Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Also wanted to add that a few weeks ago I had a drs appt and the nurse asked me if I’d recently traveled to China. Is that racist ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
This isn’t a racist matter people! It’s a health issue.
Quote:
Also wanted to add that a few weeks ago I had a drs appt and the nurse asked me if I’d recently traveled to China. Is that racist ?
Is it really that hard to see the difference between asking someone if they recently traveled to a hard-hit location and treating someone differently (terribly) because you think they look Chinese?

It can be both. Of course people should be vigilant about having traveled to a location with a lot of cases. But it can also be racist if vigilance turns toward the mistreatment of others. It's really not a difficult distinction and I'm floored that people have such a hard time understanding the difference.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Good God. Can you seriously not understand the difference between that question and saying you wouldn't eat Chinese food? Or that you don't want to be around people of Chinese heritage? Seriously?

Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Have you been to any of the major Italian tourist areas recently? They have been flooded with Chinese tour groups. The guide with the metal collapsible antenna with a flag attached to it with a couple dozen Chinese tourists trailing behind. The reaction doesn’t surprise me at all.
Under that logic they might as well ask if you went to MIT or live in the 128 belt

Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
A racist Trump loving Fox News watching right wing conservative. Sue her! SUE THE HOSPITAL!!!

Old 03-26-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good God. Can you seriously not understand the difference between that question and saying you wouldn't eat Chinese food? Or that you don't want to be around people of Chinese heritage? Seriously?
Because people are worried that the people cooking the food recently returned from China and could have it. Wake up.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:32 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
I still recall about a month ago a PhD immunologist co worker I work with who’s really chill hippie hipster type told me he is disgusted by the media’s reaction to all of this and that he’s not worried. I remember saying ok so you’re not worried and he laughed and said no.

I wonder if he feels the same now or if he’s still disgusted by the reaction. I could slack him and ask him but I feel weird.
Most people offering up opinions like that aren't involved directly. They get to sit back and play armchair quarterback from relative safety. Everyone I know playing FB professional and complaining about the shutdown is either 1) directly affected and out of work and bitter, or 2) upset that their life has been "inconvenienced" but relatively safe in their suburb while watching Netflix all day and working from home, or 3) lives in the boonies 300 miles from the nearest case and will likely never come in contact with anyone carrying the virus.

---------------------

I'll just say it bluntly, there are people out there that do value their livelihood over the possible lives saved by some of these actions. Now, I don't mean to say that in a selfish, arrogant way. But we don't always see the results of our choices and understand the implications.

For example, you might have a struggling family trying to keep a roof over the heads of their young children. Staying home means possibly helping to save the lives of people they would never meet. Going out into public to work would put food on the table, but might create situations that might cause the virus to spread.

Had they stayed home, lost income, been evicted, gone homeless, etc, they might have broken the chain of transmission, that would have resulted in a few hundred infections and 2-3 possible deaths. Maybe one of those deaths is a Doctor who could possibly go on to save another dozen or so lives. Nobody will ever really know. However, doing so basically ruined their own family's livelihood, all for the benefit of an unknown outcome.

If you took this scenario out of context and ask random people to choose between their own family, or the benefit of society, which do you think they would choose?

Old 03-26-2020, 10:34 AM

The point is that you don’t know someone you don’t know where they have traveled recently so ya you might want to avoid them. My boss wanted to avoid his boss who has recently travelled to ca.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blistex649 View Post
Typical skeptic that likes to make up their own rules. .
Quote:
Found out today that a coworker's wife was diagnosed with coronavirus. He has since lost taste and smell, so he likely has it, but can't get tested.

You were saying?

Can't have it both ways, freaking out because people "can't get tested" and then freaking out because the "death rate is so high".

If people can't get tested who "likely have it" then obviously the number that have it is a LOT higher than the current data. Leading to the obvious conclusion for anyone who isn't hysterical that the death rate is lower than advertised.

Quote:
Experts have said all over that earlier the lock down, the exponential impact it has on the rate of spread.
And look up he experts who have said it is very likely that this has been here for a while. So locking down now is much too late.

330 MILLION filed for unemployment benefits. There are 1000 deaths in the entire USA due to the corona virius. How many deaths due to cancer. There has to be some middle ground and I think the middle ground is mid april 2020 people start returning to work.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:35 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
The first weekend of March I went to a baby shower where the soon to be mothers family is from China. I can’t say I wasn’t nervous...I’m sure timberline will call me racist for that
Does the family travel to China a lot? I’m technically Irish, but I’ve never been to Ireland (except for a layover once or twice).

I have a lot of good friends who are technically Vietnamese but have never been to Vietnam. I’m sure the same is true for many Americans of Chinese descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts