Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Because that is how long it typically takes to develop a vaccine. There are few corners which can be cut with that process. There is nothing to blame scientists and drs for in terms of vaccine development. There are many efforts moving full speed ahead across the globe. Pray one or more are successful.

That's a very fast pace for vaccine development. Very.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 07:27 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Because that is how long it typically takes to develop a vaccine. There are few corners which can be cut with that process. There is nothing to blame scientists and drs for in terms of vaccine development. There are many efforts moving full speed ahead across the globe. Pray one or more are successful.
Correct. What is not helpful is when certain administrations suggest otherwise to juice equity markets.

Oh, and Ford is going to retool they're entire assembly line ... and take on liabilities ... to become a ventilator manufacturer. Rational people are going to self lobotomize pretty soon here.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:36 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Trump is saying there will be "suicides by the thousands" if the economy remains shut down.

And he wants to see churches packed on Easter Sunday...saying it would be beautiful.
It's a true statement that there will be suicides by the thousands if the economy shuts down. There will be more suicides,more homeless, more depression, less access to healthcare due to lapses in coverage and/or unwillingness to pay medical costs, which will also lead to deaths.

This isn't a question of simply pausing the economy to save lives and then turning the economy back on with no repercussions. Lives are lost if we shut down the economy. I have had several friends who've already lost their jobs and those jobs won't come back even if everything went back to normal tomorrow. Obviously nobody wants people to die, but every decision has an associated cost.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Right I think there will be more suffering if the economy is shut down for too long. Apparently people aren’t supposed to even think about money though when people are dying.

Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 AM

I’m on a few Facebook groups and every day people are freaking out about parents not keeping their kids at home. These are mostly teenage kids. This has been going on for two weeks. How many more weeks are parents going to be berated for not keeping their kids in the house ?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Trump is saying there will be "suicides by the thousands" if the economy remains shut down.

And he wants to see churches packed on Easter Sunday...saying it would be beautiful.
Yes, this would be disastrous according to just about every expert I've heard opine on this. Put it this way, I've not seen a scientist who has come out in favor of this idea.

He's allowed to say "suicides by the thousands" without substantiation, but scientists shouldn't be referencing data-backed epidemiology curves for exponential spread of infectious disease in support of continuing the shutdown?

Old 03-25-2020, 08:00 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m on a few Facebook groups and every day people are freaking out about parents not keeping their kids at home. These are mostly teenage kids. This has been going on for two weeks. How many more weeks are parents going to be berated for not keeping their kids in the house ?

Months, as long as people keep leaving their home, more than one person goes to the grocery store more than once a week, and people who are bored keep wandering around Target.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:06 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
We need cogent, honest, and inspiring leadership - we unfortunately have the polar opposite at a time when our country needs it the most.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Months, as long as people keep leaving their home, more than one person goes to the grocery store more than once a week, and people who are bored keep wandering around Target.
I truly don't understand why people don't 'get' this at this point.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Plenty of people don’t get it. I have never had teenagers but I’m seeing the most complaints about them. Maybe they’re sneaking out? Maybe they have parents who are essential employees and are still at work. I do think a lot of people do get it as well. Doesn’t mean they don’t wonder how long they’ll be confined to home

I want to know when my office will be opening up again. No one knows. I take the train. I’m not going on the train anytime soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts