Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 08:21 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

I still recall about a month ago a PhD immunologist co worker I work with who’s really chill hippie hipster type told me he is disgusted by the media’s reaction to all of this and that he’s not worried. I remember saying ok so you’re not worried and he laughed and said no.

I wonder if he feels the same now or if he’s still disgusted by the reaction. I could slack him and ask him but I feel weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 08:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

In fairness, I bought a ticket to London for early May. My sister lives there and the fallout from the virus dropped fares to about $300 (on Delta/Virgin, not Norwegian or another LCC). So I took advantage too. The last time I was in London, in late January, the news of the virus was just starting to take off. When I was in France in mid-February, the first person in that country died of the virus. And when I bought my ticket to London in late Feb., we were just starting to grapple with the weight of the realization that we won't dodge this bullet in the U.S. The whole time I felt like we should be doing more to prepare for the inevitability of the hit, but I bought the ticket because of the price and on the hope that we'd be prepared and that the hit wouldn't be that big here. I was wrong by a long shot. My trip is almost certainly not going to happen, but that's the least of my worries now.

Yup, and I will still mock racist scum that bash and targeted Chinese businesses and used a pandemic as a cover for their racist hate. They are racist scumbags. I didn't dismiss the seriousness of this illness, what I dismissed is people using it as a reason to cover their hatred of other races, in other words, using this pandemic as a reason not to patronize Chinese businesses. Bleeping scumbags. And yup, I'm patronizing Chinese restaurants more than ever; doing my part to offset the damage being caused by these trash people. I'm not "coming together" with racist scumbags that trash people of color every chance they get. Can you believe that there was a discussion about Chinese restaurants and someone was so ignorant and full of hate that they introduced the notion of not going to one because of this disease? YES! That really happened. What a piece of crap such a person must be to think like that.

And yup. I have bought several international tickets and look forward to going. These countries are often very dependent on tourism for their economy and I look forward to helping them out. Panama, Sri Lanka and Peru all booked.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 AM

There’s been a lot of anti Asian/anti Chinese sentiment in Italy. I haven’t seen any here. I’m avoiding any type of restaurant at this point.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There’s been a lot of anti Asian/anti Chinese sentiment in Italy. I haven’t seen any here. I’m avoiding any type of restaurant at this point.
Have you been to any of the major Italian tourist areas recently? They have been flooded with Chinese tour groups. The guide with the metal collapsible antenna with a flag attached to it with a couple dozen Chinese tourists trailing behind. The reaction doesn’t surprise me at all.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They have been flooded with Chinese tour groups. The guide with the metal collapsible antenna with a flag attached to it with a couple dozen Chinese tourists trailing behind.
You don't need to go to Italy for that. Just visit Harvard Square.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Found out today that a coworker's wife was diagnosed with coronavirus. He has since lost taste and smell, so he likely has it, but can't get tested.

I sat next to the coworker in a meeting 2 weeks ago and was in his cube to say goodbye on the 13th, though in both cases 6 feet away. I should be in the clear, but loooord.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, and I will still mock racist scum that bash and targeted Chinese businesses and used a pandemic as a cover for their racist hate. They are racist scumbags. I didn't dismiss the seriousness of this illness, what I dismissed is people using it as a reason to cover their hatred of other races, in other words, using this pandemic as a reason not to patronize Chinese businesses. Bleeping scumbags. And yup, I'm patronizing Chinese restaurants more than ever; doing my part to offset the damage being caused by these trash people. I'm not "coming together" with racist scumbags that trash people of color every chance they get. Can you believe that there was a discussion about Chinese restaurants and someone was so ignorant and full of hate that they introduced the notion of not going to one because of this disease? YES! That really happened. What a piece of crap such a person must be to think like that.

And yup. I have bought several international tickets and look forward to going. These countries are often very dependent on tourism for their economy and I look forward to helping them out. Panama, Sri Lanka and Peru all booked.
Agreed on all fronts. The racism has been gross and rampant.

Also, we're looking at Peru in the fall too. Some good deals with miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There's been a TON here. I'm not Asian, but I've even witnessed it personally. It's actually been an issue at work and one employee even lost their job over it. It goes far deeper than just avoiding restaurants.

*edit* here's another example here in MA. This person is supposed to be providing treatment and support for patients, regardless of race. How would you like to be treated by her if your appearance or name could cause her to peg you as "Chinese?"

Old 03-26-2020, 10:14 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

You look for reasons to hate people. And when you can't find any, you fabricate some.

There is nothing racist about not wanting to be around people that may be sick and contagious. Right now I don't want to be around anyone...but especially people that went to Mardi Gras or recently came here from New York. Oh, and also college kids that went down south for Spring Break.

I don't hate anyone. I just don't want to get sick. If you think that makes me a bad person, I really don't care.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:17 AM

669 posts, read 320,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
People keep bring up the one or two people who died from it who are allegedly under 50 or "it could happen to you" but the facts don't bear that out. The press won't do a story on the 95% that recovered successfully.

You can die from the flu -- you can be killed in a car accident. We do not put the world on hold.

You have no proof for that.
Tons of people who have the virus are not being tested and they aren't being tested because their symptoms are mild. Thus they are not being counted. Then there are the people who already had it and recovered... which even now experts say is likely.
Experts have said all over that earlier the lock down, the exponential impact it has on the rate of spread. Search it up please.

Doctors are the ones raising the alarm bells now... and in many cases, pleading. Typical skeptic that likes to make up their own rules. This 'hysteria' is now driven by Medical professionals. Media of course is highlighting it for more ratings, but make no mistakes, the health community is in panic mode as those hit hard are overrun, saying they've never seen anything like this (despite leaked videos and testimony from health professionals in Wuhan).

Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM

The first weekend of March I went to a baby shower where the soon to be mothers family is from China. I can’t say I wasn’t nervous and didn’t think wow I hope no one here was recently in China. My mom And friend who are both nurses said the same thing. I’m sure timberline will call me racist for that which will confirm that he’s unreasonable. Even if I chose not to go the shower it’d be me putting my health first and worried about spreading coronavirus. But I went!

A co Worker told me weeks ago her friend gives music lessons and anyone who had recently returned from China was not allowed to go. We were like wow that does sound crazy and racist but these are crazy times.

Now I feel nervous being around anyone whos been to Italy, Spain, nyc, and ca and there’s a lot of people in the Boston area I’m staying away from.

This isn’t a racist matter people! It’s a health issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts