Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Well, multiple news outlets are reporting that Ford is teaming up with GE and 3M to make respirators. I don't know when the resulting equipt will appear, but I applaud them for giving it a go!

"Ford is helping with ways to increase the manufacturing capacity of 3M’s PAPR designs and collaborating on developing a new design, using parts from both companies. The companies have been locating 'off-the-shelf' common parts to make the PAPRs, including fans from the Ford F-150 trucks’ cooled seats for airflow, 3M HEPA air filters to filter airborne contaminants and portable tool battery packs to power the respirators."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fo...ent-2020-03-24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:28 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Plenty of people don’t get it. I have never had teenagers but I’m seeing the most complaints about them. Maybe they’re sneaking out? Maybe they have parents who are essential employees and are still at work. I do think a lot of people do get it as well. Doesn’t mean they don’t wonder how long they’ll be confined to home

I want to know when my office will be opening up again. No one knows. I take the train. I’m not going on the train anytime soon

No one knows, but we do know the one thing to keep pushing off that date to get out of this faster is unnecessary exposure further spreading disease.

I wonder how long I'll be confined at home. Hell, I wonder if my university is going to be able to accept students back to campus in the fall. But wondering and feeling anxious about what's next is not an excuse to prolong the situation for everyone.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, multiple news outlets are reporting that Ford is teaming up with GE and 3M to make respirators. I don't know when the resulting equipt will appear, but I applaud them for giving it a go!
They will also be making filtered breathing helmets using off the shelf parts. They will be using a ventilated seat fan from an F150, power-tool batteries, and filters from 3M. Very creative and fast design.

I drove into the office today to grab some items. The roads were empty during peak rush time. I've never seen it so sparse. I know I was joking a bit about everyone deeming themselves essential....but perhaps people are heeding the advice.

And yeah...we had to sit our two oldest kids down and explain to them how they can't play with neighborhood pals, or schoolmates right now. It took some time, but I think they get it now considering their grandmother just got out of the hospital. (although we didn't elaborate why)

Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
How old are your kids? My kids kind of get it at 3 and 5 but they don’t seem bothered at all. We don’t have any kids in our neighborhood so that isn’t an issue.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 AM

7 and 7. (not twins).

They want to go to places like Monkey Joes, or Skyzone, or go over the kids house up the street to play. They are viewing this as an early start to summer vacation and we are trying to reign that it. I can see how it would be tough for teenagers. But, they are starting to understand.

Homeschooling is an issue. They go to different schools (one is in RI), so one school sent home a minor amount of things to do, and the other school system sent home a packet with a number of online modules. There's a mandatory attendance sign in each AM before 10AM, otherwise there's a phone call home to the parents by noon. The teachers are actually recording themselves doing lessons and "teaching" the kids via online video. Then they do math and such via online modules. I give them credit for coming up with a good system so fast, but its impossible to do during the day with a 2year old in the mix and two working parents.

My wife is the type that refuses to use screen time as a substitute, so they have a fairly structured routine now. Just tough fitting work around that.

But yeah...it's eerie to see the roads so empty.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
This isn’t an easy issue to solve....
Why will it take over a year to get a vaccine? ...
Because it takes that long to develop and test and confirm a vaccine. Always has, and likely always will.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
I’m on a few Facebook groups and every day people are freaking out about parents not keeping their kids at home. These are mostly teenage kids. This has been going on for two weeks. How many more weeks are parents going to be berated for not keeping their kids in the house ?
Are you suggesting that parents shouldn't keep their kids in the house?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Because it takes that long to develop and test and confirm a vaccine. Always has, and likely always will.

Yup.

The fact that trials have already begun on some proposed vaccine's is incredible. Fastest ever.

Some limited samples may be available in the fall. There's also evidence the virus is mutating slowly enough that one vaccine may have very long term coverage.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...vaccine-146208

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...g-on-a-vaccine

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-25-2020 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-25-2020, 10:34 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yup.

...There's also evidence the virus is mutating slowly enough that one vaccine may have very long term coverage.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...vaccine-146208
If that turns out to be the case, what good news!

Old 03-25-2020, 10:53 AM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Doctors hoarding untested ‘anti-coronavirus’ drugs for themselves

^ disgraceful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts