Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 09:54 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of teachers personally (due to wife and family) and i'm not joking when I say it's a behind the scenes ****show trying to figure out everything in time to return to school full time. Every school system was doing something different so trying to get "back to normal" has been a challenge. There's no real guidance coming from the top other than "get back in class".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 10:34 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Still think it's irresponsible to lift indoor dining restrictions, when we have only ~20% who have been partially vaccinated! Hope we don't see another resurgence.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/03/...ng-rise-cases/

Old 03-06-2021, 11:20 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Still think it's irresponsible to lift indoor dining restrictions, when we have only ~20% who have been partially vaccinated! Hope we don't see another resurgence.

People shouldn't imagine that the pandemic is over, even if the trend is good now, and the vaccination program is making progress. There are a number of scenarios under which things get significantly worse - chiefly from abandoning public health measures and the rise of Covid-19 viral variants which are less susceptible to the current vaccines. It's good to patronize restaurants, but better to do that by ordering takeout.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:04 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

It is completely incomprehensible to me to risk another wave so close to widespread vaccination. Especially as outdoor dining season is about to become a reality again (60s next week). With spring break travel and widespread elimination of covid restrictions, I don't see how we can avoid fueling a resurgence (from a pretty high plateau to begin with).

Old 03-06-2021, 01:18 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
There are loads of people who still haven't been vaccinated yet. I guess the good thing is many if not most of the higher risk people are.

My dad lost a college friend to covid this week. He was 75.

Old 03-06-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are loads of people who still haven't been vaccinated yet. I guess the good thing is many if not most of the higher risk people are.

My dad lost a college friend to covid this week. He was 75.
Well - RI still hasn't even *started* high-risk people under 65 yet (except in a few high density communities). And conditions like obesity and high blood pressure are not included under their definition of high risk. So while another wave of infections may not lead to another huge wave of deaths, it will likely still lead to a lot of hospitalizations and long-term complications (including likely a shortened life span in the long-run - which our governors surely are not considering in the trade-off). Also - with the US wide open (when did MA last have no occupancy limits in restaurants, say?), and the variants taking off, who knows, really (look at Brazil right now!). It is also particularly cruel to catch covid and risk death or disability just a month or two before you could be protected - just so that people can eat and drink indoors when it's 60 outside.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
It is completely incomprehensible to me to risk another wave so close to widespread vaccination. Especially as outdoor dining season is about to become a reality again (60s next week). With spring break travel and widespread elimination of covid restrictions, I don't see how we can avoid fueling a resurgence (from a pretty high plateau to begin with).
You have to add that there's a half million MA residents who have tested positive and have some amount of immunity plus an unknown amount of people who never got tested. It's only going to get tougher for it to spread unless a variant pops up that can break through that.

Now wiping it out completely is going to take some work.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:50 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Covid was basically non existent last summer if I recall? I mean it was there but cases were very low. I'm guess will have the same kind of summer but even better since more people will be getting vaccinated. I still don't know about large venues or groups of people being packed in one place (trains, buses, bars, restaurants) but I do think it will be a better summer than the last one.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
You have to add that there's a half million MA residents who have tested positive and have some amount of immunity plus an unknown amount of people who never got tested. It's only going to get tougher for it to spread unless a variant pops up that can break through that.

Now wiping it out completely is going to take some work.
Hmm, the Brazil variant already breaks through prior infection...the South African also does, to some extent.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:33 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Hmm, the Brazil variant already breaks through prior infection...the South African also does, to some extent.
I suspect that one of both of those was the cause of the second wave. Another variant is definitely possible though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts