't have that many infections... unless they are lying about the deaths. The first diagnosed MA case was February 1.
We don’t have any known deaths. There are a few deaths I know of where they have been tested post-mortem and are awaiting results.

Doesn’t mean the will be positive.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:44 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Hope this is true

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...rce=whatfinger

Early trials have shown that a Japanese flu drug is effective in treating the coronavirus, according to reports on Wednesday.

Medical authorities in China said they tested the antiviral drug favipiravir on 340 patients and found it reduces recovery time and improves the lung condition of patients, according to the Guardian.

Patients who tested positive for the coronavirus in both Wuhan and Shenzhen tested negative after a median of four days, compared to 11 days with patients who didn’t take the drug.

“It has a high degree of safety and is clearly effective in treatment,” a Chinese official told reporters on Tuesday.

Ninety-one percent of patients experienced improved lung conditions, compared to 62% who didn’t take the drug, according to researchers.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:45 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Is there a good website showing US cases by state/region that tracks it in detail like Worldometers does for all countries?
The Johns Hopkins map is the gold standard, from what I understand:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Old 03-18-2020, 06:04 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Wow 2 weeks to get results back for this? Pap smear results are back quicker than that. My daughter had an mri of her brain when she was 3 weeks old and we had results the next day. This is where it’s hard to make sense of the healthcare system.

How do people feel about trump calling this the Chinese virus? It never occurred to me to call it that since it’s called coronavirus. A reporter questioned why he kept calling it Chinese virus and said it was racist. He was like, it comes from China. I don’t recall anyone being upset about Spanish flu. No one wants to point fingers at anyone here and it seems defeating the virus is the goal... but trump does raise a good point in that China took their time in alerting the rest of the world about this. It originated in China and it’s certainly made a huge mess for the world.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
The official White House defense of labeling it ‘Chinese’ coronavirus

Old 03-18-2020, 06:36 PM

So, very likely what I had over new years was coronavirus. Just saying.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...0fbfda15ff4a68

Undetected infections may have driven "rapid dissemination" of coronavirus, modeling shows
From CNN’s Arman Azad

Mild, asymptomatic or otherwise unrecognized infections may have driven the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus in the outbreak’s earliest days, according to modeling published Monday in the journal Science.

The research, based on reported cases in China and travel data, estimated that 86% of coronavirus infections in the country were “undocumented” in the weeks before officials instituted stringent quarantines.

Undocumented infections, according to the researchers, can go unrecognized because they come with mild or no symptoms, and that “can expose a far greater portion of the population to virus than would otherwise occur.”

These undetected cases, which are often less severe, were estimated to be about half as contagious as confirmed cases. But because undetected cases were more common, they could have played an outsize role in spreading the virus, the study said.

About 4 in 5 people confirmed to have coronavirus, for example, were likely infected by people who didn’t know they had it, according to the modeling.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Is there a good website showing US cases by state/region that tracks it in detail like Worldometers does for all countries?
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Saw this in another thread. You may need to scroll down.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The Johns Hopkins map is the gold standard, from what I understand:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
It was, now it's falling behind. There are 99 cases in NC and ny just reported 1200 new cases today. So, threr's mkore of a lag now that testing is starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts