Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Back to driving into what so many out of state dopes call on the PVD board the "ghetto" to give food to people that are actually hungry and fighting to stay in their homes. You know, people that are actually hurting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
How many times are you going to mention this? Until you get the pat on the back you're so desperately looking for?
Something tells me it won't stop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
So you think it’s no big deal that old people die from the flu regularly but we’re doing all that we’re doing to save people from dying of coronavirus? Or not actually.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So you think it’s no big deal that old people die from the flu regularly but we’re doing all that we’re doing to save people from dying of coronavirus? Or not actually.
None of the above.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
The principle is the same. We are ok with some viruses taking lives but not coronavirus.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
The principle is the same. We are ok with some viruses taking lives but not coronavirus.
It's not a matter of being "OK" with some viruses taking lives. And we know the coronavirus will take many, no question. This about responding properly to a worldwide pandemic, while attempting not to allow the entire healthcare system to shut down as well as minimizing economic damage. We have already accepted that people will die. We have accepted that the hospitals will become overwhelmed. And we have obviously accepted massive economic damage. At this point, it's a matter of mitigation and hoping to avoid catastrophe on all ends. You or I will not have the answer to this, that is what the experts are for. It is them we need to listen to, and I would certainly not want to be a leader right now.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:59 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are people really still comparing this to the flu??? Unbelievable.
Yes, sadly many are despite even the most conservative mortality rate percentage being 33x that of the common influenza.

Unfortunately some segment of the population will not take this seriously until they are losing loved ones. Sadly, my wife found out today that a former peer/friend in her undergrad program died from Covid-19 complications yesterday ... mid-30's, seemingly fit and healthy, left his toddler, wife, and aspirations behind ... devastating news despite the distance created over 10+ years. I know a few other 30-somethings who are quarantined and, while not currently hospitalized, some notable percentage have reported some rather severe respiratory issues. Seems that if even the healthy get a high viral load in the lungs, it can be a tough go. Certainly worse than your average flu (their words, not mine).

Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
...Seems that if even the healthy get a high viral load in the lungs, it can be a tough go. Certainly worse than your average flu (their words, not mine).
What I see a lot of, online and in person, is people both terribly offended that their lives are being disturbed and they can't do what they want, and people grasping frantically trying for a sense of control by finding out who lost the lottery and why they will win. It's not rational or appealing but I think it operates.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:10 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes, sadly many are despite even the most conservative mortality rate percentage being 33x that of the common influenza.

Unfortunately some segment of the population will not take this seriously until they are losing loved ones. Sadly, my wife found out today that a former peer/friend in her undergrad program died from Covid-19 complications yesterday ... mid-30's, seemingly fit and healthy, left his toddler, wife, and aspirations behind ... devastating news despite the distance created over 10+ years. I know a few other 30-somethings who are quarantined and, while not currently hospitalized, some notable percentage have reported some rather severe respiratory issues. Seems that if even the healthy get a high viral load in the lungs, it can be a tough go. Certainly worse than your average flu (their words, not mine).

Sorry about your wife's friend, Shrewsburried.

Bridge, still think you're invincible?

Old 04-01-2020, 09:14 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
...haven't lived in mass since '08...was chatting with my old neighbor today, he told me that the hosp/clinic etc. were supplying local law enforcement with the names and addresses of people that have tested positive...can't believe this..i called b.s on it and he spiraled...is it true??...anyone have any info on this

Old 04-01-2020, 09:35 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...haven't lived in mass since '08...was chatting with my old neighbor today, he told me that the hosp/clinic etc. were supplying local law enforcement with the names and addresses of people that have tested positive...can't believe this..i called b.s on it and he spiraled...is it true??...anyone have any info on this
My understanding is that HIPPA has been relaxed allowing PHI (personal health information; e.g., Covid-19 infection) to be disclosed to first responders for both their own protection and the protection of the public.

I suppose one could, and maybe should, be concerned with their personal rights; however, the good-faith intent is to allow the local health authorities to, potentially with assistance from local law enforcement, respond to Covid-19 positive patients who continue work in a high contact positions knowing they are putting the general public at risk. Examples would be firefighters, EMTs, hospital staff, retirement center staff, food prep, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts