Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 01:48 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
The UK Sage report/guardian article I linked to a few days ago found quite a few people testing positive with a median of 5 days after vaccination and suggested that the elderly and vulnerable who had been shielding for the past year may have been exposed at the vaccination events (or relaxed their behavior immediately). And by the way - cvs, Walgreens, Walmart etc. which are vaccinating also have shoppers present during vaccination events, increasing exposure. Obviously, it's very difficult to trace cases to vaccination events or supermarkets or ... in an area with high community transmission. Until or unless we actually have a superspreader event officially connected to a vaccination event, this issue will continue to get little attention in the US.

I just saw this at my local Walmart. They were all waiting in a little roped off area where there was definitely NOT adequate distancing and it was also abutting the main aisle going towards the checkout. Even as a fully vaccinated individual, this made me uneasy just navigating around that with shoppers still going in both directions, etc. I don't know how CVS is doing it, but this is definitely not a situation I would feel comfortable with especially if I was any kind of high risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 01:53 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Another huge day vaccine wise. Last 7 days they have done 240k first dose of just Moderna/Pfizer.

Edit: 75+ is at 81% first dose. Basically nobody above 75 got a shot this week.
65-75 is at 76% first dose.

Last edited by yesmaybe; 04-01-2021 at 03:08 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 01:33 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Past 2.4 million with one dose.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:34 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Sorry to hear that - that sounds pretty scary . I hope that he makes a full recovery.
I talked to him today and he's in Anna Jacques doing pretty well. He said the worst problem is the breathing. He tried to go to the bathroom and I guess he disconnected his oxygen so he passed out on the floor. But they said he is getting better and should be able to go home Sunday.

However, I am also concerned about his elderly woman friend who is legally blind because he took her grocery shopping the day before he tested positive. He felt a little bit sick that day and was starting to cough but thought it was allergies. This woman is not vaccinated at all! Being homebound, she has no way to get to a vaccination site. She finally may get someone to come to her house and vaccinate her now that they have to trace anyone with whom he's been in contact!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:32 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
He felt a little bit sick that day and was starting to cough but thought it was allergies.!
I read somewhere (it might have been on this forum) that the Covid cough is a deep dry, uncontrollable cough coming directly from your chest. I'd imagine it to be similar to a cough associated with the flu because your body is trying to rid itself of the virus whereas with allergies, the cough comes from simple throat irritation resulting from dust, dander, or pollen getting into your nostrils. Again I cannot state this as a fact but I did read about it somewhere.

Old 04-02-2021, 08:19 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
I talked to him today and he's in Anna Jacques doing pretty well. He said the worst problem is the breathing. He tried to go to the bathroom and I guess he disconnected his oxygen so he passed out on the floor. But they said he is getting better and should be able to go home Sunday.

However, I am also concerned about his elderly woman friend who is legally blind because he took her grocery shopping the day before he tested positive. He felt a little bit sick that day and was starting to cough but thought it was allergies. This woman is not vaccinated at all! Being homebound, she has no way to get to a vaccination site. She finally may get someone to come to her house and vaccinate her now that they have to trace anyone with whom he's been in contact!
Good to hear that he is on the mend! Scary nevertheless.
The fact that the homebound/disabled (who often rely on helpers and therefore can't isolate) have been largely ignored/pushed to the backburner in this rollout is (yet another) severe oversight and calamity. It looks like vaccines are starting to trickle into private homes at least in MA (and RI) - but this is something that could have been planned better well in advance, considering that storage requirements have been known for a long time.

Old 04-03-2021, 09:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I read somewhere (it might have been on this forum) that the Covid cough is a deep dry, uncontrollable cough coming directly from your chest. I'd imagine it to be similar to a cough associated with the flu because your body is trying to rid itself of the virus whereas with allergies, the cough comes from simple throat irritation resulting from dust, dander, or pollen getting into your nostrils. Again I cannot state this as a fact but I did read about it somewhere.

I can buy that. I have allergies and any irritation or cough has always originated from what felt like back of throat irritation. My MIL who has covid twice (and also has allergies) has said the the cough is different and feels like you are trying to eject something from the lungs. It originates deeper. All anecdotal of course, but it sounds plausible.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-03-2021 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-03-2021, 11:35 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:

Sheesh, sounds like he's not out of the woods by any means, but good to hear that he's turned the corner.

Not sure what her condition is or exactly where they live, but I can easily walk to Anna Jacques from my house, so presumably they're in the greater Newburyport area. A good place to start with questions on vaccination and if applicable, senior transport, is the local council on aging. I wound up going all the way to Natick for a mass vaccination center appt due to the pre-registration process, but there seem to be local vaccinations available. On the nextdoor site, I see locals discussing CVS, Walgreens, and Amesbury High School, in fact I've even heard of them being given out at times at the Newburyport Senior Center, which isn't on the Mass state list of vaccine centers.

Newburyport Council on Aging - they have senior transport in a wheelchair accessible van
https://www.cityofnewburyport.com/council-on-aging

Amesbury Council on Aging
https://www.amesburyma.gov/council-on-aging

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-03-2021 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-03-2021, 03:18 PM

432 posts, read 414,985 times
The Mass.gov eligible medical conditions page has been changed and clarified. Some of that info took a few clicks to get to previously, for example that 'smoker' included former smokers also.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...cal-conditions

Old 04-03-2021, 03:23 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
The NHS is struggling with many staff (4%!) impacted by long covid. Interestingly, teachers are the second most affected group of employees. https://www.theguardian.com/society/...aff-long-covid
Yet so many people think that if hospitalizations and deaths are down, everything is fine...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts