Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 11:54 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Buddy. The Spanish Flu saw restrictions that were in many cases MORE severe than the current loss of freedoms during Covid. There were similar shutdowns of businesses and churches (that went on for longer), but also fines and ARRESTS for people not complying with mask requirements. Entire cities were quarantined. World War II, same thing. HUGE disruptions of day to day life. Travel restrictions were put in place. Businesses ordered shut. Government controlling various industries to include food production. Anybody who says anything going on now is anyway unprecedented, has no idea what they are talking about.
The difference is my opinion that the Spanish flu was bad enough to take measures in comparison what we have today is no worse then the regular flu. I believe the numbers are dramatically inflated the regular flu seemed to disappear this year because the symptoms are the same as covid. they labeled the regular flu as covid. I am not the only one that believes this but a large population.

so in proportion what they did with Spanish flu was justified where the seriousness from the covid 19 virus was way overblown. its not that I did not not know they had these restrictions in 1918 its that what they are doing now with lockdowns was not needed. we should of just isolated the elderly. this is not a problem with history knowledge as a difference of opinion on whether what we did with covid was necessary. Florida should have way more deaths but this is not the case.

all of sports was not shut down either like we did for a period of time like with covid 19. lets just say the numbers are real with covid deaths it pales in comparison to the deaths of Spanish flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 12:24 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The difference is my opinion that the Spanish flu was bad enough to take measures in comparison what we have today is no worse then the regular flu. I believe the numbers are dramatically inflated the regular flu seemed to disappear this year because the symptoms are the same as covid. they labeled the regular flu as covid. I am not the only one that believes this but a large population.

so in proportion what they did with Spanish flu was justified where the seriousness from the covid 19 virus was way overblown. its not that I did not not know they had these restrictions in 1918 its that what they are doing now with lockdowns was not needed. we should of just isolated the elderly. this is not a problem with history knowledge as a difference of opinion on whether what we did with covid was necessary. Florida should have way more deaths but this is not the case.

all of sports was not shut down either like we did for a period of time like with covid 19. lets just say the numbers are real with covid deaths it pales in comparison to the deaths of Spanish flu.
That's not what you said before. But now that you are backtracking, I WOULD like to know where you are obtaining data in support of these very questionable claims of yours.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:36 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Hopefully, these actions will be expedited, as one line that seems to be making the rounds is that these vaccines are "still experimental" and shouldn't be trusted. .
I think that line is damaging the reputation of the vaccines and discouraging many. Can't tell you how many social media posts I see claiming "Experimental gene therapy" and the like.

I do still have mixed opinions on mandating such a vaccine that doesn't have FDA approval yet, and part of that might be due to my unfamiliarity with the FDA approval process as its outside my area of expertise. I don't know if the differences are major, or minimal between the EUA and full approval. I think with an EUA in place, i'd be a little more hesitant to require mandated vaccination. With a full FDA approval, I wipe my hands of the debate and am on board.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:38 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Huh? cars stuff? anyway...

anyways as normal as things might seem going into the summer India seems to be the main focus now.

Starting may 4th (no joke) it looks like flights will be restricted
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/30/us-t...ged-india.html

I just don't see that much realistically changing over the next few months. I really don't think we're going to see Indian students coming over in the fall. Iran also might be another along with Pakistan. I tend to think of more services rather than products from India. Last year I remember hearing how the shift of services with Asia was due to that high speed internet was much more common at companies rather than homes. The Philippines is really iffy with this. We might be talking more of global infrastructure rather than just domestic. Globalization certainly is going to change. I wonder how a less diverse academia might look like in Boston.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I WOULD like to know where you are obtaining data in support of these very questionable claims of yours.

C'mon. It's all over Facebook and Reddit. All credible sources. Some even try to sell you a book or two.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:44 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
To be honest the AG might only be able to talk about state employees technically. Unless there's a real order coming down from the state dept of health I don't think there can be a real order. Having said that though the argument could be made for the withdrawal of funding on those that don't comply (i.e. like the alcohol age going up with highway funds) This might also tie into bakers study for hybrid/wfh.

If a governmental entity can have WFH and you add in say a religious exemption (which ended in CT) then that might allow for an exemption under the idea that people can work from home. But I don't know how far that would be able to go. Much of government is unionized so this means talking directly with union heads and that could get a tad iffy.

If they mandate this and the backlash is a religious exemption then WFH pretty much is the best solution rather than a termination. I don't think there can be arguments that unvaccinated people should work directly with the public. If it's WFH that's a bit different.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:54 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
That's not what you said before. But now that you are backtracking, I WOULD like to know where you are obtaining data in support of these very questionable claims of yours.
first off I saw a documentary on the Spanish flu and they were going door to door picking up dead bodies. second, some died as little as 12 hours after getting the virus and they turned black. I have so many sources I just remember information.

I have heard 50 million people were killed by the Spanish flu world wide.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1920&bih=969

this source says 3.17 million from covid 19. Not to mention the world's population in 1918 was much less than it is today.

The regular flu has killed way more people then covid. https://www.goodrx.com/blog/flu-vs-c...rates-by-year/

Dr Michael savage has a PhD in epidemiology said we should of had selective quarenting and not widespread like we did with covid 19.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-30-2021 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-30-2021, 12:57 PM

Not that I propose this, but i wonder if incentivizing the vaccine would produce the desired results. Offer a $500 "stimulus' with vaccination as a requirement.

With vaccine hesitation strong in lower income communities, i would imagine the promise of $500 would change some folk's minds.

Of course, that opens up another can of worms with regards to "fairness" and where that money comes from.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not that I propose this, but i wonder if incentivizing the vaccine would produce the desired results. Offer a $500 "stimulus' with vaccination as a requirement.

With vaccine hesitation strong in lower income communities, i would imagine the promise of $500 would change some folk's minds.

Of course, that opens up another can of worms with regards to "fairness" and where that money comes from.
Of course it would. Just like all the people who say voting in person with an ID is too difficult, toss them a $100 gift card and see how "easy" it becomes. I betcha they will post relentlessly on social media how this is a new form of "government trying to control us", but in private they will be knocking down little old ladies to get that shot. This coming from somebody who knows people all too well.

Old 04-30-2021, 01:11 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

You would have to also pay everyone that already got the vaccine. That's not small potatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts