Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 07:02 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
It's not 100% protection even with the mRNA ones. It's close, and you are pretty much not going to get sick. But it's not 100%.
Here's a news article in Nature that discusses the issue. It's a difficult thing to study and get definitive answers on, and there a number of influential factors to consider.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00450-z

Hopefully by summer we'll get a clearer picture of how well and under what settings of influential variables, transmission is prevented. I think most public health people will for now come down with a recommendation urging that people still exercise caution - that's the conservative way to play this, and it's a big problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
As already stated, it's about risk profiles and acknowledging human behavior. People have mask fatigue and if they correctly assume they are protected, they're going to want to ditch the mask. The CDC, which I acknowledge has had some messaging problems, is asking individuals manage their risk while society hopefully begins to normalize.

You may wish to live indefinitely as 'bubble boy', but the bulk of society wants to move on ASAP. CDC is trying to temper that enthusiasm, but also leave room for what once was normal social behavior.

For the first time in my son's life he was able to see his Great Grandparents face, smile, interact meaningfully. People value these interactions. My risk profile is very different from my 86 YO grandmother.
There are a fair number of people who have never accepted public health guidance in the first place, and there is also mask/distancing fatigue out there among some people who have accepted them.

I don't dispute that masks and social distancing work, and I do try to conscientiously follow public health guidelines. But that doesn't mean I enjoy it. If I am out in public, I wear my mask, but if no one is within 100 feet on the street or sidewalk, I don't have it sealed over nose and mouth - I want to enjoy some fresh air. If people come into proximity though, then I seal it over nose and mouth to comply with the spirit of current guidelines.

My Dad is 94 and is in a senior living facility in NJ. I haven't seen him in 6 months and he is declining. But they haven't been taking visitors there. He's been vaccinated twice recently, and I hope that they relax the restrictions soon. I'll certainly take my vaccine as soon as I am eligible and able to get it.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:24 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Easter is April 4th...anyone doing their normal Easter gathering or just immediate household?

Old 03-09-2021, 08:19 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
As already stated, it's about risk profiles and acknowledging human behavior. People have mask fatigue and if they correctly assume they are protected, they're going to want to ditch the mask. The CDC, which I acknowledge has had some messaging problems, is asking individuals manage their risk while society hopefully begins to normalize.

You may wish to live indefinitely as 'bubble boy', but the bulk of society wants to move on ASAP. CDC is trying to temper that enthusiasm, but also leave room for what once was normal social behavior.

For the first time in my son's life he was able to see his Great Grandparents face, smile, interact meaningfully. People value these interactions. My risk profile is very different from my 86 YO grandmother ... limited interactions shouldn’t drive up hospitalization/fatality numbers now that the high risk populations are being vaccinated.

"The CDC has released highly anticipated new guidelines for people fully vaccinated against Covid-19, saying it is safe for them to gather together without masks indoors and to visit with unvaccinated people in certain circumstances. The new guidance was met with joy and renewed hope that a return to normalcy is around the corner. However, ex-CDC chief Dr. Tom Frieden cautioned that we shouldn't give up on safety measures yet, saying, "You don't declare victory in the third quarter." WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus gave a similar worldwide warning, saying, "There are no shortcuts" to recovery. After all, one coronavirus variant is now spreading exponentially through the US, experts say."

Source: CNN 5 Things newsletter for March 9

“We have come so far, we have suffered so much, and we have lost so many. We cannot -- we must not -- squander the progress we have made.” - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

Old 03-09-2021, 08:29 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
"The CDC has released highly anticipated new guidelines for people fully vaccinated against Covid-19, saying it is safe for them to gather together without masks indoors and to visit with unvaccinated people in certain circumstances. The new guidance was met with joy and renewed hope that a return to normalcy is around the corner. However, ex-CDC chief Dr. Tom Frieden cautioned that we shouldn't give up on safety measures yet, saying, "You don't declare victory in the third quarter." WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus gave a similar worldwide warning, saying, "There are no shortcuts" to recovery. After all, one coronavirus variant is now spreading exponentially through the US, experts say."

Source: CNN 5 Things newsletter for March 9

“We have come so far, we have suffered so much, and we have lost so many. We cannot -- we must not -- squander the progress we have made.” - Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus
IFR by age.

0.002% at age 10
0.01% at age 25
0.4% at age 55
1.4% at age 65
4.6% at age 75
15% at age 85.

If the bulk of high risk comorbidities and 65+ are vaccinated, the pressures on our healthcare system drop dramatically, thus the easing. A small minority of low risk demographics may end up hospitalized, but not likely not dead.

The risk has changed and will continue to lessen, disruptive variants being a known-unknown potential setback.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Easter is April 4th...anyone doing their normal Easter gathering or just immediate household?
Good question.

I'm the only person in my family who has not been vaccinated yet. Easter isn't a big holiday for us (wife and I are not religious) so it could go either way really. There's been Easters in the past where we've done nothing due to work schedules. I wouldn't mind a large family meal though...

Old 03-09-2021, 09:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
IFR by age.

0.002% at age 10
0.01% at age 25
0.4% at age 55
1.4% at age 65
4.6% at age 75
15% at age 85.

If the bulk of high risk comorbidities and 65+ are vaccinated, the pressures on our healthcare system drop dramatically, thus the easing. A small minority of low risk demographics may end up hospitalized, but not likely not dead.

The risk has changed and will continue to lessen, disruptive variants being a known-unknown potential setback.

I'm not convinced that body count is the right way to do this. Something like 1/3 of non-hospitalized COVID survivors have long haul symptoms. We have insufficient data as to if and when these symptoms go away. I'd rather not have years of brain fog or fatigue.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm not convinced that body count is the right way to do this. Something like 1/3 of non-hospitalized COVID survivors have long haul symptoms. We have insufficient data as to if and when these symptoms go away. I'd rather not have years of brain fog or fatigue.
I kinda agree. My 61-year old MIL is exactly 1 year from her first case (of two separate cases) of Covid and still has lingering symptoms. Brain fog is one of them, along with lingering breathlessness at times

------------------

Women reported worse side effects from the COVID-19 vaccine than men, CDC study shows
https://www.businessinsider.in/scien...w/81403760.cms

My wife just got the J&J vaccine yesterday, and she is currently in bed with all the symptoms described in the article.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:33 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I agree at a individual level. I have no plans to significantly increase exposure prior to being vaccinated.

At a policy level, I think it’s clear the primary drivers are economic recovery and hospital capacity. At some point individuals need to assess they’re own risk tolerance, but only after the most vulnerable have had an opportunity to be vaccinated.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-09-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 09:49 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'm waiting to see family. At this point a few months isn't going to be that bad. Went to see a movie over the weekend. They only allowed a handful in and spaced way out. I'm probably going to a wedding in sept numbers should be well below 100 and we should all be vaccinated fully then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts