Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 04:49 PM

139 posts, read 68,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Ivermectin? Oh geesh. Let the medical profession do their job!

Be your own advocate or be a statistic that is what I say! Get immunized, Get informed about possible treatments, know the time barriers to treatments, don't risk your life to old teachings. The science is CHANGING in treatment of this new disease. The recommendations are not the same as a year ago. And your MD may not be up to date on current treatments either-you may need to show MD the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 05:04 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
Be your own advocate or be a statistic that is what I say! Get immunized, Get informed about possible treatments, know the time barriers to treatments, don't risk your life to old teachings. The science is CHANGING in treatment of this new disease. The recommendations are not the same as a year ago. And your MD may not be up to date on current treatments either-you may need to show MD the info.
I know the intention is good, but telling your doctor how to do their job because you read about different treatments online is a good way to tick your doctor off.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:28 PM

139 posts, read 68,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right now Australia is not allowing Australians in India to go back to Australia. I don't know how they can actually say that legally. I would argue quarantine in would be the best solution they're not to outright deny your own citizens to come back

They had someone check out of a quarantine hotel(Melbourne?)tested negative a couple of weeks ago, spent a night at a bnb, ate out, did some things around town took a plane to Perth? and then it was 4 days later and Covid new test came back positive. Woman from bnb also tested positive. They shut city down. He had been in community 9 days. They have very little vaccine available. I think mostly workers at vaccine hotels, an some healthcare workers have received doses. They have had to be strict because India has been unable to fill their vaccine order due to lack of raw material sent to India that had been contracted from USA and stopped by our war supplies act. Also an ocean shipping blockade by one country that wanted vaccine, I think.

So there is method to the madness. Or madness in the method-trying to prevent real disaster at home. If we had done the same thing in December 2019 we would not have the problem we have now. No BIOGEN conference, no returning students, no international travel at all. and total quarantine of all infected persons-not self quarantine-supervised. Those cruse ships.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:55 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post

How many Americans would be upset if parts of Europe suddenly said 'sorry, but if you got vaccinated with J&J you can't visit?' This guidance would only impact your travel plans for a few years -- online is affecting these students' quality of education and potential future job prospects.
That already has happened.

https://fortune.com/2021/04/14/jj-co...n-and-johnson/

Vaccines have to have standards. If Europe and US have then at a level of 90 (I hear Russia is actually good with Sputnik 5) but china is 50...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/china...hnk/index.html

Old 05-02-2021, 07:15 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
They had someone check out of a quarantine hotel(Melbourne?)tested negative a couple of weeks ago, spent a night at a bnb, ate out, did some things around town took a plane to Perth? and then it was 4 days later and Covid new test came back positive. Woman from bnb also tested positive. They shut city down. He had been in community 9 days. They have very little vaccine available. I think mostly workers at vaccine hotels, an some healthcare workers have received doses. They have had to be strict because India has been unable to fill their vaccine order due to lack of raw material sent to India that had been contracted from USA and stopped by our war supplies act. Also an ocean shipping blockade by one country that wanted vaccine, I think.

So there is method to the madness. Or madness in the method-trying to prevent real disaster at home. If we had done the same thing in December 2019 we would not have the problem we have now. No BIOGEN conference, no returning students, no international travel at all. and total quarantine of all infected persons-not self quarantine-supervised. Those cruse ships.
^^AMEN

Hope gov't leaders learn a collective lesson from this. Take the hit early and deep, rather than the half-baked approach which cost trillions of $ worldwide. But I'm afraid that history will repeat itself for the next pandemic.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:27 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From my understanding of how COVID-19 can push your oxygen levels off a cliff before you realize you have a problem, I think I'd want a pulse oximeter on my finger if I were showing symptoms at home. I'll be 63 this month so I'm probably in a higher risk group than you are even fully vaccinated.

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I'm certainly not a font of knowledge in this area.
Yes, and it's not just limited to respiratory illness. A cousin of mine felt some discomfort in his abdomen from time to time, but he ignored it. In his mind, if it was anything serious, then it would be obvious and it would *feel* dangerous. Turns out, he had diverticulitis, and one day his colon burst. He was rushed to the hospital. He wound up with sepsis as well and spent a good amount of time in the ICU. Fortunately, he survived, but they had to cut out a fair amount of his colon and he used a colostomy bag thereafter, which isn't pleasant.

The old saying that comes to mind is that "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing".

Old 05-03-2021, 06:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
https://www.mass.gov/doc/weekly-covi...-2021/download

I was poking around the weekly state vaccination report by town spreadsheet this morning. As you'd expect, blue chip suburbia tends to have 40%+ and sometimes 50%+ fully vaccinated. The failed cities are mostly in the 21% to 25% range.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:27 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
That already has happened.

https://fortune.com/2021/04/14/jj-co...n-and-johnson/

Vaccines have to have standards. If Europe and US have then at a level of 90 (I hear Russia is actually good with Sputnik 5) but china is 50...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/china...hnk/index.html
I read that top link a couple of times, but it says nothing about travel restrictions based on vaccine. It's about Europe looking at using solely mRNA-based vaccines instead of traditional ones. Unless you posted the wrong article and my Google skills are failing me this morning, there is no travel ban to Europe based on which vaccine you have. So, I have to say no, it hasn't already happened.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:23 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Actually it does

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...vaccine-2021-5

"One thing is clear: All 27 member states will accept, unconditionally, all those who are vaccinated with vaccines that are approved by EMA," Ursula von der Leyen, the European Commission president, told The Times, referring to the European Medicines Agency. The EMA has authorized all three vaccines used in the US: Pfizer, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nated-tourists

"Under the proposal, member states would be obliged to accept proof for all shots approved in the EU -- including those produced by Pfizer Inc.-BioNTech SE, AstraZeneca Plc, Moderna Inc. and Johnson & Johnson."

"National governments will have the discretion to accept shots that have cleared the World Health Organization emergency use listing process, but they can’t recognize other vaccines on their own. This means people inoculated with Russia’s Sputnik or the Sinopharm and Sinovac shots from China will not be allowed to travel freely to the EU solely based of their immunization status."

So yes if you have a Russian or Chinese shot you CANNOT travel to the EU.

Look you can't have different standards and pretend it's equal. We can talk about sharing the patents but in no way is Sinovac and Sinopharm equal to anything coming out of the EU and USA. I thought Sputnik was good

https://extranet.who.int/pqweb/sites...3April2021.pdf

As we can see there's actually other vaccines as well but not everything has been fully WHO approved.

If the EU isn't letting those in with lower ranked vaccines what makes us think academia in Boston can skirt around this?

Keep in mind students can't just show up. There's a visa process
https://thepienews.com/news/us-annou...brazil-europe/

“The F-1 visa in China has been closed for 14 months. Appointments have been continuously cancelled weekly till April 30.”

He said there was an estimation of 200,000 F-1 student visas to be processed in China in May, June and July. As reported in The PIE, currently, “some students with means and third party support choose to go to third countries like Singapore to obtain the visa”, said Chen.

He explained that according to the department of state data, in the period of February 2020 to January 2021, only 48 F-1 student visas have been issued, comparing 103,086 F-1 issued in the previous 12 month period."

So yeah when some say the border isn't *really* closed but when you go from 103,086 approvals to 48 that's a pretty significant drop.

Visas get complicated

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/82285231.cms

This makes sense. If a class is an online class it makes no sense to allow people to come here just to take it online and bear the brunt of possible exposure.

Visas from India have declined significantly as well, about 66%
https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...ity-us-embassy
"As per the data reports of the US Department of State-Bureau of Consular Affairs, 15,323 F-1 (which is the visa required for a student academic or language training programme in the USA) or student visas were issued to Indian students for the fiscal year (FY) 2020 calculated from October 1, 2019 to September 30, 2020 by the United States Embassy and Consulate General in India. While in FY 2019, 43,714 F-1 or student visas were issued to Indian students."

Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
If the EU isn't letting those in with lower ranked vaccines what makes us think academia in Boston can skirt around this?
The EU isn't the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts