Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 04:18 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is not just "the flu", it's a variety of SARS.
That wasn't my point. My point was someone saying "anyone" could die of Corona. Anyone could die of the flu.

But the reality is that the death rate it tiny. 2% for mostly old people anyway. The rest of us should not have to suffer. Their time is up. It is just more ignoring nature. This is why nature sends around these viruses. To take out the old and infirm.

Yet instead of that tragedy playing itself out.. the 98% get to suffer -- suffer economic harm, suffer mental harm, suffer health harm.

It is irrational. More emotional thinking, not logical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 04:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is definitely the "I don't have pre-existing conditions so I'm safe, right?" mentality. In my limited (online) social contacts, there seem to be the "I am definitely going to get this and die" camp and the "it's no worse than the flu" camp. In reality, the morality rate seems to be approaching the 1.5-2% range, which is scary but not Ebola. Mitigating that fear some is the mortality rate for those without pre-existing conditions appears to be lower than 1%.
I’m in the “I’ve modified my behavior so I’m a lot less likely to get it” camp. This disease is brutal for high risk people who have no viable choice but to work and can’t telecommute. It won’t happen with a McConnell Senate and Trump but there’s a class of people who have high risk health issues where they’re really disabled until there’s an effective treatment, a vaccine, or the disease somehow vanishes. A large fraction of them are in red states that are less healthy and poorer. I write frequently that Fox News has convinced those people to vote against their self interest. In this case, it could very well kill them.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:52 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’m in the “I’ve modified my behavior so I’m a lot less likely to get it” camp. This disease is brutal for high risk people who have no viable choice but to work and can’t telecommute. It won’t happen with a McConnell Senate and Trump but there’s a class of people who have high risk health issues where they’re really disabled until there’s an effective treatment, a vaccine, or the disease somehow vanishes. A large fraction of them are in red states that are less healthy and poorer. I write frequently that Fox News has convinced those people to vote against their self interest. In this case, it could very well kill them.
Speaking of Fox News, they told me today that the delayed response to Covid-19 was the Democrats fault for dragging them through an impeachment ... made them take their eye of the ball!

Incredible propaganda given their fearless leader was calling it a hoax trying to keep equity markets from imploding ... such things hurt re-election bids, so it’s understandable ... if you lack ethics.

Anyway, even if MA lifts the current isolation measures, we live in a global economy which means most will not escape economic hardship as their employer will still proceed with cuts/furloughs to counter the global bleed in demand and productivity. So while we might spare some small businesses bankruptcy, we’d be inviting a higher death toll to end up largely in the same spot.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I just saw a news blurb that a newborn baby in Hartford just died from it.
Ugh that’s awful. Was it transmitted by the mother ?

Old 04-01-2020, 04:56 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Speaking of Fox News, they told me today that the delayed response to Covid-19 was the Democrats fault for dragging them through an impeachment ... made them take their eye of the ball!

Incredible propaganda given their fearless leader was calling it a hoax trying to keep equity markets from imploding ... such things hurt re-election bids, so it’s understandable ... if you lack ethics.

Anyway, even if MA lifts the current isolation measures, we live in a global economy which means most will not escape economic hardship as their employer will still proceed with cuts/furloughs to counter the global bleed in demand and productivity. So while we might spare some small businesses bankruptcy, we’d be inviting a higher death toll to end up largely in the same spot.
This is where the importance of critical thinking comes into play. Despite what you may have heard on CNN, Trump did not call it a hoax. NEVER. Speaking of propaganda...

Old 04-01-2020, 05:01 PM

There are people who won’t be affected financially by this either. Seems unfair when so many others who already aren’t in a great spot will be.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:05 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There are people who won’t be affected financially by this either. Seems unfair when so many others who already aren’t in a great spot will be.
So you wish they suffer as well??? Life is never fair.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Some people, the ultra wealthy the system already serves, will be able to use their political influence to really profit off of this. The bailout is helping the rich far more than the working poor ( thank God Bernie got gig workers included in the payments). Thats how our system is set up, to funnel most of every thing to those with tons of capital already.

Off to food bank deliveries again. People are hurting.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
There are people who won’t be affected financially by this either.
Who?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:12 PM

Very wealthy people. I mean theyll lose money in the stock market but they have so much they won’t notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts