Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2021, 11:14 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

About 200 UMass Amherst students face suspension for attending party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 11:36 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD123 View Post
I think the issue is that the unvaccinated people from multiple households can infect each other.
The issue is, as stated by Irfox, a vaccinated individual can still carry the virus while being completely unaware. The CDC is effectively stating "Please don't be an unintentional super spreader".

I've been seeing my vaccinated family/friends knowing they could be potential carriers, but given the mutual risk profiles I'm not too concerned. I'd still prefer pharma induced immunity over the natural route.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
The issue is, as stated by Irfox, a vaccinated individual can still carry the virus while being completely unaware. The CDC is effectively stating "Please don't be an unintentional super spreader".
But, again, it's ok to potentially infect one household?

Old 03-09-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There’s plenty of practical reasons why one might visit a single household. The CDC presumably realizes this.

Old 03-09-2021, 05:55 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
This is based on practicality Vs probability of compliance Vs risk

Old 03-09-2021, 06:22 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I don't think there's really definitive information yet on whether or not vaccinated people, even after they've had 2 shots and their immune system has fully responded, can still acquire the infection sufficiently to transmit it. And while people tend to prefer simple black and white answers - yes/no, it may turn out that e.g. most vaccinated people can't transmit the disease, but some can - that there's a patient dependence; or that it depends on the variant of the virus involved; or that it depends on the vaccine that was used.... or all 3 of these may be influential factors - there's a lot going on here.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:32 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't think there's really definitive information yet on whether or not vaccinated people, even after they've had 2 shots and their immune system has fully responded, can still acquire the infection sufficiently to transmit it. And while people tend to prefer simple black and white answers - yes/no, it may turn out that e.g. most vaccinated people can't transmit the disease, but some can - that there's a patient dependence; or that it depends on the variant of the virus involved; or that it depends on the vaccine that was used.... or all 3 of these may be influential factors - there's a lot going on here.
It's not 100% protection even with the mRNA ones. It's close, and you are pretty much not going to get sick. But it's not 100%.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
There’s plenty of practical reasons why one might visit a single household. The CDC presumably realizes this.
It's not just visiting; it's visiting "indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing".

Old 03-09-2021, 06:54 AM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think the CDC guidance here is (once again) politically driven more so than science driven and a bit premature given all the variants, different vaccines etc. But I think they want to encourage people getting the vaccine, even if it's just out of concern for their own convenience.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
It's not just visiting; it's visiting "indoors without wearing masks or physical distancing".
As already stated, it's about risk profiles and acknowledging human behavior. People have mask fatigue and if they correctly assume they are protected, they're going to want to ditch the mask. The CDC, which I acknowledge has had some messaging problems, is asking individuals manage their risk while society hopefully begins to normalize.

You may wish to live indefinitely as 'bubble boy', but the bulk of society wants to move on ASAP. CDC is trying to temper that enthusiasm, but also leave room for what once was normal social behavior.

For the first time in my son's life he was able to see his Great Grandparents face, smile, interact meaningfully. People value these interactions. My risk profile is very different from my 86 YO grandmother ... limited interactions shouldn’t drive up hospitalization/fatality numbers now that the high risk populations are being vaccinated.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-09-2021 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts