Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So many people on here with their elitist attitudes. Calling people dumb for not wanting to go out to eat when there’s a pandemic going on. Okey....

What really is the point of social distance if you have no problem eating food prepared by a stranger? You don’t know who else touched the food either.
It's not dumb to avoid going out to eat because there's a pandemic. It's dumb to avoid a certain type of ethnic food because you think it somehow impacts the likelihood that you'll catch the virus. Big and very, very obvious difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 12:00 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I wouldn’t call it dumb to avoid a Chinese restaurant right now.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

Let us not ask Grandma to die for the DOW.

I don't think anyone wants to sacrifice their grandma for the DOW. But sacrifice your grandma? Might be a different story. I think that's what we see when people say "people die every day, so why shut down the economy".

------

Either way, a sliver of hope. I've been looking at various curves as well, but I don't yet agree with him 100% on the US cases slowing. I think we need more data for another week or so before we can make that determination. I will say, I did expect the trend to actually accelerate faster than what we have seen.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/coro...aureate-claims

Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
I don’t know of any Irish restaurants other than the corrib in west Roxbury. Are you saying everybody in Southie is Irish? Lol. The parade was cancelled you know that right?

Yes I’m sure there are people avoiding Chinese restaurants right now because they fear someone working there recently was in China. If you read my other posts you’d see that I’m not going to any restaurants at all.

There are quite a few of Irish restaurants here in Marlborough. I can think of 4 or 5 in the immediate area.

I don't think everyone in Southie is Irish but I think it's FAR more likely that a young bartender or waiter at a pub was exposed to coronavirus in Southie than the same person at a Chinese restaurant was in China.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM

It seems like it’s high level executives who are the ones getting this around here. Not 20 somethings hanging out at bars in Southie.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It seems like it’s high level executives who are the ones getting this around here. Not 20 somethings hanging out at bars in Southie.

That's not my experience based on people I know or know secondhand who currently have coronavirus (or, more likely, presumed but can't get a test). That was true at the beginning of the month, not now. Right now, the highest at risk are healthcare workers, many of whom are young.

There are tens of thousands of people with coronavirus in the state right now based on conservative guesses. The executives tend to be older, so they'll be the ones who make the press as they are more likely to die.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM

I don’t know anyone who has it. Hopefully it stays that way but it’s not looking good.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's not my experience based on people I know or know secondhand who currently have coronavirus (or, more likely, presumed but can't get a test). That was true at the beginning of the month, not now. Right now, the highest at risk are healthcare workers, many of whom are young.

There are tens of thousands of people with coronavirus in the state right now based on conservative guesses. The executives tend to be older, so they'll be the ones who make the press as they are more likely to die.
The positive rate is about 10%, so it's possible many of those presumed cases may be something else.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
The positive rate is about 10%, so it's possible many of those presumed cases may be something else.

I know 3 or 4 people in my immediate circle, including - terrifyingly - a coworker who I sat near at multiple coronavirus taskforce meetings as soon as 13 days ago - who live with someone who is positive but are not able to get tests themselves.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
So I got Chinese takeout 2 weeks ago, and I'm munching on some genoa salami as we speak. I hope I'm "woke" enough for y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts