Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 09:28 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Or...he could have been infected let's say 8 days after the first shot. They say shot #1 has an 80% effectiveness after 14 days, but not sure if they have data on the effectiveness after day #1, day #4, day #7, etc. I imagine it's tough to get a good sample of those infected 1-14 days after either shot.
I know what you are saying - but the guardian article/UK Sage study says few developed symptoms more than 14 days after the first shot - so few would have been infected several days prior to those 14 days (they tracked onset of symptoms, not day of infection). At any rate, we are overanalyzing this one case - but it will be interesting to see what variant it is. I certainly hope that they are sequencing those developing symptoms a couple of weeks after vaccination (it's a good sign that they did it after this case)! We need all the data we can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 05:19 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Do you think he got it at the vaccine place?
Anything is possible, however many vaccine sites are requiring the addition of a 2nd mass upon entry and taking other precautions. The likelihood vaccine sites are super spreaders is far fetched.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:44 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Luckily it doesn't affect any doses already distributed as those were made in The Netherlands. This is a new plant.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Anything is possible, however many vaccine sites are requiring the addition of a 2nd mass upon entry and taking other precautions. The likelihood vaccine sites are super spreaders is far fetched.

The transmission rate when everyone is wearing a mask is really low. The staff actually doing the jabs are typically wearing gloves and a shield. Everywhere else, there is separation. Unlikely you'd get the viral load to become infected.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:00 AM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Luckily it doesn't affect any doses already distributed as those were made in The Netherlands. This is a new plant.
Well that's good.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:05 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The likelihood vaccine sites are super spreaders is far fetched.
Yup, but it makes a great scaremongering story. I would have more concerns about going to my local supermarket.

Old 04-01-2021, 06:19 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
We got ours as caregivers/drivers - info. in the link if interested. Minor localized numbness, like after a tetanus boost, no other symptoms for any of us - second dose to come.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...e%20same%20day.

Incidentally, we were also able to set up doses for five 70+ year olds by jumping on CVS when doses are released. I have been to 2 mass sites and 3 CVS's with people at this stage = all very well run.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:49 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's definitely concerning, but given the timeline it probably wasn't enough for the FIRST shot to make its way around before infected. It sounds like this person wasn't taking the greatest precautions to begin with, and likely let his guard down even more after getting that single shot. Had he CAUGHT it 14+ days after the 2nd shot, then that would be far more telling. But then again, it could have been one of the 10% where it wasn't effective.
The other thing is, you are not automatically protected after a shot. Doesn't it take two weeks for your immune system to fully kick in? The directives that I have heard and read are that you can't consider yourself fully vaccinated until two weeks after you've gotten the second shot. So, using that logic, I would assume that you don't get the 50-70% protection of that first shot immediately either.

So, in other words, if you get shot #1 and then go out to dinner and whatever that night, or over the next couple of days, your protection hasn't really kicked in much yet at that point, so you're still pretty vulnerable.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
For everyone freaking out about the variants, this is worth reading. It looks like Pfizer highly effective against B.1.351. These vaccines are good. Get them and move forward with your life.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...frican-variant

Old 04-01-2021, 01:38 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Yup, but it makes a great scaremongering story. I would have more concerns about going to my local supermarket.
The UK Sage report/guardian article I linked to a few days ago found quite a few people testing positive with a median of 5 days after vaccination and suggested that the elderly and vulnerable who had been shielding for the past year may have been exposed at the vaccination events (or relaxed their behavior immediately). And by the way - cvs, Walgreens, Walmart etc. which are vaccinating also have shoppers present during vaccination events, increasing exposure. Obviously, it's very difficult to trace cases to vaccination events or supermarkets or ... in an area with high community transmission. Until or unless we actually have a superspreader event officially connected to a vaccination event, this issue will continue to get little attention in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts