Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:47 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

First death in CT today. An elderly man who had been in assisted living. This happened down in the part of CT that's adjacent to NYC, that's where most of the cases are coming from in CT. NYC is a real hot spot for this disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 09:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
We’ve also got vCJD that supposedly came from eating beef with Mad cow disease thanks to our friends from the UK. luckily it’s rare. Then you’ve got all these avian/bird flus as well. vegetarian might very well be the way to go, but then you’ve got to worry about the pesticide aspect of that.
Amen. Worried about pesticides? go organic...

Old 03-18-2020, 09:55 PM

295 posts, read 317,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Brains to be specific. Brits eat some weird shizzle, too.
Blood sausage made from pork blood is a definite no for me, but I do love fish and chips with the malt and vinegar.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:58 PM

295 posts, read 317,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The problem with going organic is the level of trust I have in it actually being so. We get organic strawberries all the time but the size of them in packages look identical to the non organic ones. sometimes the organic ones are bigger than non?? And then the local farmer’s market sell organic strawberries that are half that size....

not sure if anyone else is doing this due to the coronavirus, but I’ve been eating extra Vitamin c gummies recently hoping to boost the immune system just that little bit more.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:06 PM

17,720 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It went from a bat to another animal that is apparently unknown at this time to people. I’m sorry but people in China eat some weird ass things that they shouldn’t be eating and they don’t seem to have the most hygenic lifestyle the way they live on top of each other. Maybe they’ll change their ways.
Quote:
Sorry but this is an ethnocentric comment, big-time. I'm a lifelong vegetarian...it's like me asking all you guys to stop eating meat because of all the salmonella / e.coli outbreaks that have been associated with that industry. In other words, I don't distinguish between eating a bat vs. eating a cow...it's ethically all the same to me, but I can't impose my standards on the rest of the world.

htfdcolt, you may not see the distinction but others do. It's a health issue.

China has made eating wild animals illegal after the coronavirus outbreak. But ending the trade won't be easy

Old 03-18-2020, 10:19 PM

17,720 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
How do people feel about trump calling this the Chinese virus? It never occurred to me to call it that since it’s called coronavirus. A reporter questioned why he kept calling it Chinese virus and said it was racist. He was like, it comes from China. I don’t recall anyone being upset about Spanish flu. No one wants to point fingers at anyone here and it seems defeating the virus is the goal... but trump does raise a good point in that China took their time in alerting the rest of the world about this. It originated in China and it’s certainly made a huge mess for the world.

China apparently does.

"Chinese officials have recently sought to shift the blame for the origin and spread of the coronavirus.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian has suggested on Twitter that the U.S. is responsible for the outbreak of coronavirus, with his messages shared and retweeted by other Chinese diplomats.

“When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected? What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!” Zhao tweeted last week.

His comments drew a swift rebuke from the State Department, and the agency summoned China's ambassador to the U.S., Cui Tiankai, to say the U.S. would not tolerate the spreading of conspiracy theories."

Source: Pompeo warns China against spreading 'outlandish rumors' about coronavirus

https://twitter.com/zlj517/status/1238111898828066823

Old 03-19-2020, 03:11 AM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
Quote:
Ive also heard a few MDs say they think they warmer weather will slow this virus down. We’ll just have to wait and see
If validated ,Global Warming with hotter, warmer,year round temperatures kinda seemed to have some benefits.
Global Warming in the past tense as that issue is the least of importance now.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:53 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Organic doesn't mean there aren't pesticides.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...l-agriculture/

It just means that the pesticides they use are of a natural origin. Don't fall for the myth that natural=healthy and synthesized=poison.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:05 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
I read swine flu originated in mexico. Ebola came from Africa, SARS originated in China, bird flu came from China.

I guess the US is supposed to just remain PC and empathetic to everyone and find a cure for all these illnesses inflicted upon us by other countries. Trump seems to think China should be punished.
I agree with the bold text, even though I suspect it is sarcastic. Assigning blame has zero use. Finding a cure and, until then, mitigation, is the only thing we should be focused on. And to be sure, this wasn't inflicted on us by China. Sure they bungled their initial response in part because they are a totalitarian state, but they didn't do it on purpose to make other countries sick.

Trump has thought China should be punished for going on four years now.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Complete BS that US soldiers brought this to China. It’s the people of China who eat the weird animals that they don’t clean properly. The US soldiers are likely eating ramen noodles. Ridiculous.

I looked at my 401k this morning and can’t believe it. now ill spend the day working from home and entertaining my 3 and 5 yr old at the same time. Good times.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-19-2020 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts