Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 06:26 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Too many people still think covid is a binary between dead or fully recovered after 2 weeks or maybe a month. The shades of grey in between are still, frankly, pretty untested territory.
Coincidentally, I just read an article in a European journal that had a diagnosis of covid now means that people face higher rates or even refusal for private health insurance (this in a country with a very good public health insurance system).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 06:32 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So do you think my providing the video with the info from the Texas trauma surgeon is "fear mongering"? If so, please explain why you think that.
I don't see this as fear mongering at all. In fact, I think we have done a great job of actually hiding the extent of suffering in this pandemic (very few images from inside hospitals, pics of refrigerated trucks; local ER doc Meghan Ranney took a picture of herself in our field hospital - without patients, of course, just empty beds, etc.). All in the name of privacy, of course. On the other hand, plenty of scary images and videos of last week's devastating attack on the Capitol.
If the pandemic were more visible to us as a people, I wonder if our reaction would have been different. Many health care providers will be dealing with PTSD for years to come, as they describe war-like conditions.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:41 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7
I understand we should question everything we are told and reach our own conclusions, but if I tell you the trees are green, you should be able to arrive at the same conclusion on your own without yelling fake news/conspiracy.
The trees around my house aren’t green. All the leaves fell off months ago.

An object lesson that there are few absolutes, I guess. With COVID-19, in February, we all thought it was droplet transmission and that masks wouldn’t do much. That was plausible using a flu virus as a model. Turned out to be totally wrong. Newtonian physics stood up for centuries. It falls over when velocity approaches the speed of light. I had a modern physics course as an undergrad. I couldn’t look at an exam question and approximate the expected answer like I could with Newtonian physics. I had to play chimpanzee and blindly do the math to calculate the answer. It didn’t fit into my known universe of how things work. That was probably the most enlightening course I took in college.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:11 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s purely an education problem. Sure, in some scenarios it is, but this individual holds a very high position at a local tech company. He wouldn’t be there without education.

I wouldn’t say it’s strictly a left vs right thing either. I describe myself (and most of my social circle) as right-leaning but even among my peers we’ve shaken our heads in disbelief at many of the events of the past few years.

I don’t know what to say really. This year has been very eye opening. We can build rockets that go to space and land vertically, electric self-driving cars, and develop vaccines in less than a year, but then have a segment of the population that thinks the world is flat, chemtrails, vaccines are really tracking chips, and that there is a world organization pulling the strings for everything. I understand we should question everything we are told and reach our own conclusions, but if I tell you the trees are green, you should be able to arrive at the same conclusion on your own without yelling fake news/conspiracy.
Nothing new about lies in politics and zealots. Everything has been amped up 10x though. There is a symbiosis between (a) the propagandists - who get money and influence by outraging people with fiction cloaked as "the real truth", and (b) their followers, who actively seek out these "revelations". Tucker Carlson has been a malleable and 99% reliable proponent of whatever Donald Trump wants to claim is true these past 4 years and he has a huge and loyal following on Fox News. But when he experimented with telling the truth, not even about the President, but about his legal team - specifically Sidney Powell, his viewers went ballistic and labeled him "a traitor". After losing many viewers overnight, he recanted the truth. So, even when the information comes from someone they trust, it's absolutely radioactive if it doesn't conform to what they want to believe. This is not just an academic problem, as we saw on Jan 6th, but I don't know what we can do about it.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:22 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Nothing new about lies in politics and zealots. Everything has been amped up 10x though. There is a symbiosis between (a) the propagandists - who get money and influence by outraging people with fiction cloaked as "the real truth", and (b) their followers, who actively seek out these "revelations". Tucker Carlson has been a malleable and 99% reliable proponent of whatever Donald Trump wants to claim is true these past 4 years and he has a huge and loyal following on Fox News. But when he experimented with telling the truth, not even about the President, but about his legal team - specifically Sidney Powell, his viewers went ballistic and labeled him "a traitor". After losing many viewers overnight, he recanted the truth. So, even when the information comes from someone they trust, it's absolutely radioactive if it doesn't conform to what they want to believe. This is not just an academic problem, as we saw on Jan 6th, but I don't know what we can do about it.
It's a long term problem caused be decline of quality objective journalism, and the increase of reliance on social media for trash news. Not sure what can reverse that at this point.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:28 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The trees around my house aren’t green. All the leaves fell off months ago.
No pine or spruce trees near your house?

Old 01-16-2021, 12:31 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's a long term problem caused be decline of quality objective journalism, and the increase of reliance on social media for trash news. Not sure what can reverse that at this point.
I was going to suggest the same exact thing but with more emphasis on the social media element.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:12 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s purely an education problem. Sure, in some scenarios it is, but this individual holds a very high position at a local tech company. He wouldn’t be there without education.
Maybe I should clarify. I meant rational thought, not necessarily one's degree. One doesn't need to understand that the acceleration of gravity = 9.8 m/s2 to appreciate that it works and that it's a law of nature. Rational thought would point one toward understanding that hospitalization statistics, ICU utilization, and death certificates cannot be "faked" on a mass scale required to support a conspiracy.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Maybe I should clarify. I meant rational thought, not necessarily one's degree. One doesn't need to understand that the acceleration of gravity = 9.8 m/s2 to appreciate that it works and that it's a law of nature. Rational thought would point one toward understanding that hospitalization statistics, ICU utilization, and death certificates cannot be "faked" on a mass scale required to support a conspiracy.
You'd have to have many millions of scientists, public health officials and staff, doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers, morgue workers, etc ALL in on the conspiracy, with no one talking, and no one getting caught. That can't possibly work, it's ridiculous to even propose. And that's just in the USA, because Covid-19 is recognized as a deadly pandemic and grave threat around the world. These delusions about the virus being only a minor problem (or even a complete hoax), about the death toll being highly exaggerated, about political conspiracies underlying the spread of the disease - these kinds of beliefs are only widespread in the USA. Why? Easy, the USA is the only nation in the world where the President himself, and legions of aligned media voices are promoting these lies.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:26 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I was going to suggest the same exact thing but with more emphasis on the social media element.
The two kind of go hand in hand. Quality journalism costs money, which people won't pay for if you can get it free elsewhere. Put that together with 2020 attention spans...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts