Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 01:50 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The economy is ruined by tens of thousands of people dying and millions sick and hospitals overrun and people able to become infected by talking to other people closer than 6 feet away. I think that covers most people.

You might consider that this is a life-changing world-changing ongoing event across the country and around the world.
Hear, hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 02:02 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
1118 new cases, and 33 new deaths.

Case count is higher than recent days. Still showing an upward trend. Not a peak,’but cresting perhaps?

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-01-2020 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 02:39 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
1118 new cases, and 33 new deaths.
Case count is higher than recent days. Still showing an upward trend. Not a peak,’but cresting perhaps?
I still say cresting. It isn't like we keep seeing surges in new cases. I would say this 2 week period upcoming will be the highest numbers and then we will go down.

There was a 30 year old who died but it said he has pre-exsisting conditions.

Quote:
The economy is ruined by tens of thousands of people dying and millions sick and hospitals overrun and people able to become infected by talking to other people closer than 6 feet away. I think that covers most people.
If it were not for the gov't shutting things down life would be going on as normal. Even with these half baked social distancing measures we have a tiny percentage of the population dying from it.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:45 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I still say cresting. It isn't like we keep seeing surges in new cases. I would say this 2 week period upcoming will be the highest numbers and then we will go down.

There was a 30 year old who died but it said he has pre-exsisting conditions.

If it were not for the gov't shutting things down life would be going on as normal. Even with these half baked social distancing measures we have a tiny percentage of the population dying from it.
Well the point is that things have been shut down. It’s happening and will be happening for weeks to come whether people like it or not. Time to get used to it.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:48 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:

There was a 30 year old who died but it said he has pre-existing conditions.

Holy crap...what a lack of sensitivity. Just because the 30-yr-old had pre-existing conditions...so what? S/he might have lived to a normal old age if not for the virus!

For the umpteenth time: It's not just about the tiny % of population dying from it...it's about the capacity of our health care system to handle all of these cases over the coming months.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Holy crap...what a lack of sensitivity. Just because the 30-yr-old had pre-existing conditions...so what? S/he might have lived to a normal old age if not for the virus!

For the umpteenth time: It's not just about the tiny % of population dying from it...it's about the capacity of our health care system to handle all of these cases over the coming months.
This is definitely the "I don't have pre-existing conditions so I'm safe, right?" mentality. In my limited (online) social contacts, there seem to be the "I am definitely going to get this and die" camp and the "it's no worse than the flu" camp. In reality, the morality rate seems to be approaching the 1.5-2% range, which is scary but not Ebola. Mitigating that fear some is the mortality rate for those without pre-existing conditions appears to be lower than 1%.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:07 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well the point is that things have been shut down. It’s happening and will be happening for weeks to come whether people like it or not. Time to get used to it.
I will never and my reps will hear from me. There is no reason for this. How many people with other diseases are not getting the care they deserve because of media hype. Plus, no TP.

Quote:
This is definitely the "I don't have pre-existing conditions so I'm safe, right?" mentality.
Oh you mean fact... yes fact are a poor mentality. The state lists such things right on their reporting so I guess they have the same mentality. We have no way of knowing what those conditions were and how severe.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This is definitely the "I don't have pre-existing conditions so I'm safe, right?" mentality. In my limited (online) social contacts, there seem to be the "I am definitely going to get this and die" camp and the "it's no worse than the flu" camp. In reality, the morality rate seems to be approaching the 1.5-2% range, which is scary but not Ebola. Mitigating that fear some is the mortality rate for those without pre-existing conditions appears to be lower than 1%.
Still, I would not want to catch the virus if I can help it. I caught the flu two years in a row during which I was bedridden for half a week. Prior to this virus, the flu has got to be one of the worst if not the worst feeling you could ever get. I still recall my lungs pricking as if spiked metal balls were rubbing against them, the incessant coughing, the fatigue, the trouble breathing, the body aches, etc. Just because I survived the flu doesn't mean I'd dismiss it as a fluke because it is not a fluke. The symptoms for this coronavirus as told by folks who got over it sound really bad. If you believe it isn't that scary then that's fine for you but don't include me in that camp .

Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Looks like just under 10% hospitalization rate for tested cases.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

This model has updated. Estimated peak pushed out a day and over 90k dead predicted now.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:23 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I will never and my reps will hear from me. There is no reason for this. How many people with other diseases are not getting the care they deserve because of media hype. Plus, no TP.
Interesting how China and South Korea and Singapore and of course Italy and Spain and France are all in on this hyped situation. I must inform my friend hunkered down in Tuscany that it's all Anderson Cooper's fault and fantasy.

No possible way to respond to this poster that will be appropriate or helpful. Of course, if they are unable to breathe at home or anywhere, I'm sure they will decline to call for help or go to hospital for care, since it's all just hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts