Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 09:37 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

We just had a dept meeting and the main topic was return to the office. Basically there are still so many unknowns. Leadership doesn't know when we will return, not even sure if it will be in 2021. They dont know if we will even be returning to the same space but wherever we go we will be hybrid going in 2-3 times a week but again so many unknowns as everyone has a different situation. Someone will need to be hired to keep track of who goes into the office and when. There were concerned over when the shared space will be cleaned.

I can't say I care that much about when/how the space is cleaned since covid is mostly airborne. It's not like you can get it if you sit in a seat that someone else used 12 hours earlier. Oy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:48 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Sounds like more offices are making return plans. Curious to hear what others' experiences are.

Our office will be fully open after Memorial Day, but we have some flexibility to WFH over the summer. By 9/7, it is expected everybody will be back in the office 5 days/week. No mention of vaccination needed, expected mask usage, etc.

My husband's office is somewhat similar. Will be fully open after Memorial Day, but no mention of whether you HAVE to be in the office a certain number of days. After Labor Day, it is expected that at least 2 days/week will be in the office.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:20 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Sounds like more offices are making return plans. Curious to hear what others' experiences are.

Our office will be fully open after Memorial Day, but we have some flexibility to WFH over the summer. By 9/7, it is expected everybody will be back in the office 5 days/week. No mention of vaccination needed, expected mask usage, etc.

My husband's office is somewhat similar. Will be fully open after Memorial Day, but no mention of whether you HAVE to be in the office a certain number of days. After Labor Day, it is expected that at least 2 days/week will be in the office.
We haven't officially announced yet, but it won't be Memorial Day. When we return (I'm guessing closer to September) it'll be full-time by default with the ability to work a hybrid schedule if preferred/approved by your manager and potential for full-remote in certain circumstances (based on supervisor/manager approval as well as HR approval). Frankly, we're at about 50% already in the office about 3-4 days per week. Another 20% is coming in between a few times per month and 1-2 days per week. About 30% have either not set foot in the building since March 2020, or have only done so very intermittently.

I manage a small team of 4 and we've had discussions about preferences for a return. One will be in every day (her choice), and the other 3 have said they want a hybrid schedule of about 3 or 4 days in the office per week (though I think one will end up being "full remote" and coming in intermittently). Given the type of work they're doing, I have zero issue with hybrid and even full/mostly remote. I've yet to hear of a manager that is not allowing a hybrid schedule, and I also haven't heard of anyone requesting full-time WFH as of yet (though I suspect plenty will). I'll be here 4-5 days per week. All of us will have added WFH flexibility as needed too which is, I believe, the best thing to come of COVID (leadership here was reluctant to allow it as an alternative to using PTO in the past).

*edited to add*
I don't know of any plans to really modify the physical space. If there are changes, I suspect those will be proposed once there's a clearer picture of what everyone is doing. We are in an old building, not a cube farm or skyscraper, so there's not a ton of shared space to begin with.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:31 AM

I'm surprised my dept doesn't have a more solid plan. I can understand they dont know exactly when we'll go back but they dont seem to know much of how anything will play out.

It seems like people here have been going back a few days a week for some time now. I know of a few others who have gone back as well.

Someone asked if there would be the option of not returning to the office at all and were basically told no and that the dept doesn't see that being an option.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:22 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'm still awaiting the governors study because that will have a significant impact. I've seen some groups that frankly haven't gone back at all (even hybrid). I just saw a job posting for a group in boston that anticipates labor day. There's one I applied to that is remote but might have gatherings in some gateway cities but not boston itself.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I'm still awaiting the governors study because that will have a significant impact. I've seen some groups that frankly haven't gone back at all (even hybrid). I just saw a job posting for a group in boston that anticipates labor day. There's one I applied to that is remote but might have gatherings in some gateway cities but not boston itself.
Oh yeah no one from my group will be back until at least September..but my dept is expected to back even after that.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:01 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Sounds like more offices are making return plans. Curious to hear what others' experiences are..
I just provided a list of my employees who can permanently WFH, and expected in-office time of those who will be hybrid, and who needs to be in 100% to do their duties.

Currently awaiting to see if i need to give up my office to knock down the walls for additional lab space. I may be homeless.

Timing is After 4th of July, but it keeps getting extended. At this point, still continuing on with the same plan we've been doing since last March.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:51 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I started a new job during the past year, in the middle of the pandemic. I am one of the continent of new staff who is designated 100% remote. Some of the others do have an office assignment and will be expected to be on-site, at least some of the time, but they haven't announced when that will be.

I am at the stage where, if anyone decides that I have regularly go into an office, that I think I will retire. I am over commuting sitting in one spot and never seeing the sun. And I've really gotten used to taking my dog for a walk at lunchtime. It's amazing how something as simple of that greatly adds to my quality of life and makes me so much happier.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Got a robocall from the City of Cambridge today which I assume went to all residents. Walk in vaccines, no appointment or ID needed.

Family in CT reports drive thru vaccinations with no appointment, choice of any of the 3 vaccines and a free hamburger or hotdog.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:16 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Got a robocall from the City of Cambridge today which I assume went to all residents. Walk in vaccines, no appointment or ID needed.

Family in CT reports drive thru vaccinations with no appointment, choice of any of the 3 vaccines and a free hamburger or hotdog.
Love the free hamburger or hotdog (and the drive-through bit)! I had been thinking about vaccination clinics near drive through McD's, with a coupon upon vaccination lol
Edited to add - I am very pro-vax, and am fully vaccinated. No incentives needed for me (though I would have loved the opportunity to do a drive through shot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts